Pre-Planning for a Custom Manual Wheelchair-Need Advice

Groot

I am Groot
Hey, y’all, I’ve been doing some thinking and recently decided that based on the reasons listed below, a custom made manual ultralight wheelchair is the best option for me vs. the Quantum I’ve had my eyes on since forever. The main sticking points for a manual chair over a powerchair are:
  1. Since I already have a powerchair, it makes little sense to get another one right now. Plus it’ll add versatility to my options on my mobility should a situation arise where powerchairs aren’t allowed or getting around somewhere that makes more sense to bring a manual. (Like a cruise.)
  2. It wouldn’t “Force” my mom (who drives me around since I don’t drive) into a custom van (she loves her Blazer right now).
  3. If me and my mom can’t lift my portable powerchair in and out of the trunk for a while, the manual will be MUCH LIGHTER and I can probably get it in/out by myself (50 pounds for my powerchair vs. 20-ish pounds for the manual I’m considering.)
  4. MUCH CHEAPER than my dream powerchair. (Quantum, which is around $20k vs. less than $10k for the manual.)

Listed below are the makes/models I’m currently looking at and the pros/cons of each one. If anyone here knows of these chairs, or any other important things to consider, please let me know so that I can make a well-informed decision. (Cause I find myself going back and forth from one option to another and saying “Well, maybe this one makes more sense.”) Thanks, guys.IMG_8070.jpegIMG_8071.jpegIMG_8073.jpegIMG_8074.jpegIMG_8075.jpeg IMG_8076.jpegIMG_8077.jpegIMG_8078.jpegIMG_8079.jpegIMG_8080.jpeg

Ok so I have some general advice and happy to follow up any questions you have. I've been using a manual ultralight chair for 38 years so I have a good bit of experience as well as being involved in adaptive sports so I've seen a lot of chairs and a lot of options.

General Advice:
1. Minimize moving parts: this doesn't apply to a feature you need due to your particular disability but if there is a feature that you think is a nice to have but it adds moving parts, don't get it. For example, if you don't need a folding chair, don't get a folding chair. It just adds stuff that will break over time. There was a chair several years back that had shocks in the seat. Neat idea, absolutely terrible in real life.
2. Don't worry too much about straps, belts, bags, etc. The vast majority of those things can be purchased later if you need them so if you like a chair but it doesn't have a leg strap, you can add it.
3. Chair height: I see you list chair height in your cons quite a bit and most are limited to 18 or 19". There is a good reason for that. Once the chair gets taller you need bigger wheels. Wheels are a large part of your weight so the chair weighs more and is less stable the higher it is. Unless you have a very specific need for a higher seat height, 18 or 19 is going to be plenty. Basketball wheelchairs can only max out at 21" and that is a very specific use case, daily chairs are better off not being too tall.
4. I would not get a Carbon Fiber frame yet. It isn't common enough yet to get help if you needed it. In a pinch, titanium or aluminum chairs are relatively serviceable at a competent metal shop.
5. Color Anodizing rubs off.
6. Don't get one armed drive if you don't need it. You can push any manual chair with one hand once you figure it out.
7. If you're putting the chair in a vehicle yourself, you'll likely take the wheels off so you won't really be lifting the full weight of the chair. The wheels weigh more than you probably expect.

1. Minimize moving parts: this doesn't apply to a feature you need due to your particular disability but if there is a feature that you think is a nice to have but it adds moving parts, don't get it. For example, if you don't need a folding chair, don't get a folding chair. It just adds stuff that will break over time. There was a chair several years back that had shocks in the seat. Neat idea, absolutely terrible in real life.
I think I might’ve heard something about that chai, idk if it’s still around
2. Don't worry too much about straps, belts, bags, etc. The vast majority of those things can be purchased later if you need them so if you like a chair but it doesn't have a leg strap, you can add it.
Yeah, the only straps I’d get on the chair are the seat belt and the calf strap.
3. Chair height: I see you list chair height in your cons quite a bit and most are limited to 18 or 19". There is a good reason for that. Once the chair gets taller you need bigger wheels. Wheels are a large part of your weight so the chair weighs more and is less stable the higher it is. Unless you have a very specific need for a higher seat height, 18 or 19 is going to be plenty. Basketball wheelchairs can only max out at 21" and that is a very specific use case, daily chairs are better off not being too tall.
Oh, okay, that makes a lot of sense. I think I just learned something new bout wheel height and seat height.
4. I would not get a Carbon Fiber frame yet. It isn't common enough yet to get help if you needed it. In a pinch, titanium or aluminum chairs are relatively serviceable at a competent metal shop.
Yeah, the only dedicated Carbon Fiber chair I’ve seen TiLite just came out with it and I’m too afraid to look at the price.
5. Color Anodizing rubs off.
Did not know that. So it’s better to not get it?
6. Don't get one armed drive if you don't need it. You can push any manual chair with one hand once you figure it out.
Yeah, but I only have complete use of 1 hand so… that’s gonna take some more thinking to figure out if I really need it.
7. If you're putting the chair in a vehicle yourself, you'll likely take the wheels off so you won't really be lifting the full weight of the chair. The wheels weigh more than you probably expect.
Will taking the wheels off take too much time vs. leaving them on? Plus, I’m opting for Spinergys vs. Mags because I read that they’re easier for pushin, lightest weight, and I love that you can color the spokes. (AKA Spinergys are the Cadillacs of Rear Wheels.)

I think I might’ve heard something about that chai, idk if it’s still around

Yeah, the only straps I’d get on the chair are the seat belt and the calf strap.

Oh, okay, that makes a lot of sense. I think I just learned something new bout wheel height and seat height.

Yeah, the only dedicated Carbon Fiber chair I’ve seen TiLite just came out with it and I’m too afraid to look at the price.

Did not know that. So it’s better to not get it?

Yeah, but I only have complete use of 1 hand so… that’s gonna take some more thinking to figure out if I really need it.

Will taking the wheels off take too much time vs. leaving them on? Plus, I’m opting for Spinergys vs. Mags because I read that they’re easier for pushin, lightest weight, and I love that you can color the spokes. (AKA Spinergys are the Cadillacs of Rear Wheels.)
For the anodizing it’s personal choice just letting you know it can scrape off depending how rough you are with your chair.

As for limited hand use, is it only your hand that is impacted or the whole arm? Pushing a chair is mostly arm work. The hands are responsible for some finer movements but I know plenty of folks with useless hands or no hands that can push a manual with no issues.

Taking the wheels off doesn’t take but a second and makes putting the chair in a car infinitely easier. If you have hand issues look into quad release axles for the wheels so you have an easier time taking them off with reduced hand use. And yes 100% a spinergy fan. They are lighter and better made than everything else on the market. Other wheels are hot garbage.

As for limited hand use, is it only your hand that is impacted or the whole arm? Pushing a chair is mostly arm work. The hands are responsible for some finer movements but I know plenty of folks with useless hands or no hands that can push a manual with no issues.
It’s pretty much the hand, since I can’t do much fine tune movements (like pointing). It does have the strength and can grab a handrim to push though. (I have done it before, but with a standard wheelchair with mags instead of Spinergys.)
Taking the wheels off doesn’t take but a second and makes putting the chair in a car infinitely easier. If you have hand issues look into quad release axles for the wheels so you have an easier time taking them off with reduced hand use. And yes 100% a spinergy fan. They are lighter and better made than everything else on the market. Other wheels are hot garbage.
Agreed might look into the quad release. But I can get out of the chair then take the wheels off if necessary.

Edit: Just looked at the order forms and only the Motion Composite chairs would allow for the Quad axles with Spinergys.

Last edited:
Have you had any custom chairs before? Are you looking for a rigid chair or a folding chair?
Depending on the back height and type of chair, the chair will fit into vehicles differently.

We did TiLite Aero Z for my daughter from an online vendor (1800wheelchair), but she got her first wheelchair before she was 3 and has had many since. So, we knew a lot about what we were looking for - things we liked and things we didn't or that didn't work well. The website also had a PT who worked with us by email and video call. If it's your first custom manual chair, you probably won't know which options are the best for you and which are just added expense that won't really make a big difference.

As voxparse already mentioned, things like seatbelt type and calf strap can be added at any time. Some things can't be changed after ordering - like seat width and depth. Some chairs have more adjustability built in. For example, TiLite Aero Z and TiLite TRA have a lot adjustability and are good for any user. TiLite TR, CR1 and ZR have much less adjustability and are best for people who already know all/most of the parameters they need - because many of the settings need to be ordered on those chairs and can't be changed. I know people online who ordered a less adjustable chair and found it didn't work for them - more adjustability is better, especially in a first chair.

I saw you listed light up casters on at least one chair. If you want them, they can usually be ordered afterwards. But, my daughter had them on her old Quickie wheelchair and although they were cute, we ordered soft roll casters on her Aero Z - they are easier to roll and give a softer ride.
Another thing many people don't realize is that the weight listed for the wheelchair is the frame only. Everything else you add - tires, casters, seating, footrest add weight. That's one of the places you want to make sure the choices you make are things you actually need and will use. Otherwise, they are just added weight.
If you can, it's a good idea to at least visit a showroom where you can see some of the chairs. My daughter's manual chairs had always been Quickies, but when we actually could see and compare some chairs, the TiLites were a LOT nicer and more sturdy. She has swing away padded armrests. The TiLite ones are easy to swing away, but stay solidly in place when in use. That was important to her and really bugged her on the Quickies because they were 'wobbly'.

Another thing to keep in mind if you order online, you may need to install some pieces yourself. We had to install seatbelt, seatback hardware because they came from different factorie. That was not a problem for us since we are pretty familiar with the care and feeding of wheelchairs. Also important to know where you could get it serviced if needed.

Have you had any custom chairs before?
No, this‘ll be my first custom.
Are you looking for a rigid chair or a folding chair?
Depending on the back height and type of chair, the chair will fit into vehicles differently.
It depends I think. It fitting into my mom’s car without struggle I think is the most important.
We did TiLite Aero Z for my daughter from an online vendor (1800wheelchair), but she got her first wheelchair before she was 3 and has had many since. So, we knew a lot about what we were looking for - things we liked and things we didn't or that didn't work well. The website also had a PT who worked with us by email and video call. If it's your first custom manual chair, you probably won't know which options are the best for you and which are just added expense that won't really make a big difference.
I’ve been doing research on different chairs for almost 10 years now and I think I have a general idea of what’s out there. I do know that I want the chair to be optimal for self-pushing. So I’m thinking that the Spinergys (lightest weight wheels and of course the colored spokes), either getting a chair without armrests or ONLY the tubular kind (the regular armrests/armpads would interfere with my left arm and would most likely get in the way), solid tires (so that I don’t have to worry about reinflating them every so often.), and if it’s an option, a fixed frame (I read that the less moving parts on a chair, the better.)
As voxparse already mentioned, things like seatbelt type and calf strap can be added at any time. Some things can't be changed after ordering - like seat width and depth. Some chairs have more adjustability built in. For example, TiLite Aero Z and TiLite TRA have a lot adjustability and are good for any user. TiLite TR, CR1 and ZR have much less adjustability and are best for people who already know all/most of the parameters they need - because many of the settings need to be ordered on those chairs and can't be changed. I know people online who ordered a less adjustable chair and found it didn't work for them - more adjustability is better, especially in a first chair.
Are TiLites the best in adjustability?
I saw you listed light up casters on at least one chair. If you want them, they can usually be ordered afterwards. But, my daughter had them on her old Quickie wheelchair and although they were cute, we ordered soft roll casters on her Aero Z - they are easier to roll and give a softer ride.
Hm… I am leaning towards the soft rolls on the other models.
Another thing many people don't realize is that the weight listed for the wheelchair is the frame only. Everything else you add - tires, casters, seating, footrest add weight. That's one of the places you want to make sure the choices you make are things you actually need and will use. Otherwise, they are just added weight.
If you can, it's a good idea to at least visit a showroom where you can see some of the chairs. My daughter's manual chairs had always been Quickies, but when we actually could see and compare some chairs, the TiLites were a LOT nicer and more sturdy. She has swing away padded armrests. The TiLite ones are easy to swing away, but stay solidly in place when in use. That was important to her and really bugged her on the Quickies because they were 'wobbly'.
I wish that I could get swing aways on the TiLites (They’re not compatible with Heavy Duty). But I can get em on all of the other ones.
Another thing to keep in mind if you order online, you may need to install some pieces yourself. We had to install seatbelt, seatback hardware because they came from different factorie. That was not a problem for us since we are pretty familiar with the care and feeding of wheelchairs. Also important to know where you could get it serviced if needed.
Yeah, still undecided whether or not I’m gonna buy online or do the vendor route.

Update: I was able to talk to my mom about this and together we were able to eliminate some of the chairs for different reasons.

Rogue ALX: No Hemi Lock or Transit available.

Catalyst 5 (Both Spinergy and One Arm Drive: No Transit available.

Catalyst 5VX: No Transit and no Hemi Lock available.

Catalyst 4C: The Cons far outweighed the Pros.

Aero X: No 8° Bend, no 1 Piece Footrest, and no Tubular Armrests available.

2GX: No 8° Bend, no 1 Piece Footrest, and no Tubular Armrests available.

Helio C2: That price alone is scary.

So now it’s between the Quickie 2, Helio A7, and the Helio A6…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter