Pre-Opening Shows

carlbarry

DIS Veteran
I inadvertently discovered the pre-opening festivities at Disney Studios last time I was there. In February, I hope to go to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. My question is (are?): are there pre-opening shows at these parks, and what time should I get there for the show? Thanks.

What is the pre-opening show at MGM and what time does it occur?

I arrived maybe 15 minutes before 9 am, and much to my surprise, people were being allowed into the entrance of the park. I heard what seemed like someone yelling instructions coming over the speakers. I walked down the "main street" a bit, because I saw a lot of people there. There was a cast member on a flatbed truck, with an old-time movie camera on a tripod, and some "assistants." He apparently was "directing" a movie (in a slightly Germanic accent), as to who would open the park. To the sounds of "There's No Business Like Show Business" the park officially opened, with the "Director" telling people which way to walk, and repeatedly, "Don't look at the camera!" It was very amusing.

MK has all the characters arrive on the train. We saw the Studios show also but nothing at Epcot or AK

I inadvertently discovered the pre-opening festivities at Disney Studios last time I was there. In February, I hope to go to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. My question is (are?): are there pre-opening shows at these parks, and what time should I get there for the show? Thanks.

They do a little countdown and song at AK too and some of the characters arrive in a safari vehicle. If I remember correctly, it is right in front of the Tree of Life. I would always get there about a half-hour before opening time.

How do these pre-opening shows differ from rope-drop?? We always stay out way too late (Magic hours) to get up early for park opening but I feel like we miss out and would really like to experience this. Is it really busy early??

How do these pre-opening shows differ from rope-drop?? We always stay out way too late (Magic hours) to get up early for park opening but I feel like we miss out and would really like to experience this. Is it really busy early??

I assume "rope drop" means when guests are allowed into the park. My experience at Studios was that we were allowed in, up to a certain point, and at 9 am, the "rope dropped" so to speak, and we were allowed into the entire park. The 3 times I have gone to the parks (MK, Epcot, Studios) I went off-season (early March and early December) when crowds were very light anyway. But when the parks opened, crowds definitely were very scarce. By noon, I was able to see many, many attractions. My biggest laugh is that at Studios, at 9:10 am, there were 9 people in the audience for Sounds Dangerous, and I had the after-show room all to myself, with not even a cast member in sight!

Unfortunately we always go in the summer. I just can't bring myself to take the kids out of school. I figure if we miss something one year cuz of the crowds....we'll just make sure we see it the next year. The last two years we've gone over 4th of July and was unbelievably crowded!! We will NEVER be in MK on the 4th of July EVER again. By the time we actually get to the parks, it's close to 1-2pm. Magic hours during the summer months can be really late and it's kinda fun to say that you were on Space Mountain at 2am but it does make everyone sleep in the next day. I really want to try to get to the parks before opening-time this July. We are staying at AK. I know it's farther from most of the parks but what time do you think we should plan on catching a bus to make it for the Pre-opening shows?? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter