Practical little tips on POR Royal Rooms

Prose

DIS Veteran
We all know that the POR Royal Rooms are beautiful, but I am a practical sort. I wanted to pass along a couple of little tips about the rooms that discovered on our trip last week....they are just silly little things, but I hope they help.

- The bedspreads are HEAVY. Seriously, I felt for housekeeping having to wrestle those puppies around all the time. They are so heavy that you might need extra hands if you want to fold them up and put them aside.

- The outlet plates are a fancy gold with a scroll decoration. They stick out from the wall a bit more than normal, and we found that the plug on DD's phone charger (Samsung) was too wide for them. There are plenty of outlets, though...a plug on the wall behind the little table, two on the bedside table, an outlet on the far side of the second bed, and an outlet by the sink.

- They must use the energy-efficient bulbs, because the bathroom light was really dim at first. You had to let it warm up a bit to get fully bright.

- We had no trouble unpacking and storing clothes for three people. We each took a drawer under the TV, and then stored stuff on the shelf under the sink and on the one above the clothes rod. The shelf under the sink is really deep and you can store a lot there.

- The safe was surprisingly roomy. We kept two iPads, an iPhone, an iPod Touch and DD's basic cell phone in there with no problem.

- The fridge is considerably smaller than the cubby it is stored in. if you have dry foods like chips, granola bars, poptarts, etc, you could probably scoot the fridge all the way to one side and have storage space for them in the space that's left.

- the Fridge didn't feel very cold at first, but it kept our drinks really cold.

- I have read some people commenting that the new beds seem harder than the old ones. I don't remember how the old beds were, but the new queen beds are quite firm. We sleep with a memory foam topper at home, and these beds felt really hard to us.

- There is a "box" around the TV on the dresser (maybe someone can post a photo). Be aware that there is a small gap between the box and the dresser top. It's about 4 inches wide on each side of the TV and goes all the way back to the back of the dresser, so it would be possible to accidentally slide a KTTW card in there and not know it is there.

- the toiletries are H2O in the Blushing Orange scent. The shampoo and conditioner are in the little bottles with the tip-back Mickey ears - very cute. The bottles are the squeezable ones (yay!). There is no shower gel, just bar soap.

We loved the room, and DD really enjoyed the fireworks on the beds. It did take us a couple of days to stop trying to move the letter from Tiana off the table! :)

Hi
Thanks for your review!! Did the hard beds give you a backache? We stayed at Pop last November and had to change resorts because the beds were so hard. I don't mind firm, but not rock hard. I'd like to stay at POR again, but am now concerned about the beds.

We all know that the POR Royal Rooms are beautiful, but I am a practical sort. I wanted to pass along a couple of little tips about the rooms that discovered on our trip last week....they are just silly little things, but I hope they help.

- The bedspreads are HEAVY. Seriously, I felt for housekeeping having to wrestle those puppies around all the time. They are so heavy that you might need extra hands if you want to fold them up and put them aside.

- The outlet plates are a fancy gold with a scroll decoration. They stick out from the wall a bit more than normal, and we found that the plug on DD's phone charger (Samsung) was too wide for them. There are plenty of outlets, though...a plug on the wall behind the little table, two on the bedside table, an outlet on the far side of the second bed, and an outlet by the sink.

- They must use the energy-efficient bulbs, because the bathroom light was really dim at first. You had to let it warm up a bit to get fully bright.

- We had no trouble unpacking and storing clothes for three people. We each took a drawer under the TV, and then stored stuff on the shelf under the sink and on the one above the clothes rod. The shelf under the sink is really deep and you can store a lot there.

- The safe was surprisingly roomy. We kept two iPads, an iPhone, an iPod Touch and DD's basic cell phone in there with no problem.

- The fridge is considerably smaller than the cubby it is stored in. if you have dry foods like chips, granola bars, poptarts, etc, you could probably scoot the fridge all the way to one side and have storage space for them in the space that's left.

- the Fridge didn't feel very cold at first, but it kept our drinks really cold.

- I have read some people commenting that the new beds seem harder than the old ones. I don't remember how the old beds were, but the new queen beds are quite firm. We sleep with a memory foam topper at home, and these beds felt really hard to us.

- There is a "box" around the TV on the dresser (maybe someone can post a photo). Be aware that there is a small gap between the box and the dresser top. It's about 4 inches wide on each side of the TV and goes all the way back to the back of the dresser, so it would be possible to accidentally slide a KTTW card in there and not know it is there.

- the toiletries are H2O in the Blushing Orange scent. The shampoo and conditioner are in the little bottles with the tip-back Mickey ears - very cute. The bottles are the squeezable ones (yay!). There is no shower gel, just bar soap.

We loved the room, and DD really enjoyed the fireworks on the beds. It did take us a couple of days to stop trying to move the letter from Tiana off the table! :)

As to the refrigerator not feeling cold, that is normal. Refrigerators actually work better when there are item inside.

Thanks for the tidbits of info. We leave on Friday for our annual fall trip and can't wait!

Thanks for the review. I'm staying in one of these rooms next week.

The beds could be an issue for me. Now I'm debating packing a heating pad for my back. I hate firm/hard beds - I never sleep well on them and I always wake up with a backache on those.

We stayed at POR in September and found the new mattresses to be great. Not too hard or too soft, but a good nights' rest. If you get there and find the mattresses not to your liking, then you can take action, but I would not change resorts in advance ue to comments about the bedding from these boards.

I used to work in the hotel industry and in many hotels, you can request a mattress topper/pad - it's usually one of those egg crate type toppers that go under the sheet, but make it a little more comfortable for those who don't like a firm mattress. I can't speak to whether or not Disney offers this at any hotels, but it's worth asking. You'd be surprised at some of the things hotels have readily available for guests at no charge!

I found the mattresses to be fine but my girls and I found the pillows to be awful- much too hard! I didn't read until after we returned home that people request softer pillows. I definitely recommend doing that!
It is a darling room- enjoy!

Oh....and we LOVED our garden view location! Ground floor, a little behind the stairs, but right in the front of Oak Manor's courtyard. It was so convenient to be able to go in the courtyard to make a call or for some extra space after the kids were in bed while still keeping an eye on the room. Also, since most of the doors of the ground floor rooms can be accessed directly, without walking by lots of other rooms, the traffic in front of our window was minimal. This was a huge privacy plus! :thumbsup2

Just a thought about your comment about the space around the fridge and your idea of moving it over and storing stuff in the resulting space. Fridges need ventilation space to avoid overheating. If you shove it up against one side and then cram the other side full of 'stuff', you are possibly going to overheat the fridge. Best leave it be.

We didn't end up with backaches, but had a bit more tossing and turning. I wouldn't change resorts because of it unless you are a die hard soft bed sleeper.

The location we had in Oak Manor was really convenient. Rooms in Parterre by the bridge would have been great, too....

Just a thought about your comment about the space around the fridge and your idea of moving it over and storing stuff in the resulting space. Fridges need ventilation space to avoid overheating. If you shove it up against one side and then cram the other side full of 'stuff', you are possibly going to overheat the fridge. Best leave it be.

Ah, true. I would definitely make sure to not block the back of the fridge, but there were several inches of space beside and above the fridge. I wouldn't cram stuff in, but a box of cereal or granola bars would still leave ventilation space.

We are going next month, and we are looking forward to this room! Glad to hear the fridge is in the room. How was the wi-fi, if you used it?

We didn't request a specific room (travel agent booked us), did you request a specific type? I am wondering what the chances are of getting a garden room when we go. :)

We are going next month, and we are looking forward to this room! Glad to hear the fridge is in the room. How was the wi-fi, if you used it?

We didn't request a specific room (travel agent booked us), did you request a specific type? I am wondering what the chances are of getting a garden room when we go. :)

We found the wifi to be just fine. We had two iPads going before bed each evening with no problem. I did find that there's no wifi at the quiet pool, though.

We just reserved a regular room and were facing the parking lot, second room from the corner closest to the quiet pool in Oak. The view didn't bother us at all. The landscaping is so nice overall that even the parking lot views see trees.

I am hoping for Oak. I just want to be closer to the pool, bus stop, etc. :) Thanks for the reply about the WiFi. I was wondering how it would be.

We stayed in the RR in April of this year. Our building was PP all the way in the back facing the parking lot. We did not have much luck with the wifi at all. I had a iPad & notebook. I had no luck with either. The rooms were really nice the resort was beautiful but I don't thnk I will stay there again. I prefer a smaller resort too big for me

Take my word for it - POR's beds are GREAT for BACKS. I did not wake up in pain, nor did I wake during the night (with recent cervical surgery, & past lumbar surgery.) Trust me on this one! :thumbsup2

We stay there back in March and I really liked the beds, I nor my bad back like a pillow top bed:) We really like the size of POR, it is such a great stroll early in the morning and at night. There would be times we would get off at the main bldg. just to take a relaxing walk back to the room. I guess we must be nuts:lmao:
If the fridge does not get cold enough, the temp control is in the back right of the fridge(if facing the front). We had to change our setting to be colder.
To one of the PP a garden view room is a category now, so if you paid for a standard view(parking lot) the odds are that you will not get a garden view.

Just returned recently from POR Royal Room - my sister and I loved it. I faxed my request a week before check-in for a corner room in Oak Manor and we got it! It was right on the river - just a perfect room. Right next to the quiet pool.

One thing I did want to mention is the blue marble piece seperating the bedroom from the sink area - it was extremely slippery - be careful!! We kept forgetting not to step over it and almost went flying a bunch of times - we would laugh but could have really gotten hurt - even found the rugs a little slippery - maybe Mousekeeping sprayed something to clean that landed on the floors and made them that made that way :confused3

We did not have any Wifi issues. We walked over the bridge to the first bus stop when going to the parks - worked out great. We did a split stay and left for the Poly - just want to say the CS at POR had such better offerings; pasta made your way/salad made your way.

Anyone going - enjoy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter