• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Powhatan Plantation in Williamsburg

intheworks

Mouseketeer
Anyone ever stayed here before? We are going for a week in October and will be staying at this resort. Does anyone know what grocery store might be close and how they are price wise? Also if you stayed here, how was the kitchen accessories? I want to plan on cooking some of our own meals and am trying to do some preplanning. :)

We didn't stay at this resort ....we were at King's Creek, but I do remember their being several grocery stores around the area. I think Powhatan is one of the older resorts in the area.

What I found helpful when planning our trip last April was to visit the forum board for Williamsburg on TripAdvisor. Got a lot of great recommendations and help from there.

Hope it's helpful to you too! Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks :) I have browsed the trip advisor forums for Williamsburg briefly. I must say the reviews I have read on Powhatan aren't too favorable so I am a little apprehensive. I got a great deal, though so hopefully all will be good.

I stayed there in 2005. The kitchen was ok and I don't remember the name of the grocery store. I do remember the prices are more than here in MN but that happens most places we travel to.

It was an ok resort but I would chose another one if I went to that area again.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit there last summer. To be honest, the biggest issue I had was with the cleanliness (or lack of) in our unit. It was dirtier than any hotel room we have ever stayed in and just seemed to lack basic maintenance. There were always canadian geese hanging out on the front sidewalk, which are cute to watch, but they leave behind a nasty mess that you end up walking through to get inside (and they hiss if you get near them).

The kitchen did have a few utensils, probably enough to cook a very basic meal. The location was pretty good and there were restaurants and grocery stores nearby.

We usually stay in Williamsburg at least once a year and I have taken Powhatan Plantation off our list. I have heard good things about the other timeshare places (I think one is a Marriott) in the area and will probably try them in the future.

make sure you request a newer unit. we were placed in an old unit and it was awful! dirty!!! and there were ants everywhere. after much complaining they moved us to a newer unit. so much better! having your own hot tub was nice- so also request a first floor unit. there is a grocery store really close- almost across the street. I don't remember anything lacking in the kitchen. if you are going to Busch gardens or the water park- ask for directions to go the back way- much quicker.over all the resort was nice but that older unit-ugh!

There is a Martin's grocery store closeby. It is in a shopping center with some fast food places as well as a Target.

I stayed there May of 2005. We stayed in one of the newly renovated rooms. 3 floors and a bed so high I did need the step stool to get on it lol. My family and I really liked it there. I plan to go back. 2 of my friends have their home timeshares there. We also like the proximity to Colonial Williamsburg.

If you take 199 out to Lightfoot, their is a nice new Wal-Mart out there. Martins is okay, but it's the highest price grocery store in town. There is also a Food Lion by William and Mary (College).

You will be close to Colonial Williamsburg (you don't need a ticket if you just want to walk around, the tickets only get you into buildings.) and of course, James town which is nice and has a nice ship replica. I think the interaction with people is MUCH better at James Town than Colonial Williamsburg.

There is also a free drive on Ferry ride from Williamsburg to Surry County. Pretty cool if you've never ridden a ferry. I think it runs on the hour, although it depends on the time of day. I use to take it daily to work.

I would also check out Pierce's BBQ which is out by Wal-Mart kinda. Been there for AGES! It's good stuff and frequently visited by the locals.

Oh no, Martin's is not the most expensive grocery store in Wmsbg. Fresh Market is on Rt. 5 and while its a little pricey, the food is fabulous. The produce is outstanding, they have a butcher in the store and delicious baked goods. Not an everyday shopping place for me, but when I need special occasion meat, (ie. Thanksgiving or Christmas) this is where I go.

Oh no, Martin's is not the most expensive grocery store in Wmsbg. Fresh Market is on Rt. 5 and while its a little pricey, the food is fabulous. The produce is outstanding, they have a butcher in the store and delicious baked goods. Not an everyday shopping place for me, but when I need special occasion meat, (ie. Thanksgiving or Christmas) this is where I go.

Oh yeah, forgot about them! They have the best pecan pastries in the world there!!! Good stuff.

Thanks for the replys :) If I get a substandard unit I am not afaid to request to be moved :) We won't be spending that much time at the resort so if it's clean I will be OK with it. I got the entire week for $300 so old I can deal with...but not dirty lol. I have already requested a refurbished ground floor unit and plan on calling the resort closer to trip time to ask again.

What is the trick to getting through to a live person on the phone?? I have literally been calling for an hour, and they claim that there is extremely high call volume?! I am trying to request a ground floor refurbished room and I get a reservationist who keeps putting me through to a voicemail. She says they will call me back. I said if I cant get through to a live person in an hour I have severe concerns about staying there. (Cant cancel got it on hotwire). However she said she will give it to her manager and that was 15 mins ago. I ask as you say you got through to request a change as I am doing thanks to your post. Hope you have a great trip!!!

Ok, finally got through, only because I called back again, and threatened to cancel if she didnt put me through to someone, I got the same answer you probably did, it is a request, not a quarantee....

We just stayed there in June for 2 nights. We also got a great rate! Our unit was clean, but there were a couple of complaints. There was a jacuzzi in our unit and it was very loud. And there was no way to shut the dang thing off! My 2nd complaint was that I thought the staff were pretty rude. Well, they were nice at first. But then I told them I was not interested in purchasing a time share with them. On our rental paperwork, it said nothing about having to attend a timeshare demonstration, so I refused to go. I just politely said no thank you. Well, they got ticked off and just turned their back on me. I had to keep saying "excuse me" in order to get our parking permit.
Had I known this was a timeshare thing, I would have never stayed there. Anyway, after that little run in with the front desk, I never went back to them.

Back to your question. There were a couple of stores around. Prices are similar to the stores around WDW. They are not as cheap as your local prices. But the place is in a good location. And our kitchen was very well equiped. It had dish soap, paper towels, plates, cups, etc.

Thanks for the replys :) If I get a substandard unit I am not afaid to request to be moved :) We won't be spending that much time at the resort so if it's clean I will be OK with it. I got the entire week for $300 so old I can deal with...but not dirty lol. I have already requested a refurbished ground floor unit and plan on calling the resort closer to trip time to ask again.

How did you get that rate for a week? Is that their going rate? That's pretty good!

Try this Google map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=3601%20Ironbound%20Road,Williamsburg,Virginia+23188

Type "grocery store" in the search nearby field.

The Ukrop's store listed is now a Martin's. There is also a Target in that shopping center. Farm Fresh is a local chain that has dropped their prices slightly in the last few years and they double coupons.

Hope this helps!

We shopped at Farm Fresh. It was very clean and had some sales. Wish I had thought to bring my coupons along. We still found the prices to be high compared to our stores here in Kansas. But that is expected in a tourist area.

I can't say what it's like more recently, but my husband and I stayed at Powhatan Plantation for our honeymoon in Fall 2006 (since, thanks to his parent's timeshare, the stay was free for us!). The rooms were very clean and lovely--we had a renovated unit. Very quiet, lots of wildlife around, and there was a Wal-Mart relatively close. We thought it was great!

Not a conventional romantic honeymoon resort, but a great location, and we had a great time ... we plan to go back in a few years when our daughter is older and can enjoy that area more!

We stayed in April for Spring Break, got a 3 bedroom/2bath, for $200 for 4 nights, it was 3 stories,had a liv. rm/3tvs/hot tub in a little room off master, kitchen, large dining room type table,2 walk-in closets,sitting room,patio, washer/dryer.Everything looked new,except the tvs hadn't been replaced w/flatscreens, and the kitchen cabinets were older.It was one of the best places we have ever stayed...got it from a guy on ebay, we split the cost with a friend...so we only paid $100 for our half, we did a time share tour they offered at check-in and they gave us $100...it wasn't too hi-pressure(we told them we only vacationed reg. in Orlando and stayed only on disney property and in Myrtle Beach, but lucky us they had no timeshares there..lol) so we stayed for FREE essentially...the groceries there weren't too bad. We loved Friendly's restaurant, and Yankee Candle, and outlets. There is a delicious Mexican store that has yummy ,cheap breads across from the outlets, next to a paint store.:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter