POTC closed during 50th celebration?

fitz747

Earning My Ears
I am going in October and am amazed that Disney would close one of their most popular attractions During their 50th anniversary celebration. I called Disney today and they would not tell me the refurbishment schedule for October. Where are people getting their information? It almost seems not even worth going if the Blue Bayou will be closed. It is my Moms favorite part about DL that WDW does not have. I hpoe someone out there can tell me the rumors are not true.

Depressed

I have also seen a couple of web pages that say they are closed. I am also wondering about October because I just booked my trip today and was hoping that there would not be very many closures because of the 50th anniversary

:confused3 :guilty:

They do not publish closure info for CMs more than 3 months at a time, current month and the next 2 months. Not sure where people are getting the info. The 50th celebration will run for 18 months. They can not disrupt their rehab schedule for 18 months. The rides can only run for a certain amount of time before going down for rehabs.

DL will have as many rides open as possible during the busy seasons, and you will always have ride closures during the off seasons (when schools are in session). No way around it, by going during an off time you run the risk of having the ride you most want to ride down. I guess the alternative would be for DL to close down for a couple months a year to rehab it all at once.

POTC needs some rehab. I've noticed some things not working right when I've been on it lately--namely some of the things that are supposed to make it look like it's on fire. I'm sure that with everything else they've been doing, they just didn't have the time and resources to get to it before the celebration.

And not only will Pirates (my favorite) be closed down, but also Small World (my autisitc son's favorite)!! I almost rescheduled our vacation because of it, but I can't. :sad2:

Small world closes down every october and January. Haunted mansion every September and January. Those are pretty much guarenteed becuase they go down for the make overs. At least those two are easy to plan around.

Donna

We noticed Haunted Mansion was closed our last visit in September of 02 and then saw it on that refurbishment schedule for this Sept, so that makes sense. (At least we get to go there this time!) That trip we also had the carousel closed (my dd was 5 at the time and disappointed) and the Matterhorn. (I think there was something else, too, but can't remember what.) I guess the alternative is going there in the summer, but that is just torture for us. (My DS is autistic and does not do well with crowds!)

the carousel was closed for about an entire year to make it wheelchair accessible and the matterhorn had some major work done to it also. those aren't normal closeures. iasw gets decorated for christmas, and then changed back and hm gets decorated for halloween through christmas and changed back every year. :flower:

TiggerCate said:
Do they ever finish refurbishments/decorating early?
Rarely - but it can happen - Space Mountain was originally scheduled to reopen in Nov 2005 - they're now trying to push to make it by July 2005.

Every Monday on Mouseplanet.com they tell you what is going on and updates about the park. That is where I saw it listed just last week. I also was going to go earlier but we just can't go to Disneyland with no Pirates so now we are going the week it is supposed to be re-open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter