Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

After finalizing our end of April to MCO, I started looking ahead to a September trip. I was surprised (and pretty disappointed) to find that Southwest had eliminated most of the non-stop flights to and from BUF. I decided to e-mail Southwest about this below is the reply that I received:

"I’m sorry to know that you’re disappointed with our recent flight schedule releases with regard to the one-way flights offered between Buffalo and Orlando. I’m happy to have an opportunity to offer some insight in to our decision-making process.

A big contributing factor to our ability (or inability) to achieve a return on invested capital is our flight schedule. Like any business, we have to analyze supply and demand in each market in order to determine sustainable service levels.

In the past few months, very few Customers traveled locally (on a point-to-point basis) between Orlando and Buffalo each day. Since local Passengers generate a large percentage of the revenue for any given flight, operating one-way service between those two cities without the support of enough local Passengers became more of a liability than an asset.

I know that an explanation does not solve the problem of getting you from point A to point B. Please know that we always want to offer the very best service to our Customers, whether it’s in the air, at the airport, or on the web. We know that the feedback we receive from Customers allows us an opportunity to review and improve the overall product we offer, and we appreciate your suggestions. We will be sure and pass them along in our monthly summary, which is distributed to our Senior Leadership."

Personally, I find the logic hard to believe as, whenever I have flown the early morning down and late evening back flights, they have been full or very close to it. But it does appear that they listen (in some ways) to customer feedback so my advice to those of you who are unhappy with the declining number of non-stop Southwest flights from your home airport would be to CONTACT THEM!! If enough people ask for it, maybe they will listen.

After finalizing our end of April to MCO, I started looking ahead to a September trip. I was surprised (and pretty disappointed) to find that Southwest had eliminated most of the non-stop flights to and from BUF. I decided to e-mail Southwest about this below is the reply that I received:

"I’m sorry to know that you’re disappointed with our recent flight schedule releases with regard to the one-way flights offered between Buffalo and Orlando. I’m happy to have an opportunity to offer some insight in to our decision-making process.

A big contributing factor to our ability (or inability) to achieve a return on invested capital is our flight schedule. Like any business, we have to analyze supply and demand in each market in order to determine sustainable service levels.

In the past few months, very few Customers traveled locally (on a point-to-point basis) between Orlando and Buffalo each day. Since local Passengers generate a large percentage of the revenue for any given flight, operating one-way service between those two cities without the support of enough local Passengers became more of a liability than an asset.

I know that an explanation does not solve the problem of getting you from point A to point B. Please know that we always want to offer the very best service to our Customers, whether it’s in the air, at the airport, or on the web. We know that the feedback we receive from Customers allows us an opportunity to review and improve the overall product we offer, and we appreciate your suggestions. We will be sure and pass them along in our monthly summary, which is distributed to our Senior Leadership."

Personally, I find the logic hard to believe as, whenever I have flown the early morning down and late evening back flights, they have been full or very close to it. But it does appear that they listen (in some ways) to customer feedback so my advice to those of you who are unhappy with the declining number of non-stop Southwest flights from your home airport would be to CONTACT THEM!! If enough people ask for it, maybe they will listen.

Thanks for that report. It seems Southwest did massive changes to their flight schedules. While DCA to MCO didn't lose any nonstop (there were only 2), and BWI still has a whole bunch, the flight times are very different. The flight I wanted home is an hour earlier than I had thought, and preferred.

Thanks for sharing! I noticed the same thing with nonstops from both PHL and EWR to MCO being cut way back, as I posted a few pages back. I was thinking of sending an email like you did, and I definitely will now, and hopefully others affected will too, and like you said, maybe they will take notice.

When will October open up for flights just booked Disney for my Birthday! And so excited to start the watching of prices for flights!

I did notice that in Sept. some dates only have 2 non-stop from PHL this does concern me. I maybe contacting them I could also go out of BWI but prefer PHL. Also the ones that have stops are more expensive.

Last edited:

I am waiting for March 16 when October flights will be released. This will be my first time booking a SW flight for 4 people, usually just me and my mom. Is it better to just book the full trip for all 4 tickets in one transaction or would it be better to do in two separate transactions - book the flight to MCO and pay for it, then book the return flight and pay for it? I think I've read on this thread it is easier to book this way in case you need to change flights? Also, I think I've read that you can find cheaper rates when searching for 2 tickets instead of 4. Is this correct? If so, it might be better to book 2 flights, then the other 2 flights. Do you think tickets will be cheaper on March 16 or should I wait? I'm a little concerned that there are only 2 morning direct flights to MCO and I want to try to get one of those direct flights, so if I wait for better rates, those flights may get filled. Thanks for your advice and comments.

I don't think you'll find cheaper flights round trip vs. one way. AFAIK, all Southwest fares are one way. Some do like to have different itineraries each direction and that's more personal preference than anything.

I would probably look at the prices for four people and two (or even one). If they're all the same, I'd book them all in one block. If not, take a look at the price for one and increase by one person to see when the rate goes up. I know some airlines will charge you the higher rate for all four people if you book them as a block; I had thought Southwest didn't do that, but I'm not sure. Of course, the more itineraries you have, the longer it takes to checkin, unless you also do EBCI. Another thing I hadn't thought of is I wonder if its harder to rebook after a price drop if you have a larger group in the same confirmation number? Again, it goes to the number of seats available at the price drop.

One other comment: I suspect that "free" PreChecks happen more often with a round trip itinerary, as opposed to a one way. Of course, free TSA PreChecks are supposedly getting greatly reduced anyway...

I am waiting for March 16 when October flights will be released. This will be my first time booking a SW flight for 4 people, usually just me and my mom. Is it better to just book the full trip for all 4 tickets in one transaction or would it be better to do in two separate transactions - book the flight to MCO and pay for it, then book the return flight and pay for it? I think I've read on this thread it is easier to book this way in case you need to change flights? Also, I think I've read that you can find cheaper rates when searching for 2 tickets instead of 4. Is this correct? If so, it might be better to book 2 flights, then the other 2 flights. Do you think tickets will be cheaper on March 16 or should I wait? I'm a little concerned that there are only 2 morning direct flights to MCO and I want to try to get one of those direct flights, so if I wait for better rates, those flights may get filled. Thanks for your advice and comments.

If you book when flights open first thing in the morning, then it will be the same fare for 2 or 4 people.

The difference comes when there are only x number of cheap seats left, and you want more than x. Then you get charged the higher fare for all. But, if you are booking first thing in the morning on the first day, there will be 4 of the cheapest fares available for you.

I would also do the round trip. It used to be the case that if you wanted to change one leg of a round trip (including if there is a price drop), it was difficult. However, that is no longer the case; changing just one leg for a round trip is just as easy as if it were a one way.

By making multiple booking, you are increasing the possibility that someone could jump in there and get the cheapest bookings before you make your final booking. Unlikely, but technically possible.

Just do it all at once. It's easier and won't cost a penny more.

So how do people get SW codes???? I would love one but I don't know how people get them. Please advise. :) Thanks!!!

I booked tickets last month and checked today to see departure flight price went down. I tried changing flights to pick same flight to get credit for price difference but it won't let me, it says unable to price flight selected and please select different flight or call them. I read it on here you could do this to get price difference adjustment. Could anyone help or should I keep waiting in hold with Southwest Airlines phone call?

I booked tickets last month and checked today to see departure flight price went down. I tried changing flights to pick same flight to get credit for price difference but it won't let me, it says unable to price flight selected and please select different flight or call them. I read it on here you could do this to get price difference adjustment. Could anyone help or should I keep waiting in hold with Southwest Airlines phone call?

Are there enough seats available at the lower price?

So how do people get SW codes???? I would love one but I don't know how people get them. Please advise. :) Thanks!!!

Southwest very, very rarely has public codes. There was one a few years ago, I think during a quiet period but I haven't seen one since.

What you do see mentioned are codes for:
Travel funds: These are generally credits if someone cancels a trip or rebooks at a lower rate. This is one of the big plusses of Southwest...most airlines severely penalize you for doing this. The travel funds are good for flight for one year from the original booking date. They are not transferable.
LUV vouchers: My experience is these are sometimes given if your flight is delayed due to Southwest's fault (most likely due to mechanical issues, crew issues, etc.). For example, we were given $200 LUV Vouchers last year because our flight was delayed about 3.5 hours due to a mechanical issue.

If you book when flights open first thing in the morning, then it will be the same fare for 2 or 4 people.

The difference comes when there are only x number of cheap seats left, and you want more than x. Then you get charged the higher fare for all. But, if you are booking first thing in the morning on the first day, there will be 4 of the cheapest fares available for you.

I would also do the round trip. It used to be the case that if you wanted to change one leg of a round trip (including if there is a price drop), it was difficult. However, that is no longer the case; changing just one leg for a round trip is just as easy as if it were a one way.

By making multiple booking, you are increasing the possibility that someone could jump in there and get the cheapest bookings before you make your final booking. Unlikely, but technically possible.

Just do it all at once. It's easier and won't cost a penny more.

Thanks for your advice, and also to richmo. Another question. I'm taking my cousin and her sons for their first Disney trip in October. We have been waiting on their school system to release dates for their fall break. We "think" it will be the second week of October, or Columbus Day week, but it could very well be the first week in October. We will be flying from Nashville, and as of now, there are only 2 direct morning flights to MCO, and only 1 late afternoon flight on SW. No other airlines offer direct flights to MCO, and I want to avoid changing planes in Atlanta or Charlotte. SW will release the fall flights next week on March 16. My cousin told me last night her school system may not release next year's calendar until April. I really would like to go ahead and get our flights on March 16 so we can have a direct morning flight. MCO is a popular destination, this week will be fall breaks for most of Tennessee, so it may sell out if I wait until April to get the flights. So would you take a chance and get tickets on March 16, knowing you might have to change dates if the fall break dates are not what we believe they will be, or would you wait and possibly have to take a flight that is connecting and will take longer travel time? I've never had to change a flight, so don't know how difficult it is to do. If it was any airline other than SW, I wouldn't even consider purchasing flights until our dates were set in stone, but I'm leaning toward just doing it to get those morning direct flights. What would you do?

T
Southwest very, very rarely has public codes. There was one a few years ago, I think during a quiet period but I haven't seen one since.

What you do see mentioned are codes for:
Travel funds: These are generally credits if someone cancels a trip or rebooks at a lower rate. This is one of the big plusses of Southwest...most airlines severely penalize you for doing this. The travel funds are good for flight for one year from the original booking date. They are not transferable.
LUV vouchers: My experience is these are sometimes given if your flight is delayed due to Southwest's fault (most likely due to mechanical issues, crew issues, etc.). For example, we were given $200 LUV Vouchers last year because our flight was delayed about 3.5 hours due to a mechanical issue.

A flight I've booked for the summer went down ($62), and I changed the flight. Now I'm curious how to use the credit when it comes time. It will come in handy as it expires January 6th, and that's when we're going to leave for Disney. I booked 5 flights to Denver, none of us have rapid rewards. When we go to Disney only 3 will go. Do I just input the confirmation number when I book for the 3 of us and it'll take off ($186), am I going to have to book all 3 separate, or will there be issues since 3 will be flying not 5? I know it's still a few months away before I book, but I'm curious.

Are there enough seats available at the lower price?
Yes there was. I ended up having to call the, something ago reservations after may 28 is in new system but I got it credited. They also added infant son to both reservations but now I can't change the other one in case price goes down so I have to call again. Also the credit has to be used up within year of when I booked it, not within the actual date of ticket like I thought

They did the same from Islip to MCO. We've always taken the latest nonstop flight home. It was always full. The only nonstops home now are 9am or 12pm. The flights on the down are just as crappy. I'm thinking of flying down a night early and staying near the airport.

I've been debating which flight to book when the October dates are released tomorrow. I will be flying Nashville to MCO on a Saturday morning, and as of now, they offer only 2 direct morning flights, one at 6:35, arriving at 9:25, and the other at 9:20, arriving at 12:10. We will be staying at an airport hotel the night before with shuttle service to the airport. I just looked on the SW site and it is recommended in Nashville that you arrive 120 minutes prior to your flight. I haven't flown out of Nashville in years, so my question is what is your experience with Nashville (or any other airport) when leaving on an early morning flight, do you really need to get to the airport 2 hours early? If we take the 6:35 flight, we would need to BE at the airport by 4:30, which would require us leaving the hotel on the shuttle by 4:15 or possibly even 4:00, depending on when the shuttle runs. I really wanted to get to MCO early so we would be able to get to our resort before noon. If we take the 9:20 flight, we probably won't be at our resort until 2:30. But I'm not sure we can get to the airport by 4:30 a.m.! And anyone who has flown this early, did you find you were just worn out all day? I've got to make a decision before tomorrow when the October flights are released!

While I've never flown out of Nashville, I always do super early flights. I find the trip excitement is enough to get me and my kids through most of the day. I don't plan for late nights on travel day and we play it by ear. Sometimes it's park immediately and sometimes it's resort lunch, swim and nap then head to the park for the evening.

I flew out of Nashville once last year

For early morning flights it was not crowded at all for me
Had a lot of sit down and wait time for boarding

And also did a later flight out at evening time

Once I got thru security check point, had hours prior to boarding

But you never know when lines will be jammed so check with the airport hours prior to guide you if line tie ups are happening

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter