Possible hobbler- where to post for suggestions?

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
My dh has been battling heel spurs for 3 months- he says it’s 80% better..but he hasn’t walked 5 miles a day like the rest of us...any tips? We travel in 5 weeks- he wants to stay off it- I think he should be upping his walking- but I’ve never had heel spurs?
1. Favorite shoes or inserts?
2. Do anti-inflammatories help or other?
3. What type of mobile devices are available if he can’t walk? Are we limited to motorized scooters?

My dh has been battling heel spurs for 3 months- he says it’s 80% better..but he hasn’t walked 5 miles a day like the rest of us...any tips? We travel in 5 weeks- he wants to stay off it- I think he should be upping his walking- but I’ve never had heel spurs?
3. What type of mobile devices are available if he can’t walk? Are we limited to motorized scooters?

I had heel spurs for about a month and I thought that it was brutal trying to walk around with a cane. I used Aleve, but it just helped while sleeping. Try Gold Mobility for an offsite mobility scooter. They are the best in service and price. They add extras and all of their scooters are changed out every six months.

I’d say he’s right for staying off it, but he also won’t be able to walk 5 miles and stand in lines at Disney, Ray gives sound advice about the scooter rentals. I’d go that way and wouldn’t rent from Disney unless I absolutely had too. The anti inflammatory won’t work if he’s actively walking in the foot. Bone spurs are like hitting the heel of your foot with meat tenderizer every time you step down. Very painful, I run 5 miles every day, I got spurs about 2 years ago, I had surgery to remove them and I still took 6 months to totally heel. I still have numbness in my heel. I wouldn’t rush him and I’d also set up alternatives for him while traveling. If he wanted you could go motorized or a kneel scooter for him at Disney I would seriously think motorized,

Last edited:
I know it’s not pleasant to think about using a scooter but I think it’s better to have it and not need it very much a being stuck. There are only so many scooters at Disney and pushing a wheel Chair isn’t fun. Years ago I rented one for my mom. It was dropped if at our condo and we just left it where we picked it up at the end of our vacation. Very easy. They come apart in 3 pieces to put in car. Putting ice on the heel and arch in the morning and night helps. Voltaren topical anti inflammatory also helps night pain.

I have problem's with my foot, really both feet at times....

I found that anti-inflammatory helps me over a the long term, I use a one prescribe by my doctor daily, as well as stretching the foot, and leg exercise's.... several times a day...

As well some type of ibuprofen & Tylenol, and alternate between them, so that you don't get any break through pain...

When we travel, I bring along those medical ice packs, you know the ones you sorta break and shake and it get's cold, I took them to Paris with us, and they were a blessing at the end of a very long days I took 8 with us, we both used them... you can use a over sized ziploc to put ice in and prop his foot on it at night... I suggest you double the bags if you are going to go this route, you don't want the bag opening or ripping and then the bed is soaked... I also bring therma-care wraps with us....

Find him a good pair of shoes to wear light weight, the kind with the built in gel cushions or memory foam... and there are these shoe inserts, that when you walk the you can fell the gel moving around under your foot, its kinda strange feeling, but really helps... I can't think of the name of them... I have a pair and they are completely worn out... If I can find the name of them, I will come back and add it here...

Getting in the pool will help, the weightlessness helped me when I was going through therapy...

I would plan a different plan of attack for your trip.... more breaks, pool time and such to give his foot a break as much as possible

yes get the scooter. He might not want it but after his first day walking without it he will be sorry he didn't. Better to have a scooter and enjoying himself than to hobble and not be able to get to see/do the things he wants. Plus if he is walking 5 plus miles a day the pain will most likely keep him a wake at night and make him more tired in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter