Positive thoughts and Prayers for the 4 year old who almost drowned

OMG!! New videos on FB of Chase's progress. I'm amazed. It literally brought tears to my eyes.:goodvibes

Continued prayers for Chaser! :thumbsup2

I'm not familiar with traumatic brain injury, but is Chase having to start learning things all over, from an infantile stage? Looks like he's making great progress.

Chase actually suffered a non-traumatic brain injury (anoxia) and is in a "minimally conscious state." His therapists are working on improving the areas of his brain that are still intact and functioning. He appears to have age-appropriate comprehension of the commands that are being given to him.

Continued prayers are still being sent his way and to his parents as they transition to this new normal life.

I don't know if anyone knows Chase's family, but I just wanted to say that I have a sneaky suspicion that his near-drowning had a lot to do with the fact that there are now actual LIFEGUARDS at the ship pools. If anything good had to come from an incident like this, that's it.

I hope that parents continue to stay vigilant and not to rely on lifeguards to watch their children.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I don't know if anyone knows Chase's family, but I just wanted to say that I have a sneaky suspicion that his near-drowning had a lot to do with the fact that there are now actual LIFEGUARDS at the ship pools. If anything good had to come from an incident like this, that's it.

I hope that parents continue to stay vigilant and not to rely on lifeguards to watch their children.

I think so too Emily! :thumbsup2. I had mentioned this to Scott on Twitter when he posted the DCL job postings a few weeks ago and I saw actual lifeguards referenced. I think it's a positive move but also agree with you sentiments!

Heather

I don't know if anyone knows Chase's family, but I just wanted to say that I have a sneaky suspicion that his near-drowning had a lot to do with the fact that there are now actual LIFEGUARDS at the ship pools. If anything good had to come from an incident like this, that's it. I hope that parents continue to stay vigilant and not to rely on lifeguards to watch their children. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm glad they've finally done this.
I hope Chase continues to improve.

I'm sorry to drag this up again but I still think there are many things to learn from this so very sad event. The family has posted a more detailed timeline with details.

https://www.facebook.com/ChaseLykken/posts/546294752129534:0

It is very detailed, and complete raw emotion from her side....................

"As clear as the blue sky above, I remember the thoughts going through my head as I walked towards the edge of the pool. (I remember praying that someone else would get there before me.) I have been a nurse for nearly 20 years, (ER, OR, Medical transports) I have intentionally, never focused on pediatric care, as I just can't wrap my head around pain and suffering in a small child and the emotional toll on the family.

Once I reached Chase, I identified myself to the others around him, as a nurse and went into "Clinical Mode" (it's a term my Sister uses when she has seen me either speak of medical conditions or in action) I remember checking for a pulse; first on the wrist, then the neck. I announced that I was going to initiate CPR, called for an AED, and just proceeded as I had practiced and trained, so many times before. After the first round of chest compressions, Chase vomited (just like the pediatric advanced life support books taught me) I turned him on his side and did a mouth sweep. (hotdogs) I then checked a pulse again, still none. I did another round of chest compressions and again called for an AED and an airway. A gentleman came to Chase's head and attempted to place an airway, unsuccessfully. After the second round of chest compressions, he once again, vomited, still no pulse. (This was no longer like all the many training courses I took. I felt a sense of self doubt and knew Chase needed more than I alone could provide) I began crying and swore at this little lifeless boy. I told him that he was not going to F-ing die. I begged him to come back!! I promised him, I was not going to stop until he got his "crap together" and made his heart beat again. I told him, "I am on vacation and you are not going to f'ing die. I told him that he could NOT do this to his parent! (There were a few other choice words I whispered to him, but I am sure you get the point.) I begged and pleaded, prayed and just did what I do. Tears started streamed down my face and a gentleman asked me if I was OK. I asked this man to do a round of chest compressions, while I gathered myself. I returned to Chases side, and told him, we are going through this together. I was not leaving his side until he returned to his little body. GAME ON! Once again, I continued the chest compressions and the CPR sequence; even attempted to give him a mouth to mouth breath, but he had too much food debris to get any air to his lungs. I told myself to focus on compressions. They are the most important, as it provides perfusion. I experienced such an incredible sense of relief once the gurney arrived and we were able to transfer him. At the very moment he hit the gurney, Dr. Brian appeared at his head. He asked for a specific airway, I grabbed it from the bag at the side of the pool. He placed it with ease, and the entire way down to the clinic, he and I were able to maintain the airway, while the medical staff continued compressions. Once we were in the clinic, medications and shocks were delivered at unprecedented intervals. No One in that room was going to give up. I remember looking down at the wrist band and reading, Chase, 4y/o.

As the efforts continued and the room was a buzz, I kept saying, "Chase, come back," in my previously described vernacular. It was not until the paramedics arrived that we actually got a pulse back. I tell you, once his little heart started going again, he was back! At that time, his rate was strong and almost in the same instant, "regular" for all that his body had been through up to that moment.

I believe that Chase had a conversation with God. Together, they watched the resuscitation efforts, they saw you and Lisa. Then, I think, God told Chase, he must return. He sent him back with a message, and the strength to deliver it. It was not his time to be with God in Heaven. A pack was made, and at that moment, I knew that it was out of my hands." -G

-Thank you "G" for sharing this, and thank you "G" , "S", "D- and your son", and the rest of you for saving Chases life!

Glad to see this boy is doin great!!! Don't ever give up The Lord has it all in his hands!!!

I appreciate the update. The family is always in my thoughts. I follow them on FB so I see some of the videos they post but I've never seen this post. :lovestruc

I appreciate the update. The family is always in my thoughts. I follow them on FB so I see some of the videos they post but I've never seen this post. :lovestruc

I also follow little Chase, but on CaringBridge. Wouldn't miss a post about his improvements!

For those of us aware of what happened but not *following* it, the above bit confused me. For those like me, I wanted to clarify that it's not the mom speaking (as I thought while reading), but one of the people who was on the scene.

That's the first I read about him having food in his mouth when pulled from the water. Was that discussed before? (again, I'm aware of the basics, but I haven't followed it)

I don't think he had food in his mouth when he was pulled out, from how I read it it sounds like he vomited when CPR was started (which is very common) and that's what contributed to the challenges they had in clearing his airway.

Chase's family have shown incredible courage and strength in the last months and I know that they will face some challenging times this Christmas. Sending prayers their way.

I don't think he had food in his mouth when he was pulled out, from how I read it it sounds like he vomited when CPR was started (which is very common) and that's what contributed to the challenges they had in clearing his airway.

Oh of course. Upon re-reading that's more clear. I think the way I read gets me confused sometimes because I see sort of a block of sentences at a time, and if I'm not careful I can move words up into different sentences. If I'm on the ball it lets me read REALLY fast. If I'm not, I get confused easier.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Wow, I never heard about this and he lives in the same state. I cried when I read what was written about when they pulled him from the pool. So glad he is doing well.

I also follow Chase's progress on facebook and have great admiration for the way his family has handled it. The videos of him are often the highlight of my day. As a parent of 8 and grandparent of 6, watching his family's journey is a reminder to me to count my blessings every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter