• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans French Quarter - any elevators?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
Any buildings at POFQ have elevators? If they don't, and you don't need a handicap room but cannot do stairs, will they certainly grant your request?

POFQ has elevators in all buildings. To my knowledge, resorts with no elevators include: CBR has no elevators, the Alligator Bayou section of POR has no elevators, and some (most?) buildings at OKW have no elevators. All other resorts have elevator access to all buildings.

Regardless, any request is just that - a request and they will try their best to accommodate "medical need" but not guarantee. We have requested 1st floor at CBR and it was granted. But this past fall I read a report of someone at POR Bayou who had an ECV and was still given a 2nd floor room and the resort was unable to change it. If it's an absolute need, I recommend booking appropriate and not relying on a request.

Enjoy your vacation!

POFQ has elevators in all buildings. To my knowledge, resorts with no elevators include: CBR has no elevators, the Alligator Bayou section of POR has no elevators, and some (most?) buildings at OKW have no elevators. All other resorts have elevator access to all buildings.

Regardless, any request is just that - a request and they will try their best to accommodate "medical need" but not guarantee. We have requested 1st floor at CBR and it was granted. But this past fall I read a report of someone at POR Bayou who had an ECV and was still given a 2nd floor room and the resort was unable to change it. If it's an absolute need, I recommend booking appropriate and not relying on a request.

Enjoy your vacation!
I agree.
At the time those resorts were built, elevators were not required.
Even now, they are not required if building are only 2 stories.

CBR has no elevators, Alligator Bayoo has no elevators, but the Magnolia Bend (Mansion) section of POR does have elevators.

Most of OKW buildings are only 2 stories. The 3 buildings that were added on last are the only ones with elevators. They are buildings 62, 63 and 64

I have stayed at OKW 3 times. The first time was on the first floor, but the noisiest corner possible so I didn't sleep a wink. They moved us to building 64 (I think) on day 3, which was perfect.

The second time they tried to put us in a 2nd floor room, and it took nearly 20 minutes back and forth before they found a 1st floor room for us. I have a scooter: where did they think I was going to keep/charge it?!!!

The last time we stayed there (last September), and despite them having telephoned requests and notes made on the booking from 11 months out that we needed to be on the 1st floor or in one of the buildings with a lift (62, 63 or 64), once again on check-in they tried to put us in a 2nd floor room. Another 20 minutes of frustration before they were able to sort that one out - but it was 3 HOURS before we could even get the number of our room so I could tell the scooter hire company where to bring the scooter. In the end, we lost the whole second day of our holiday (as we stayed at Jambo on the 1st night).

This trip (20th February) my daughter and I are doing a 5-night package booking at POR followed by 4 nights on points at GFV (our first time staying at our home resort). Again I made it known at point of booking that I needed either an accessible room or a room on the first floor. They came back and said that they don't have any accessible rooms at POR (!) but that they noted my request and would 'do their best to accommodate me'. Well, the last thing I want is a stand-up row at check-in. I had been wrongly informed that POR had no lifts in the mansion buildings. So ... now I have been promised a 1st floor room, I now find out I could have any room in any of the mansion buildings after all that! I'll speak to them at check-in.

Looking at your signature... POFQ has a completely different vibe from all the other resorts you have stayed at. You should try it! And yes they have elevators :)

In what way? I have visited POR twice and liked it a lot, so much so that I wanted to stay there.

Again I made it known at point of booking that I needed either an accessible room or a room on the first floor. They came back and said that they don't have any accessible rooms at POR (!) but that they noted my request and would 'do their best to accommodate me'.

Accessible rooms are a bookable category at all resorts, and not something the can accommodate as a “request.” I suspect that was the intent of the response you received about no accessible rooms. I recommend that you consider booking an accessible room in the future if that truly helps your needs. Or if you simply need elevator access to your room, booking a resort that has elevators. While they try to meet requests, WDW does not guarantee any requests - their system simply isn’t set up to block specific rooms like that.

You should be ok at POR in the mansion rooms, as those have elevators. But if you booked preferred, those are all Bayou rooms and none of those buildings have elevators.

Enjoy your vacation!

Accessible rooms are a bookable category at all resorts, and not something the can accommodate as a “request.” I suspect that was the intent of the response you received about no accessible rooms. I recommend that you consider booking an accessible room in the future if that truly helps your needs. Or if you simply need elevator access to your room, booking a resort that has elevators. While they try to meet requests, WDW does not guarantee any requests - their system simply isn’t set up to block specific rooms like that.

You should be ok at POR in the mansion rooms, as those have elevators. But if you booked preferred, those are all Bayou rooms and none of those buildings have elevators.

Enjoy your vacation!

I don't really want to book an accessible room - in my mind it's taking it away from someone in a wheelchair, say, who actually needs the roll-in shower etc. I don't need this. But, Disney told me that the only way to guarantee a 1st floor room in a resort without a lift is to book such a room.

No, we aren't in a preferred room. I did try to upgrade to a Royal Room, but they've sold out now. I don't 'feel' the Bayou side, anyway.

We've stayed at OKW the last 3 times, the last two times on cash bookings, but we have also done BLT (which we loved) and Jambo House, both on points, and both with lifts so the problem didn't arise. And of course, GFV has lifts, too, so again the problem won't arise. The first time we stayed on site was CBR in 2014 when it was just my daughter and I, and that was the first year I actually hired a scooter as my arthritis had got to the stage where I wasn't able to manage a full day at a park without sitting a lot of it out. Also, the time of year we used to travel pre-DVC was cold (both and home and in the US) and I was in a lot of pain as a result. Thankfully since I started taking Omega 3 supplements, I only feel real pain when the temperature is sub-zero - not much of a problem in the south of England!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter