• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POR vs POFQ for first time trip

TyRy

Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
Hello everyone,

I know this thread has prpbaly been done to death, but I have just a little different spin (I hope!)

We are taking my parents to DW for what may very well be my dad's one and only trip (hopefully not though!)

We are right now staying at POFQ - which I stayed at before and loved it. As it was we had to talk my dad out of a value resort since he knows he'll never be in the room :)

Our travel agent informed us she could send us to POR with a "preferred view" for just a few $$ less than what we are paying right now. Would anyone move, or should we just stay put?

THANKS

Tracy

I'd stay put. POFQ is smaller, and probably easier for your parents to get around in. Also, views don't matter much at a moderate unless you plan on keeping your drapes open and looking out over the railing. Since there are no balconies, I really don't think the view is important.

Another vote for POFQ it is smaller than some of the other mod resorts. It's our favorite!!!

Have a great time!!!:wave:

Stay put. at POR you'll have to walk a ways to get to your room from the lobby/bus stop. POFQ is so much more compact.

Another vote for staying put at POFQ. My favorite resort is WL, but when I can't get a good room rate there, my next favorite is POFQ. You don't say how old your dad is or if he has any physical limitations. I'm 55 years old and overweight. I've found that I do spend time in my room or at the resort simply because Disney is a lot of walking and my feet need periodic breaks. At POFQ, I enjoy how close everything is to the main building as well as the single bus stop. It has the same wonderful laid back beauty and ambiance of POR, but its much more compact and I think just perfect!

Sondra :earsgirl:

French Quarter is my absolute favorite moderate resort. I've stayed at POR & CBR and did not care for either. Found them both to be WAY too spread out for my taste. I love the fact that the French Quarter is small, so no matter what building you are in, it's a quick walk to everything. Also, there is only one bus stop, rather than multiple one's. I love the quaintness of this resort.

Another POFQ vote here. I've stayed at POR, POFQ, CBR, and WL and POFQ is my favorite (even beating WL). It is a terrific small size and we really like the food court. Yummy beignets (okay, someone help with the spelling!).

Another vote for POFQ!!! Our absolute favorite resort!! We have stayed at POFQ, POR, POLY, and BC. We love it because of the size and the convenience of the food court.

Add me to the POFQ list! We just came back from 5 wonderful days (even staying one full day in our room during Hurricane Jeanne) at POFQ and absolutely loved it! I loved everything about the resort; it's just beautiful. I loved the short walks to the pool and/or central building; I loved the one bus stop; I loved that the buses stopped at POFQ before POR.... The rooms are really nice and the CM's were wonderful (for the most part). We stayed at POR our first night due to some reservations mixup and hurricane issues, and the next morning I asked to be moved to POFQ. They gave us a really pretty room at the Mansions, really close to the main buidling, but I just didn't like it as much as POFQ. Don't get me worng, I think POR is beautiful, but POFQ stole my heart.

Okay, I'll be the one that says the opposite. :rolleyes:

We LOVE POR! True, we've never stayed at FQ, but we've walked through it and it just doesn't have the charm that POR has!

I love the weeping willows and the bridges accross the water. The walk to and from our room is one of the things we LIKE about the resort!

PortOrleansRS.jpg

I love how the river is used as part of the decor, and not just "there".

PortOrleans.jpg

I also love the sprawling lawns there seem to be more of at POR.

47b4ce20b3127cceb7f980fb39fa0000001510

Oh, did I mention the weeping wollow trees? ;)

--Cassi :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I feel that the size of the resort just adds to the feeling that you are worlds apart from anywhere that isn't that relaxed and tranquil!
:D

While I love POR, I would say you should stay with POFQ. Views really don't matter at the mods. We've had a waterview several times now and it just wasn't worth the extra $10 or so. If you are in your room, most likely the drapes are closed, so the view doesn't matter. FQ is much smaller and a lot easier to get around. I'm sure your parents will thank-you for that!!!

cassi06403 -- that weeping willow photo is Gorgeous! What part of POR is that? Or are there similar "views" everywhere? If I can't get an AP rate at WL then POR is where we'll be going! :D

Transportation is the biggest issue. POFQ typically has the first bus stop. If your driving, then it's not an issue. I stayed at POR and had a bus drive past me once, because it was full.

I agree with preferred view not being that spetacular at POR.

Don't ask why, but when I went with my in-laws, they preferred "sit down" restaurants over the food court. I believe POFQ only has a food court where POR has Boatwrights and a food court. Tough choice, each one has their pros and cons.

Originally posted by jcemom
cassi06403 -- that weeping willow photo is Gorgeous! What part of POR is that? Or are there similar "views" everywhere? If I can't get an AP rate at WL then POR is where we'll be going! :D

That picture I actually took myself. If you walk straight through the lobby and then out the back doors, go right and walk along the path (as if you were heading over towards Panterre Place) you pass those benches before you reach the bridge to cross the river.

We just returned from our HM and stayed at POR in Panterre Place. The views are amazing! It's not that you'd really be looking at them from your room, but everytime you leave your room everywhere you look is beautiful. In Panterre Place you just have a short walk across the bridge to the main building and restaurant and food court. We walked around FQ, but the Mansions at POR were so beautiful we agreed that we would stay there on our next vacation.

LilPritch - I'm so glad you had such a great time!

We're leaving on Friday! :bounce:

Thank you Cassi! Since we're going in the Springtime I'll bet we would absolutely love it at POR! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter