Pop Century with free dining or Caribbean Beach / Coronado Springs with no dining plan?

Ormond gigli

Earning My Ears
Moderate resort without free dining would be about $300 more than pop with free dining.

I've factored in cost of food for moderate stay.

I've never stayed on property so all resorts are new to me. It will be just me and my girlfriend going.

We'll be spending 2 non park days enjoying whichever property we stay at.

Ease to get to all parks, food, pool,room and "lack of noise" in the room" are all things I'm factoring into the decision.

Opinions?

I’m confused how CBR without free dining is only $300 more with food costs included?

I'd personally probably pick POP with the free dining plan. The rooms were just remodeled, we liked them. Stayed there in March - we never had a noise issue. The pool at CBR is probably nicer, but full disclosure we didn't really go the pool at POP - so I can't confirm this. The rooms at CBR are going to be a little bigger, but with only 2 people that wouldn't sway my decision. I've stayed at both POP and CBR - IMO the rooms aren't that much nicer at CBR, nor are the amenities. (We don't spend much time at the hotel) We're headed back next month, and chose POP again!

I’m confused how CBR without free dining is only $300 more with food costs included?

I'm basing it on an estimate of what I'd spend on food as well as using a room only discount that has been available during the same period as free dining. Basically choosing between 30% off room only or free dining.
I'd also be able to purchase cheaper base tickets from a third party instead of hopper through the free dining promotion or take advantage of discounted Canadian tickets.
This is all assuming / hoping that the same type of offers are available next year that were available the last few years.

I'm basing it on an estimate of what I'd spend on food as well as using a room only discount that has been available during the same period as free dining. Basically choosing between 30% off room only or free dining.
I'd also be able to purchase cheaper base tickets from a third party instead of hopper through the free dining promotion or take advantage of discounted Canadian tickets.
This is all assuming / hoping that the same type of offers are available next year that were available the last few years.

That makes sense. Thanks!

I have never stayed at CBR, but we enjoyed Pop very much. I’m sure others with more experience will have some great advice!

You’ll get pool slide and hot tubs at moderates and additional pools that may be quieter then Pop pools. If that’s really important you might want to try a moderate.

We’ve always had quiet stays at moderates, but equally quiet stays at Pop. I prefer the one bus stop at Pop over the multiple bus stops at CBR and CSR. Overall I find CBR and CSR too big. I don’t enjoy walking around there. Some people really enjoy the Caribbean or Mexican theming of those two resorts over the fun, energetic vibe of Pop though.

We prefer the foodcourts at POP and AofA. Some people prefer table service restaurants. That may sway you to book CSR or CBR.

I’m kind of rambling here. Lol.
But I’d choose Pop over those two resorts.

Tough call...is the QS free dining what you'd be getting and, if so, is that enough for you or would you pay to upgrade it? If you'd want to upgrade, is that cost added in for the comparison?
I've only stayed at POP, so far, so I can't compare resorts first hand. I will say that I absolutely LOVED the DDP which we used on our last trip, for the first time. I love POP...our location was never loud (wasn't facing the pool, which I think is key).

Sounds like you’ve really done your homework!!! We stayed at pop last year and are trying CSR this year. Tho we really enjoyed pop, we wanted to stay somewhere that had a gym so we’re trying CSR this time in the new Tower building. The fitness area, the better pool and the dining options are going to be the biggest differences on the pro side of staying at CSR. Can’t speak to the bus situation since this will be our first time there in July. Personally I would go with a mod over a value if I could.

Tough call...is the QS free dining what you'd be getting and, if so, is that enough for you or would you pay to upgrade it? If you'd want to upgrade, is that cost added in for the comparison?
I've only stayed at POP, so far, so I can't compare resorts first hand. I will say that I absolutely LOVED the DDP which we used on our last trip, for the first time. I love POP...our location was never loud (wasn't facing the pool, which I think is key).

Actually, yes! We would be upgrading to the the regular dining plan and the cost is already included.

I don't think the DDP will be necessary, but I sorta think it'll be neat and fun not thinking about what food costs and probably change up where we'd be eating.

I'd love to do a moderate and get the DDP, but it just doesn't make sense cost wise with only 2 people.

You’ll get pool slide and hot tubs at moderates and additional pools that may be quieter then Pop pools. If that’s really important you might want to try a moderate.

We’ve always had quiet stays at moderates, but equally quiet stays at Pop. I prefer the one bus stop at Pop over the multiple bus stops at CBR and CSR. Overall I find CBR and CSR too big. I don’t enjoy walking around there. Some people really enjoy the Caribbean or Mexican theming of those two resorts over the fun, energetic vibe of Pop though.

We prefer the foodcourts at POP and AofA. Some people prefer table service restaurants. That may sway you to book CSR or CBR.

I’m kind of rambling here. Lol.
But I’d choose Pop over those two resorts.

Yeah, the idea that a moderate will most likely be a little quieter and slower during the days we'd be staying away from the parks appeals to me. However, the sprawling nature of the moderates and multiple bus stops isn't ideal during park days.

I'm thinking the new gondola system would be pretty useful and if it ends up saving alot of time to Epcot and HS that would probably cross off Coronado Springs...

Sounds like you’ve really done your homework!!! We stayed at pop last year and are trying CSR this year. Tho we really enjoyed pop, we wanted to stay somewhere that had a gym so we’re trying CSR this time in the new Tower building. The fitness area, the better pool and the dining options are going to be the biggest differences on the pro side of staying at CSR. Can’t speak to the bus situation since this will be our first time there in July. Personally I would go with a mod over a value if I could.

Yeah, I'm thinking just go with Caribbean Beach, but the idea of the DDP seems really fun to me.

Pop is my least WDW resort so far and CSR my favourite with POFQ. Also, I would prefer pay OOP vs QSDP so I could have more freedom on where to eat and not be restricted to QS restaurants. So for me, it would be 100% CSR.

Pop is my least WDW resort so far and CSR my favourite with POFQ. Also, I would prefer pay OOP vs QSDP so I could have more freedom on where to eat and not be restricted to QS restaurants. So for me, it would be 100% CSR.
If I went with the dining plan I'd be upgrading to the regular one to get TS meals.

What do you not like about pop century and like at CSR POFQ?

Actually, yes! We would be upgrading to the the regular dining plan and the cost is already included.

I don't think the DDP will be necessary, but I sorta think it'll be neat and fun not thinking about what food costs and probably change up where we'd be eating.

I'd love to do a moderate and get the DDP, but it just doesn't make sense cost wise with only 2 people.
If you’ve already factored in the cost of upgrading to table service, then pick Pop. Totally worth it. :)

Looks like you’ve done some serious Disney math!! That’s what it takes to really know how to compare and you’ve done a great job! We’ve stayed at POP and CBR, with and without free dining so I can relate. We love both, so it’s mainly what’s most important to you. POP has a more exciting, fun vibe while CBR is more of a relaxing vibe. If you’re used to pinching pennies when eating out like we are, then it’s great fun to look at a menu and feel good about ordering the expensive steak over something cheaper. We’ve experienced lots of restaurants with free dining that we don’t go to otherwise. You can’t go wrong either way but I think I would opt for POP with free dining.

Looks like you’ve done some serious Disney math!! That’s what it takes to really know how to compare and you’ve done a great job! We’ve stayed at POP and CBR, with and without free dining so I can relate. We love both, so it’s mainly what’s most important to you. POP has a more exciting, fun vibe while CBR is more of a relaxing vibe. If you’re used to pinching pennies when eating out like we are, then it’s great fun to look at a menu and feel good about ordering the expensive steak over something cheaper. We’ve experienced lots of restaurants with free dining that we don’t go to otherwise. You can’t go wrong either way but I think I would opt for POP with free dining.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

It's really just the day and a half or so that we'll be hanging back at the resort where I'd prefer the moderate. I've also heard stories that the rooms at pop aren't as noise proof as other resorts and the pool areas don't seem as relaxing.

The updated pop rooms do seem nice enough and we could always go to a different resort for dinner. Too bad Disney frowns upon resort pool hopping.

And thanks! I really enjoy the planning of a trip like this. Went to DW for 2 days during a trip to universal in 2017 and want to do the full Disney thing this time.

Pop was noisy, dark room (before renovations), food court was meh (we often went to AoA instead, didn’t like bus stop layout and the pools are very underwhelming and the decor is boring imo. Long lines for the bus to go back so we chose to take the AoA bus instead a few times and walked to our room at POP.

I loved the pool and my kids loved the waterslide and playground at CSR. The food at the Cantina (pool bar) was really convenient and tasty for breakfast and lunch. We stayed in the Rancho section so very close to the main pool. Like better the bus stops at moderates that have benches. Never waited long for a bus and always had a seat. Finally, we liked the TS Maya Grill and to walk around the resort at night. Peaceful and beautiful.

It sounds like this is for next year, is that correct? Personally, for an adults-only trip, with planned resort days, I would book a moderate. Pop, IMHO, is not going to be quiet or relaxing no matter how you slice it. CBR will have the gondola, which is appealing, however, I would personally go with CSR. I think the addition of the two new restaurants and the lovely pool at the resort would make this an ideal adults-only stay. When the time comes, you may also want to price out POR and POFQ as the boat to DS is really nice!

if this is for next year, also keep in mind that there is no guarantee that these discounts will happen. I always budget at full price just to be safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter