Pooh Hopping!

Pooh2751

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! Honestly I think that this whole pool hopping thing is rediculous! Not for nothing but, I know that if I spent $5000 on a Disney trip just to stay at BWV, and people from OKW or any other resort came over and used the pool I would be quite angry - ESPECIALLY if it was crowded and I couldn't get 2 chairs because a family of six (from another resort) raided the pool! Wouldn't you be mad if the role was reversed?

Not everyone is as fortunate as us to have ownership in DVC. If people are dissapointed because they couldn't get a stay at BWV with their points - OH WELL that's really too bad! Sorry to hear that but if it is your home resort you should know to book way in advance on that 11 month mark!

I'm paying good $$ to be a DVC member and when I go down to WDW in October I will be extremely MAD if people from other resorts start showing up!
By all means the WDW staff should not be mean in anyway about it but checking ID's sounds like a fair plan!

Anna

ASM '96
CBR '97
DCS '98
DDL & DYC 10/99
POLY 12/99
CBR 2/01
BWV 10/01
WLV 5/02 :D

Amen!

Disneydiane
mickey36.gif
keywest.gif

It does seem fair that guests staying at the resort get first use of facilities, however the way the pool hopping has been handled seems all wrong to me. If they want to bar hopping when a resort is at 80% or better occupancy (or whatever figure is deemed approriate), then that is fine and understandable. However it does seem wrong to ask people to leave once they are there. The checking should be done before hoppers are settled in. Everyone approaching the pool could be asked for ID and efforts should be made to let others know the pool is open to resort guests only via calls to the other DVC properties and a sign at the facility barring the hopping

To me the solution is simple - suspend pool hopping for ALL resorts during high traffic weeks such as Easter and Christmas. They do it for Stormalong bay, why not all of them??

I also thing Disney should be hung up and dried over the way they handled this matter last week at the BW!!

-Craig
Thumbnail

Next trip: 9/01 at VWL!!

someone who will stand up and say it like it is! Way to go Pooh!!
I wanted to say those things, but I was a bit frightened that Pete might be mad at me :)
Seriously, DVC members should know better. The 11 month mark needs to be used whenever possible. DH and I are masters at last minute vacations. But, we know that there is a chance we will have to give up staying at our first, and sometimes second, choice. :)
Great post Pooh!

Off site '94
AllStar-Movies '99
DxL '00 Honeymoon
DVC Member 4/00
BWV 9/00
VB 9/00
DCL-Wonder 1/01
OKW 1/01
Upcoming:
VB 5/01
VWL 12/01
BWV 12/01
DCL-Magic 12/29/01

My new Disney website!
http://gennaroworld.topcities.com

Pool hopping was prominently used as one of the selling point of DVC when we bought in '95. From my readings here it is still used in the presentations. Taking it away would be in my opinion a bait and switch tactic that is unacceptable. The pools, like eveything else should be first come first served.P

I agree that the current Pool Hopping Bruhaha is overblown. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Pool hopping is part of the program, alot of people enjoy it. I don't see why anyone should be upset about people from other resorts using the pool if capacity isn't a problem. Normally, how would you even know?

It seems simple enough- if things aren't too busy, allow it. If they are too busy, don't. Nobody gets hurt.

Tom

I believe the root cause of the problem at the BW pool and SAB is that there are too many people trying to use the facilities at the same time during that specific Spring Break time period.

There are many other examples of over-capacity situations at WDW (resort parking, bus availability, attraction queues, restaurants, etc.)

I expect the managers and CM's at WDW to do their best to manage any given situation at that time to reach a fair, safe, and best solution for all parties involved. It is doubtful that they will be able to find a solution that will please everyone when there is an over-capacity situation.

The challenge for the WDW managers and CMs is how they communicate these decisions, how they properly set our expectations and how we feel about those decisions.

I view the SAB announcement in the Vacation Magic as one those attempts to modify our expectations of what to expect during April. No, the blurb did not state that the BW pool would have similar restrictions, etc.

But, a little common sense seems in order. If every guest at a resort shows up at 2:00 pm to use the pool, then some of those folks are going to be disappointed. The WDW management is going to have to make a decision at 2:00 pm to deal with the situation. Every guest is entitled to swim in the pool but due to the circumstances, not everyone is going to get to swim.

We can all talk about how we have the "right" to swim in the pool at 2:00 pm, but I expect the WDW managers to make a decision at that point which will ensure the safety and fair treatment for everyone.

Once again, the challenge is for the managers to try and find the best solution that maximizes the positives and fairness for everyone involved and then communicate the decision in a positive fashion. This may mean that some folks are going to feel left out.

I'm not stating that publicly asking a guest to leave the pool is the best way to handle this situation.

I wouldn't like being asked to leave the pool either, but on reflection I would hope that I could understand why they may have asked me to do so. (I think it is very understandable for the two parties who were asked to leave to be unhappy about what happened.)

I would be more inclined to give people a positive reason to leave without being so obvious about kicking them out. The next 10 families to leave the pool will get free ice cream passes. (This offer would need to be dressed up a little better, but you get the idea.)

In general, it sounds like WDW & DVC deliver on their stated pool hopping policy. I believe the root cause of the problem is the over-capacity issue, which appears to only happen a few number of days each year. Why stop the program when it works fine the vast majority of the time?

Better communication up front would have properly set people's expectations. I have read many good suggestions by folks on how to better manage this situation in the future. Maybe we could summarize the best ideas into a document and deliver it to DVC management for their review.

Cheers.

Troy

I would like to think that DVC members are slightly more ahead of the game than the once every 10 years WDW vacationer. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that DVCers should be a CMs dream to work/deal with, not a nightmare.
We know the ropes and mostly likely, come more often than most so missing or moving one event shouldn't be a huge deal, since we will be back next year, or next month to do it all again.

I know every situation is different and I can see that feelings were hurt in some of these recent posts. Please keep in mind if you are asked to leave a pool, it is not that you have done anything wrong. I am sorry if you felt that way.

Another thing to consider is that we (DVC mbrs) can swim almost anywhere on property (if I am understanding the rules right, and assuming that the pool is open for hopping ;)) Where as the non-members are restricted to only that pool.
I would say pick-up your towel and head over to another resort pool. I would also suggest calling first. Heck even ask the CM who asked you to leave to pool area to help you with the call.

Danica
T.T.F.N.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to see that there are people out there who agree with me!

Anna :-)

"I would say pick-up your towel and head over to another resort pool. I would also suggest calling first. Heck even ask the CM who asked you to leave to pool area to help you with the call."

Heheheh, I like the way you think Danica!!!

-Craig
Thumbnail

Next trip: 9/01 at VWL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter