Polynesian Cultural Center

Captain Canada

Earning My Ears
i would love some more information about the Polynesian Cultural Center. I’ve purchased the O’ahu Go Card from Costco and I’m planning on attending the luau. It would be myself, DH and DS age 7. I’m wondering if I should upgrade to the Ambassador package, mostly because I would prefer the better dining time. I’m also wondering what time we should get there, I definitely want to see the show at the end of the night. I’m also wondering is it mostly outside, the size of the place, I’m having a hard time understanding what it’s all about. The reviews of the food aren’t great but is it bad or just typical buffet? Any past experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Polynesian Cultural Center can be thought of as a museum with a large campus and many outdoor exhibits. It occupies several acres. There are daily skits and shows and demonstrations depicting Polynesian history and customs. There are distinct sections for major segments of the Polynesian populatiion e.g. Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, and of course Hawaii.

The activities can be compared to Epcot World Showcase although there are no rides.

Think of PCC as a full afternoon experience (it opens at noon). Some children may find a long visit to be sensory overload and some families spend two shorter days there instead of all afternoon on one day

Last edited:
It is someplace I had wanted to go since I was a kid, so we did it even though I heard it was "cheesy". To our surprise, we absolutely loved it. We did the Dole Planation, a quick stop at the North Shore, and then PCC, and if I had it to do over again, I would have cut Dole out and been at PCC at noon when they opened because we did not get to see everything we wanted to see. I think we got there around 1:30. We could have used that other hour and a half.

I would upgrade to the Ambassador package. We did it just to get the better seats at the evening show, and I figured we would probably ditch the tour guide and explore on our own. We wound up loving being with the guide. He took us to the best shows since we would not have time to see all of them, and there are some games and activities that you do as a group with the guide, that you would not really be able to do on your own. They also lead you up to good seats for everything. DD loved playing the games with the group and trying to make fire from sticks etc. Each "village" has a different show and different exhibits or activities. There is shopping. There is a daily water pageant that is a can't miss (I think it is at 2:30 or 3:00). DD, being a theatre kid, also really enjoyed the backstage tour of the show that came with the Ambassador package-- we got to watch the cast warming up and look at the costume room etc. (there was another option if you did not want to do that- boat ride I think). Most everything is outside-- there are some indoor shops and exhibits.

We thought the luau food was fine. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad either. We had a good time.

They have a website you can get on and nose around and it will give you an idea of the different things they offer. I'm sure there are a ton of videos of the place on you tube as well- if you don't mind "spoilers".

DD was 10 when we went and it is definitely on her list for places she would like to go again.

The PCC website offers a package tour consisting of an Island Circle tour in the morning and then arriving at PCC at 12:30. The return to Waikiki is at 6:30 or 9:30PM. It include Ambassador Luau seating for $219.95. Has anyone done that?

I probably won't get a car on Oahu, since it is too expensive to park. It seems like a good way to see the island and Dole Plantation.

-Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter