Poly vs CR ?? HELP!!!

Honeystar120608

Mom, Photographer, Disney Lover, 100% Cannuck
HELP!!!!!!!! Im sure this has been asked before....

We are about to book our Dec trip (next week) and I have been all for CR since our last Dec trip. BUT now Im looking at Poly pictures and Im wondering if that would be a better choice?

Problem I see with Poly, I dont see where it screams dlx like CR does. We would be getting the cheapest of rooms no matter where we are. So even at CR we will be a little ways away...not in the tower rooms.

I love the Hawaiin theme... and I just know none of the pics I have seen do it justice. Can anybody help me with pros and cons...haven't been to either so I need some experienced advice!!!

(Oh #1 reason we want dlx is the monorail and to have that pampered feeling that we are so not used to ;) lol )

I would keep your decision to stay at the Contemporary. No matter if you were to stay in a Garden Wing or Tower room their rooms are less expensive then the Polynesian. Besides that it's great sitting on the 4th floor watching the Monorail go by and it's something you can't see anywhere else.

We've stayed at both and much prefer the Poly for the grounds, the rooms, the pool, etc.

Poly hands down. Feels more like a vacation to me. CR is cold and business like. No doubt, the pics of the rooms are nice, but they look absolutely no different than a fancy Westin or Hilton.

I'd pick Poly because there are gorgeous garden views from there (check out the Poly thread for some of the views), some are water views and some are lush garden views (all GV category).

Since you wont be in the tower at the CR, you'll have the walk to the monorail either way.

Also, your kids can play on the beach there, and I think the theming is fun.

Just to put it out there...I'm biased because we've only stayed at the Poly and have never stayed at the CR. We love the poly and the whole atmosphere. We stayed in Rapa Nui garden view on the third floor. Our balcony looked out over palm trees and flowers toward another longhouse and I thought the view was beautiful. We are big pool users and the Poly pool is just great...but I'm not sure what the temp's are like in December and if swimming will be a part of your plans. For me having the Poly without using the volcano pool would take a big chunk out of my enjoyment of the resort. I hope that makes sense! Either way you're going to have an amazing time so go with your gut feeling..imo :surfweb:

Thanks guys! I will have to sit down and hunt through the pictures and perks and maps of both resorts I guess. I know enough of CR but not of Poly. I know dh likes CR, because he is a techy sort of guy and likes clean lines, but I know the rest of us (my mom and i mainly ;) ) Would like the Poly.

Well, as for the pool and temps in Dec...we are from New Brunswick Canada, above Maine. December weather is great swimming weather for us! When DH and I and the kids went down 2nd week in Dec last year, first day was cool enough to sport my Canadian Hoodie. The following 5 days were GORGEOUS! We were sweaty and loved it. I know the temp in Celsius was above 30...in F, Im not sure. 80s? Does that sound right? lol I have no idea.
Im sure we will use the pool at least once. We aren't big pool people, but my 14 yr old sister will love it, and so will my kids IM sure. Which means I will have to love it ;)

Im just excited to go, but for my parents this is the first time ever to go so far from home, via plane, and so expensive of a trip. I want this to be perfect for them. And as pp said, Poly does indeed seem more vacation'y'.

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM This is going to be tough.

Poly for me, hands down. Stayed there 9/07 and CR 12/08. I do agree that the rooms at the Poly to me do not feel "deluxe", even though they have been refurbed. The CR rooms, I feel, are so much more pleasing to the eye and I was very pleased with the room. They are more what a deluxe room should look and feel like. The difference for me was totally a feeling. At the Poly, I truly felt like I was on vacation...I was more relaxed and I liked the atmosphere so much more. I did not get that same feeling at the CR and I missed that. I think it depends what you are looking for. I always liked the nicer room but not in this case. The CR also has the walkway to MK and that was convenient. Both have good transporation options.

Poly for me, hands down. Stayed there 9/07 and CR 12/08. I do agree that the rooms at the Poly to me do not feel "deluxe", even though they have been refurbed. The CR rooms, I feel, are so much more pleasing to the eye and I was very pleased with the room. They are more what a deluxe room should look and feel like. The difference for me was totally a feeling. At the Poly, I truly felt like I was on vacation...I was more relaxed and I liked the atmosphere so much more. I did not get that same feeling at the CR and I missed that. I think it depends what you are looking for. I always liked the nicer room but not in this case. The CR also has the walkway to MK and that was convenient. Both have good transporation options.

What exactly are the transportation options. I mean the obvious being monorail to MK and Epcot right? How are the bus rides to AK and HS from each resort? I know they arent far from one another, but thought I'd ask. I doubt we'd use the walkway to MK in fact with 2 kindergarteners.

I wish we could take the CR rooms and put them at the Poly...it's exactly that...the rooms that give me the question mark. Also, in the few pictures I have seen it looks sort of cramped. But..again, i know its just a picture.

What exactly are the transportation options. I mean the obvious being monorail to MK and Epcot right? How are the bus rides to AK and HS from each resort? I know they arent far from one another, but thought I'd ask. I doubt we'd use the walkway to MK in fact with 2 kindergarteners.
Well always in the afternoons the Contemporary and Polynesian share bus service. They sometimes share bus service in the mornings but not all the time. However when they do share together the Contemporary is always the first location where guests are picked up and dropped off at, for the Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach and the Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon buses.

I've been to both and while the CR was nice (I was stayed club level to only time I was there), I prefer the Poly. The CR rooms are attractive but have very drawer space if you like to unpack. I also hated the sinks at the CR.

I also like that you can walk from Poly to TTC to catch the direct Epcot monorail.

From Poly to get to MK you can take either monorail or the boat.

I love the beach at the Poly-especially at night-watching the castle change colors.

About the cost, why is it more? I suppose I just assumed that all dlx *cheapest* rooms were the same cost.

Now hubby is talking about him wanting to stay at Pop just to save the $$. BAH!

Ok so let me throw this question out there. It is $1000 more to stay at CR than Pop. Ok, I know one is value and one is dlx, so the differences are there. But how much do they matter? Monorail vs boat? Rooms vs...smaller rooms I suppose. Im just wondering if I shouldn't be so stuck about a dlx this time or if I really should do it at least this once...since we've never.

Is it worth the $1000. We don't seem to be resort people...as in, we dont spend much time at all at the resort doing anything. We love to be in the parks as much as possible. So? What do you think?

About the cost, why is it more? I suppose I just assumed that all dlx *cheapest* rooms were the same cost.

Ok so let me throw this question out there. It is $1000 more to stay at CR than Pop. Ok, I know one is value and one is dlx, so the differences are there. But how much do they matter? Monorail vs boat? Rooms vs...smaller rooms I suppose. Im just wondering if I shouldn't be so stuck about a dlx this time or if I really should do it at least this once...since we've never.

Is it worth the $1000. We don't seem to be resort people...as in, we dont spend much time at all at the resort doing anything. We love to be in the parks as much as possible. So? What do you think?

To us, the extra cost for a deluxe is totally worth it......but that's just our opinion. With the deluxes you're paying alot for location (Poly/GF/CR being on the monorail, for example). There are other amenities that drive the cost up over the values and mods, but location is a big factor ;). Have you considered the WL for a deluxe??? It's not on the monorail but it does have convenient boat service to/from the MK and CR :goodvibes. Plus it's quite a bit cheaper than the Poly :rolleyes:. The WL is an awesome resort.....and even more so during the holidays (since your going in Dec) :thumbsup2. The decorations are gorgeous and the resort has a homey Christmas feel to it when it's all decorated :santa:. But if you are still leaning toward the CR or Poly, I would choose the Poly :). The CR just doesn't have any appeal to us but we LOVED the Poly!!!!! Good luck with your decision :wizard:.

With CR, the main draw is the transportation and location. As for amenities, it lacks some that both the Poly and GF have (tennis, spa, bike rentals.)

The thing is, when you stay at a nicer resort, you tend to spend more time there whether you play to or not. I love the Values foe what they are, but all things being equal, would have no desire to spend a day away from the parks at one.

With CR, the main draw is the transportation and location. As for amenities, it lacks some that both the Poly and GF have (tennis, spa, bike rentals.)
What your forgetting is a lot of that stuff is not at the Polynesian, because when it comes to a health club and other things they need to walk over to the Grand Floridian. Also you left out the fact the Contemporary has a boat rentals locations.

From your signature, you have stayed at the value level before. That vacation got you hooked...so if you stay at Pop this upcoming vacation will be similar. If you stay at a deluxe, then the vacation will be more expensive but you will 1) have a larger room 2) be closer to at least one park 3) have more dining options 4) have a pool slide and you will have a more upscale environment. Maybe you don't need this if you spend every waking moment in the parks. Its your money and your call.

I agree with Mickeynut1 - I think you'ld be very happy at the WL. DH and I stayed there last year for our anniversary and I was not disappointed. I was awed as we drove up at night to check in, and awed again when we entered for the first time. I loved the atmosphere, the music, the "springs" inside the building, the pool area was very nice, and the boat ride to MK was a major perk as well! We also ate at the Artist Point - mmmmmmmm. I can't say enough about WL! Still a delux, but you would be saving money... worth looking into! :thumbsup2

It has been years since I stayed at the CR but have stayed at the Poly recently. It is beautiful and relaxing. It has two TS restaurants and plenty of ambiance and the monorail as well. It is pricey.

If you are not resort people it may be tough to justify so much extra money on the resort, but that is just me.

I really liked AKL but that is a resort that begs for time spent there. Perhaps a little compromise, stay at POFQ. It is pretty, compact, and relaxing. I was not inconvenienced by the bus transportation and it was a treat to come back to the light jazz in the background and the landscaped "streets" leading back tot he room.

We like to spend time relaxing at the resort, it is realy a part of our vacation so I try to find a resort that offers amenities that we will use. There is a lot to be said for the DLX resorts, AKL and WL are a little less money and have a lot to entice you back. The Poly was beautiful and I admit we were all spoiled by the monorail and boat transportation, but the next trip we did change our reservation to stay at POFQ again.

I would suggest really thinking about how much you really use the resort and what value you place on the surroundings. Then ask if the difference in price is equal to the value you have placed.

What your forgetting is a lot of that stuff is not at the Polynesian, because when it comes to a health club and other things they need to walk over to the Grand Floridian. Also you left out the fact the Contemporary has a boat rentals locations.

I'm not forgetting it. I was listing what the other 2 have. I know CR has Sammy Duvall's, but with all due respect, it's very expensive. I don't think the boat rentals honestly is a huge plus for any deluxe resort. All the moderates have them as well.

Of the 3, the GF is the only one with a Spa and tennis courts. If that's important, then it's a huge plus. Not sure if GF has bike rentals, but the Poly does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter