Poly or WL for Christmas trip?

ShelleyLynn

Mouseketeer
We have decided to spend Christmas 2014 at WDW:banana:We try and stay at a different resort each time we go and our top 2 picks for this trip would be the Poly or WL. Obviously the WL would have the classic Christmas feeling and the Poly would have the "beach" Christmas vibe. I have never seen the Poly decorated at Christmas so I am not sure how much they do decorate. Any advice from experienced Christmas travelers? We want monorail for easy travel since the crowds will be huge. We can either go Dec. 20-27th and have lower crowds or go Dec 23-Jan. 2 and stay longer but have bigger crowds. Advice about dates? This trip will be our 9th trip as a family, we will be in WDW Oct. 2013 for a week and May 2014 for 5 nights. Our girls will be 13 and 11 for the Christmas 2014 trip. Thanks for advice!

We have decided to spend Christmas 2014 at WDW:banana:We try and stay at a different resort each time we go and our top 2 picks for this trip would be the Poly or WL. Obviously the WL would have the classic Christmas feeling and the Poly would have the "beach" Christmas vibe. I have never seen the Poly decorated at Christmas so I am not sure how much they do decorate. Any advice from experienced Christmas travelers? We want monorail for easy travel since the crowds will be huge. We can either go Dec. 20-27th and have lower crowds or go Dec 23-Jan. 2 and stay longer but have bigger crowds. Advice about dates? This trip will be our 9th trip as a family, we will be in WDW Oct. 2013 for a week and May 2014 for 5 nights. Our girls will be 13 and 11 for the Christmas 2014 trip. Thanks for advice!

I would go WL.

The decorations at Poly aren't all that, whereas Christmas at WL is spectacular. And, yeah, Poly has the monorail, but I have been so frustrated by monorail travel recently that I no longer see the advantage of it. A tip if you do stay WL is to take the bus to MK. It is super-quick and because everyone tends to take the boat, rarely crowded. If you'll have a car, you might want to just drive to the other parks. :confused3 As for crowds, I think you'll have to deal with huge crowds either way, so I'd probably opt for the longer stay.

My caveat to all this is: if the Poly theme is much more appealing to you and/or you really want a big room (Poly rooms are much bigger than WL), then go Poly.

That's a tough one as the the Poly is our favorite resort overall, but the WL is probably our favorite during the holidays :santa:. The WL is beautiful any time of year, but is just gorgeous all decorated for Christmas. The Poly, on the other hand, has some nice decorations, but nothing compared to the WL. I agree with the pp that if you want a larger room and tropical theme, go with the Poly. If you want a more cozy, holiday feel, go with the WL. With that said, you can't go wrong with either one as they are both awesome places to stay and I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter which resort you choose :goodvibes. Good luck.

I've been at both during the holidays & while I LOVE LOVE LOVE Poly, I would pick WL hands down for holiday décor. There is something so warm, cozy & inviting about the theming there in December, I long to be there every year!

I really like the Poly for it's location and theming, but for xmas decorations, the WL really beats the Poly, IMO. The only resort on the monorail that can match WL's decorations is the GF (very different, but gorgeous decorations that time of year).

I think you'll have to pick between the convenience of the Poly and the theming of the WL. Visited both during xmas and the Poly theme and look just don't lend themselves to the decorations -- WL has that lovely "log cabin/lodge" theming that goes so nicely with the tree and all...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter