Poll: For those of you who have owned DVC greater than 5 years, do you plan to stay long term or sell?

For those of you who have owned DVC greater than 5 years, do you plan to stay long term or sell?

• Keep long term (barring unexpected circumstances)

Votes: 191 85.7%
  • I have plans to sell

Votes: 32 14.3%

• Total voters

BekCG45

Earning My Ears
The reason I am asking, is because I have seen comments lately, (especially since the Poly2 announcement), that some don’t feel good about the direction DVC is going and have their exit strategy in place. I have seen this with discussion of annual passes as well. Obviously there is also a TON of excitement regarding Poly2 and many on here seem to be perfectly happy with their DVC membership, so there are many differing views.

My husband and I have been looking into DVC for a few months- podcasts, blogs, youtube videos, message boards, Disney guide, etc. I’m sure we still have a lot to learn, but we feel that it makes financial sense for our family and travel habits. At the same time, I want to make sure we aren’t thinking about joining something that many are thinking of jumping ship from. Maybe there is something about the direction DVC is going that I don’t fully understand because I am new to learning about it. Thanks for your votes and feedback!

Long term. Members since 1997 and have added on both direct and resale. I hope to outlive my BWV contract (I’ll be in my 80’s). The kids can decide what to do with the others. We’ve sold contacts to buy others at places we really wanted to stay.
I think much of the unhappiness is stemming from Disney and their business decisions that have a negative result for DVC members. The perks offered before 2009 (maybe 2006...can’t remember) were nothing great. Then they started with annual pass discounts and then being able to purchase the dining plan. Then came moonlight magic and the Figment lounge. This debacle with the annual passes is absurd. I don’t understand their logic...even though I’m able to renew, it makes me angry for others. I don’t see them eliminating them....but it is making it very costly for some members. This is a major reason of the anger and unhappiness you see, and understandably so.
I would not be upset about no more Moonlight Magic or Figment lounge. But we visit multiple times a year and buying tickets for each trip would be very costly. Part of adding more points was due to the annual pass and making it easier to go more often.
Everyone is different. If you plan on a trip every year, or twice a year or every other year, you need to figure in the cost of park admission and travel to Florida. I’ve never been sorry for any of our DVC purchases. We are not really into traveling the world...even domestic travel, we tend to stick to the eastern seaboard, so DVC works for us.

16 years and we have enjoyed the ability to buy and sell points. I will say the thing that still bothers my husband the most is the loss of valet parking. He is still bitter LOL. I will say the benefits have gone down steadily but we still love staying at the resorts and unlike most timeshares, Disney holds value!

We bought in 2009 so now 13 year owners and no plan to sell at all. We own 900 points...475 owned with my three adult children and 425 just DH and I.

I love visiting Disney and the area. My kids also enjoy it and because we have gone since they were little, they too can go and enjoy it without being overwhelmed by having to do parks morning to night.

I don't think it's possible to say that "many" are thinking of abandoning DVC. Nobody really knows if people actually will or are merely angry and venting. I suspect more the latter.

Akin to what Dizzydizney said above, I think much of the dissatisfaction currently stems more from the park management decisions being made than from changes to DVC, other than the dismay of DVCers who rely heavily upon APs.

We can go only once annually so have never had an AP. We will be unhappy if the DDP doesn't return or returns at a substantially greater cost as some expect. We'll cope, though, if that occurs since we've broken even on DVC and now go to WDW for less than a third of what a hotel room stay cost us.

We looooove our "Disney's Red Roof Inn" aka the Grand Floridian. :-)

We will keep most likely, but really changing how we do Disney. Next few trips we will spend a lot of time at Universal and relaxing around the resort. Hated Genie+ and LL on our last trip. Lots of rides down. Food has gone downhill and prices up. since We now have to rent a car because we arrive at different times that is a lot of money we will not spend at Disney.

New points are expensive and point charts at new resorts are crazy. Would never buy direct now.

Long term. The original intent (and still is today) is that we don't have to worry about our accommodations when we go. Unless we somehow become anti-Disney fans, I don't see a reason for not visiting...even if it is every other year instead of yearly.

Depends on how you travel. I bought intending to do multiple small trips, rope drop for a couple hours then pop in for dinner, do an afternoon here or there. My plans don't work without APs. I absolutely have an exit strategy if APs are eliminated.

If you plan on going every other year, or only for a couple peak days or the Christmas party or something, maybe APs don't matter to you. They do to me.

I agree G+ and LL have been a disappointment, and I'm willing to spend to get better treatment. I expect to see major change in those systems, so I'm not basing my DVC choices on that. I do expect those systems will improve and that there will be a workable booking system, if you are willing to pay.

Last edited:
Long term. We are members since 1995 and are happy with our purchase. We don't really care about where DVC is going/changing since all we wanted was the room. We've since moved to FL but still use our DVC points fully.

1996 OKW vet here. Yes, DVC has evolved and there have been better years, however we are in it until the bitter end! We have a blue card and our son and DIL are on the contract so they are good until 2057. Luckily we all have AP's.

2023 will my 50th year at WDW and I have a strong personal connection having been a feature artist at EPCOT and our son basically grew up at Disney. We meet our son and DIL there once or twice a year since they live in TX and we are in NH. We try to accept what we have no power to change. Those are strong ties that bind.

We have nine other contracts. We do buy, rent and sell but that is another story... We are all over the new Poly!

Everyone has their own Disney story. We're not going anywhere!

Won't vote in poll as we've only owned for 2 years but we have no plans to sell for the next decade at least. Beyond that, who knows.

We've owned since 2012. There has certainly been a decline in our perceived value of a Disney vacation. I consider us to be in the trial separation phase of our relationship with Disney. Chances are very good that we will begin downsizing soon with intent to divest ourselves of the majority of our points.

In it for the long haul. CEOs are not forever and there is still lot of magic made by countless CMs. Also love Disney Animation. We're changing how we travel a bit, going to Universal now also, but WDW is still our happy place

Won't vote in poll as we've only owned for 2 years but we have no plans to sell for the next decade at least. Beyond that, who knows.
I should note... technically we have already sold one contract, but it was to change home resorts and add more points 😅

I should note... technically we have already sold one contract, but it was to change home resorts and add more points 😅

Haha I’ve heard “addonitis” is very real! 😂 If we do end up purchasing and love it, I’m already bracing myself that I might be tempted by some Poly2 points in a couple years!

Thanks so much to everyone for the thorough responses. Reading all of this has been incredibly helpful. We still have a lot to think about and discuss, but this helps us to see the big picture from varying perspectives.

facebook twitter