• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Polar Express Train Ride

BLTtinkerbell

DIS Veteran
Have you ever gone on a Polar Express Train Ride? My DH & I are taking DS who is in 2nd grade. We are going on the one in Portland, ME. We went to see the movie at the I-Max a few years back & he really enjoyed it. He always asks about going on the Polar Express because friends at school have gone. He doesn't know yet. I just booked it! :santa:

Our friends did the same one. They said it was great! I think the story is so magical. I hope you have a ball! Come back and post about it please.:santa::santa:

we went and thought it was corny...even my kids ages 5 & 7 at the time were bored. Definitely not worth the money they wont even collect your tickets. We went to Essex CT

I was never fortunate enough to get tickets when my daughter was the right age, but I am going to start entering the lottery for tickets for North Conway NH's Polar Express next year, hoping to take my grandson. Those who have been rave about it. Tickets are almost impossible to get and they are given out primarily via a lottery system.

If I happen to drive through town on a night when it is Polar Express, I think the little kids all dressed up in their PJ's and robes for the train ride are so cute.

We did the one in Sacramento, CA last year and my kids loved it. They dressed in their PJ's as did most of the children on the train. We listened to the story as it came alive infront of us, whilst drinking hot cocoa and eating cookies and then Santa boarded the train and spent a few minutes with all the children as he handed out a sleigh bells.:santa:

It was such a wonderful time for all of us. I would so love to do it again!:cloud9:

I was never fortunate enough to get tickets when my daughter was the right age, but I am going to start entering the lottery for tickets for North Conway NH's Polar Express next year, hoping to take my grandson. Those who have been rave about it. Tickets are almost impossible to get and they are given out primarily via a lottery system.

If I happen to drive through town on a night when it is Polar Express, I think the little kids all dressed up in their PJ's and robes for the train ride are so cute.

I know the one you are talking about. I have entered that lottery many times without luck. A friend of mine was lucky enough to get tickets to that one & her family loved it!

Just last night, I was thinking there must be other options, so I googled "Polar Express Train Ride" & found the one in Portland, ME. I bet my DS will love it.

I will post back after we go. We are going the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

I've not done the PE in Portland, though I've been on that train many times. An FYI that it's a narrow gauge train (smaller than a full sized train). Don't be surprised when it looks little, lol. I'm also not sure what all decorations they put up, for past Christmas events there were lighted displays along the way. Just FYI the tracks go right along the side of the harbor. (You're always within view of the water/islands.) Don't expect to be out in the woods. It's also very likely to not have snow, though who knows! :)

That said- the guys who work there are pretty gungho about their trains and I'd imagine it will be very fun.

We've done the North Conway one (we actually did it out of Lincoln because I'd entered both lotteries and that's what I won, but same organization). It's extra magical because it's in the woods, in the mountains, I'd say more likely to have snow. You're going through the middle of no where and then you stop at the "North Pole" and there's all the elves and all. We had kids 3-8 and they all loved it. (Parents too!) Sometimes you can get tickets, bypassing the lottery, by getting a package deal at some of the local hotels.

Don't forget to wear your jammies! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter