• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Points vs location??

Gaboo414

Earning My Ears
Would you prefer to buy where you want to stay or would you prefer a bigger allotment of points? I'm seriously considering BLT but yet I know SSR is the best value. We are looking for 1 bedroom stays from now on. And I know there is better chances anywhere to book 1 bedrooms instead of studios at the 7 month mark.

All depends, IMO, on how often you are going to go. When I first bought in 2009, I bought BLT because I knew that is where I wanted to stay on my yearly trips, wanted SV to maximize points, and didn't want the hassle of dealing with a 7 month window. Fast forward to 2019 and I know own BWV and SSR. I added on BWV because I started going yearly to F & W and wanted 11 month advantage for that. Two years ago, I sold off the BLT to purchase more points at SSR because I am retiring and knew I would be going monthly and knew, because my travel times would be flexible, that I would surely be able to stay elsewhere at 7 months if I wanted, especially since I am no longer locked into school vacations.

As you mention, 1 bedrooms tend to be the last to book up so that will work in your favor. If you are okay staying at SSR if you can't get into BLT, the go for more points. If you see yourself traveling during the busy DVC times...October through after January 1st, especially December, you won't have a lot of luck trading into BLT at the 7 month mark, even for 1 bedrooms as most book 11 months out for travel during that time.

Would you prefer to buy where you want to stay or would you prefer a bigger allotment of points? I'm seriously considering BLT but yet I know SSR is the best value. We are looking for 1 bedroom stays from now on. And I know there is better chances anywhere to book 1 bedrooms instead of studios at the 7 month mark.
Every contract that I own is for a resort where I would prefer to stay. I certainly could have used the money that I spent on VGF contracts to purchase more points at SSR, but:
  1. I much prefer VGF to SSR and being able to get a studio there at the 11-month window was important to me.
  2. I know that I would feel “stuck at SSR” if I couldn’t switch at 7 months.
  3. More points = more dues.
  4. SSR expires 10 years before VGF.

Depends on when you want to go.

If you are talking high demand times (early dec) you will have trouble. Also Board Walk and Beach vlub during F&W.

If you are flexible, you should have a few options in 1 bed rooms most other times of the year. If you only want BLT, I would buy BLT. But if you are ok at 1 of say 3 or 4 resorts, I think SSR points are fine.

I myself consider some "7 month points" but I do have 2 contracts at resorts I want to stay at.

Depends on when you want to go.

If you are talking high demand times (early dec) you will have trouble. Also Board Walk and Beach vlub during F&W.

If you are flexible, you should have a few options in 1 bed rooms most other times of the year. If you only want BLT, I would buy BLT. But if you are ok at 1 of say 3 or 4 resorts, I think SSR points are fine.

I myself consider some "7 month points" but I do have 2 contracts at resorts I want to stay at.

We have a little one who will be turning 5 and commencing the regular school calendar. Therefore our vacation will primarily focus around June through the beginning of September.

The recurring DVC costs between BLT and SSR are roughly the same right now. The initial buy in at BLT is obviously more expensive, but that's a one time cost.

If you plan on traveling during Summer, you shouldn't currently have a problem getting a 1 bedroom Lake View at BLT. If that stays the case for the next 10 years, I'm not sure.

I made a similar decision a couple years ago when we bought in, and we decided the extra BLT cost was worth it. I bought in at 125 a point though, not sure what I would have done if BLT was in the 140's to 150's like it is now. SSR was low 90's a couple years ago. We do travel during busy seasons though, so the 11 month booking window was super important.

For me, location comes first. For the little time spent in the room, unless I'm staying with friends/relatives that I need an exceptional amount of personal space from, I can make do with a smaller room as long as there is a legitimate place for everyone to sleep.

According to the great work done by @skier_pete BLT lake view one bedrooms are pretty wide open then
https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...rooms-june-2018-update.3689931/#post-59393081

I'm like the genie - call me and I come..."What do you need!"

So - yes - I agree if you are sure that what you want is (a) one bedrooms or two bedrooms and (b) to travel NOT during high DVC season of October 1 - Jan 15: then I would say that you are OK saving money and buying at SSR - as long as you get enough points to get a Lake view room. If you plan to need studios at times, then I would buy where you want to stay.

Yes but it's also longer stays and bigger rooms.
If that’s your goal. But it’s still money out of pocket...every blessed year that you own the contract. I would rather pay less in dues, stay in a smaller villa or for a shorter time. But that’s me and not you.

If that’s your goal. But it’s still money out of pocket...every blessed year that you own the contract. I would rather pay less in dues, stay in a smaller villa or for a shorter time. But that’s me and not you.

Then buy lower points and its less money upfront and lower maintenance fees overall? Not sure the point of the comment?

The points of SSR is "cheap" upfront and extremely low yearly fees.

Then buy lower points and its less money upfront and lower maintenance fees overall? Not sure the point of the comment?

The point is that while you prefer the “cheap” points in greater quantity, I prefer to have the security of being able to book my home resort in the 11-7 month window instead of participating in the Hunger Games that the 7-month window has become. My choice. Why do you have an issue with that? You’re the one who posed the question
Would you prefer to buy where you want to stay or would you prefer a bigger allotment of points?
I answered honestly and now you’re arguing with me about it.

The point is that while you prefer the “cheap” points in greater quantity, I prefer to have the security of being able to book my home resort in the 11-7 month window instead of participating in the Hunger Games that the 7-month window has become. My choice. Why do you have an issue with that? You’re the one who posed the question

I answered honestly and now you’re arguing with me about it.

Sorry you are mixing people up. I didn't post the original question and they are not arguing with you either.

I also didn't ask you any question you simply pointed out more points = more yearly dues when I was stating the counter point that it comes with bigger rooms. If you choose to not want a bigger room or longer stay (which you tried to state) then its just cheaper in general.

To your point the 11 vs 7 month booking window is the big difference in all of this.

In general I prefer to own were I want to stay as I normally book within the 8-11 month window. I have sometimes booked within the 7 month window and then have used my SSR points for that. It really comes down to when you are going to be booking. The 7 month window has changed so much in the last 5 years, who knows what it will be like 5 years from now? My guess would be even harder.

Also, worth considering the point charts which can vary by upwards of 50% for the same room type/dates. So even though you're paying more per point, you need less points for some resorts (OKW or BWV 76 points minimum for a week vs 125 points minimum at say VGF).

I'm like the genie - call me and I come..."What do you need!"

So - yes - I agree if you are sure that what you want is (a) one bedrooms or two bedrooms and (b) to travel NOT during high DVC season of October 1 - Jan 15: then I would say that you are OK saving money and buying at SSR - as long as you get enough points to get a Lake view room. If you plan to need studios at times, then I would buy where you want to stay.
You are the Genie Pete - kudos for all you've done for us all.

Also, worth considering the point charts which can vary by upwards of 50% for the same room type/dates. So even though you're paying more per point, you need less points for some resorts (OKW or BWV 76 points minimum for a week vs 125 points minimum at say VGF).
Interesting point Stewart715 makes. I am in the process of buying a small BRV contract - only 100 points. However, the point charts at BRV go further for a studio vs a 1 bedroom. Based on Pete's chart probability, 7-11 month ownership at BRV is very important if you want a studio vs a much more point expensive 1 Bedroom which, based on that chart, is pretty easy at 7 months. Not only that, but while I have never stayed in a 1 bedroom there, in the case of BRV both a 1 Bedroom and a studio both sleep 5.

I debated the same question, purchase less points, but at a home location we would like to stay vs. buy more (cheaper) points at a resort such as SSR. I chose to buy the right amount of points for my families situation at the resort we would like to call home. I like having the peace of mind that I can book at 11 months, and not worry about being "stuck" there if we look at 7 months and another resort isn't available. I didn't want to pay more annual dues (higher point purchase SSR scenario), just to have the possibility to book a 1 bedroom at 7 months, when my family is perfectly fine with a studio at 11 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter