Points for 2BR or Joining Studios?

softballpooh

Mouseketeer
My sister and I have been contemplating DVC for several years now and are seriously considering taking the plunge. Travel party is myself, DD, mom and my sister. Sister is single and DD is only child/grandchild. DH and dad provide extra spending $$ if we don't ask them to go :) We visit WDW 1-2 times each year and have stayed value, moderate and deluxe. Standard rooms have worked out fine because my DD and I would share a bed but now that she's older we need more room. If we bought DVC, then I would want each of us to have our own actual bed (not sofa or chair), so I began pricing points for 2BR since this seemed to be the only viable option. However, I recently read recommendations to get two adjoining studios to use the points more efficiently and have an additional bathroom.

Also, initially I thought my sister and I would buy one contract together and split the cost down the middle. Upon further reading, it looks like we should each get our own contract and somehow use our points together on our trips. I like the idea of split stays in differing resorts.

SSR, AKL and BLT are where I was focusing my efforts, but should Poly be in consideration because of the studios?

Can you help me think through this? Pros? Cons? Other ideas and options? Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!

The only studios that connect are at the Poly. All others do not. You can request to have them close to each other, but it’s not a guarantee.

The new renovated rooms at SSR will have two beds in a studio...not all done yet.

So will RIV and OKW.

2BR is really 3 room areas so a whole extra area to spread out. A 1BR is basically like 2 studios with 1 doorway entry, look up the size charts.

If you have separate contracts downside is you have two separate reservations, bookings at 8am on month 11, ect.

My sister and I have been contemplating DVC for several years now and are seriously considering taking the plunge. Travel party is myself, DD, mom and my sister. Sister is single and DD is only child/grandchild. DH and dad provide extra spending $$ if we don't ask them to go :) We visit WDW 1-2 times each year and have stayed value, moderate and deluxe. Standard rooms have worked out fine because my DD and I would share a bed but now that she's older we need more room. If we bought DVC, then I would want each of us to have our own actual bed (not sofa or chair), so I began pricing points for 2BR since this seemed to be the only viable option. However, I recently read recommendations to get two adjoining studios to use the points more efficiently and have an additional bathroom.

Also, initially I thought my sister and I would buy one contract together and split the cost down the middle. Upon further reading, it looks like we should each get our own contract and somehow use our points together on our trips. I like the idea of split stays in differing resorts.

SSR, AKL and BLT are where I was focusing my efforts, but should Poly be in consideration because of the studios?

Can you help me think through this? Pros? Cons? Other ideas and options? Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!
I would do your own contract. You could each do different home resorts and do split stays. You can each book your own rooms. 2 bed blt is more points than 2 studios at poly (connecting) but you get the kitchen and laundry at blt. Are you needing 4 beds otherwise I’d do a 1 bed as most sleep 4-5 and gives you space.

Standard rooms have worked out fine because my DD and I would share a bed but now that she's older we need more room. If we bought DVC, then I would want each of us to have our own actual bed (not sofa or chair), so I began pricing points for 2BR since this seemed to be the only viable option.

A two bedroom will have a bed in the master and 2 beds in the second bedroom. Someone will still have to use a sofa or chair pullout for you each to have your own bed. And a two bedroom lock off will have only 2 real beds (the one in the master and one in the studio section.) OKW has 2 actual beds in the studio but all other studios have a sofa bed as the second bed option. RIV and SSR (after all renovations are done) will have a Murphy bed as the second sleeping surface as opposed to a sofa bed.

If we bought DVC, then I would want each of us to have our own actual bed (not sofa or chair)
I think that getting your own contracts makes more sense than buying one contract and trying to share it. You and your sister may be very close, but what happens if there’s a divorce and one of you needs to sell their share of the contract? Or when the children get older and want to go to Disney on their own? You can always purchase the same resort and UY so that one can transfer points to the other in order to make a single reservation.

As to getting “real” beds, the only studios that will provide that are OKW (2 queen beds) plus RIV and the refurbished SSR studios which have a Murphy-style bed that folds out as the sofa folds down. None of those resorts has connecting studios.

Poly, which is the only DVC with connecting studios, has a queen bed, a sofa bed and the fold down bed, which is smaller than a twin.

Dedicated 2BR villas will have 1K, 2Q, and a queen sleeper sofa. RIV &VGF will also have the pull-down single bed. BWV does not have dedicated 2BR villas and will only have 1K, 1Q, 2Q sleeper sofas and 1 pull-down single.

When it comes to getting your own “real” beds, you’ll have to do some compromising. Either spend big on 2BR villas and accept that there are some resorts that still will not meet your requirements, or choose to book studios with the knowledge that most will not connect and many will not have 2 regular beds for quite some time (if ever).

I think that getting your own contracts makes more sense than buying one contract and trying to share it. You and your sister may be very close, but what happens if there’s a divorce and one of you needs to sell their share of the contract? Or when the children get older and want to go to Disney on their own? You can always purchase the same resort and UY so that one can transfer points to the other in order to make a single reservation.

As to getting “real” beds, the only studios that will provide that are OKW (2 queen beds) plus RIV and the refurbished SSR studios which have a Murphy-style bed that folds out as the sofa folds down. None of those resorts has connecting studios.

Poly, which is the only DVC with connecting studios, has a queen bed, a sofa bed and the fold down bed, which is smaller than a twin.

Dedicated 2BR villas will have 1K, 2Q, and a queen sleeper sofa. RIV &VGF will also have the pull-down single bed. BWV does not have dedicated 2BR villas and will only have 1K, 1Q, 2Q sleeper sofas and 1 pull-down single.

When it comes to getting your own “real” beds, you’ll have to do some compromising. Either spend big on 2BR villas and accept that there are some resorts that still will not meet your requirements, or choose to book studios with the knowledge that most will not connect and many will not have 2 regular beds for quite some time (if ever).

Thanks for the descriptions and clarifications! I didn't realize that about OKW studios so I'll give that one a closer look. Yes, I think the 2 contracts is the way to go just to avoid any future issues.

Standard rooms have worked out fine because my DD and I would share a bed but now that she's older we need more room. If we bought DVC, then I would want each of us to have our own actual bed (not sofa or chair), so I began pricing points for 2BR since this seemed to be the only viable option.

A two bedroom will have a bed in the master and 2 beds in the second bedroom. Someone will still have to use a sofa or chair pullout for you each to have your own bed. And a two bedroom lock off will have only 2 real beds (the one in the master and one in the studio section.) OKW has 2 actual beds in the studio but all other studios have a sofa bed as the second bed option. RIV and SSR (after all renovations are done) will have a Murphy bed as the second sleeping surface as opposed to a sofa bed.

The Murphy bed may actually be alright since they tend to sleep better than the sofa beds. Good information to have and share with my sister as we plan!

We like the kitchen aspect so even if our family fit in a studio (we don't, lol) we wouldn't book that.
The kitchen, with dining room table and in room washer/ dryer are high priority items for us. Studios don't have that.
My husband is OCD about laundry and throws in a load before we leave for the parks every morning. Our youngest daughter has a genetic disorder and eating out isn't always easy with her restrictions. We like to snack on a lot of fresh veggies while at the park and not paying Disney prices for drinks is important to us so a full sized refrigerator is a must.

If you booked two studios at OKW, they could either be at opposite ends of the building, one under the other on different floors or completely different buildings. There are four buildings with two studios next to each other, but those studios have no windows, only the patio door to let in light. And those could be on the first, second or third floors (buildings are square U shaped buildings). But you still might not get them next to each other.

Personally, I wouldn't buy DVC to just stay in studios. You might as well stay in a hotel room and get two real beds all the time.

Looking at two bedroom villas, if you book a lockoff (and BWV and AKV-JH only have lockoff two bedroom villas), you'd get a master bedroom with a king and the second bedroom with a queen and double sleeper sofa. You'd need to book a dedicated two bedroom to get two queen beds in the second bedroom.

Last edited:
We really liked the connecting studios at Poly. They actually suited our large traveling party last year better than a 2 bedroom would have. They felt very spacious and the extra showers/sinks were a welcome feature. We don’t cook big meals at WDW so the kitchenette is fine for our needs. And for the 1x per week we do laundry, I didn’t mind going to the common area.

We really liked the connecting studios at Poly. They actually suited our large traveling party last year better than a 2 bedroom would have. They felt very spacious and the extra showers/sinks were a welcome feature. We don’t cook big meals at WDW so the kitchenette is fine for our needs. And for the 1x per week we do laundry, I didn’t mind going to the common area.

I am not sure how having two completely separate bedrooms areas plus a living space with a kitchen is inferior to having two studio rooms connected? Plus in a 2BR you have laundry and a full kitchen which I don't think is the case in a Poly studio.

Extra showers and sinks? Each Studio at Poly has 1 bathroom. You have some 2BRs that have 3 bathrooms instead.

I am not sure how having two completely separate bedrooms areas plus a living space with a kitchen is inferior to having two studio rooms connected?

Extra showers and sinks? Each Studio at Poly has 1 bathroom. You have some 2BRs that have 3 bathrooms instead.
For us last trip, our party was: myself, DH and our 2 DDs, my parents and my two adult sisters.

In a 2 bedroom, either my adult sisters would have had to sleep in the living room (no privacy) or we would have had to put my daughters there (which didn’t give us the option to stay up and socialize past their bed time).

Now if it was just my parents and my family (6 total) - we would likely choose a 2 bedroom. But with 8 people - when we sat down and thought about it, 2 connecting studios at Poly would work even better. Each studio at Poly has 2 sinks and 2 showers (there are two actual bathroom areas per studio). I don’t know of any 2 bedrooms that have 4 sinks and 4 showers. With 6 adults and 2 children, that was a great time saver in the morning.

To each their own, I was just pointing out that for some families it is a doable option. We bought a contract and my parents bought one as well intending to pool our points together for a 2 bedroom. To our surprise the connecting studios were surprisingly functional and we will do them again next trip.

For us last trip, our party was: myself, DH and our 2 DDs, my parents and my two adult sisters.

In a 2 bedroom, either my adult sisters would have had to sleep in the living room (no privacy) or we would have had to put my daughters there (which didn’t give us the option to stay up and socialize past their bed time).

Now if it was just my parents and my family (6 total) - we would likely choose a 2 bedroom. But with 8 people - when we sat down and thought about it, 2 connecting studios at Poly would work even better. Each studio at Poly has 2 sinks and 2 showers (there are two actual bathroom areas per studio). I don’t know of any 2 bedrooms that have 4 sinks and 4 showers. With 6 adults and 2 children, that was a great time saver in the morning.

To each their own, I was just pointing out that for some families it is a doable option. We bought a contract and my parents bought one as well intending to pool our points together for a 2 bedroom. To our surprise the connecting studios were surprisingly functional and we will do them again next trip.

Ah I was looking at the room plans and didn't notice that extra show that makes sense, I haven't stayed at Poly but was thinking was something off but now I understand more why people talk about the connected studios.

So its 2 rooms and 4 bathrooms in the Studios vs the 3 rooms and 3 bathrooms in certain 2BRs. So picking up an extra shower for dropping the full kitchen, extra room, and full kitchen.

So you're saying they are literally willing to pay NOT to go to WDW?

View attachment 514210

View attachment 514211

Yep, you got it! DH, DD and I have done two trips that have been absolutely magical! He said he's fulfilled his Disney obligation :) He's not a crowd person at all and travels quite a bit for work, so his ideal vacation is actually staying at home. I have an idea though that if we end up with a DVC purchase, then he'll tag along just one more time to try it out. Dad envisioned his retirement being a hermit and mom envisioned hers traveling so if she goes with us then dad is off the hook for the travel! It works well for everyone.

Thanks for this perspective! It's very helpful. If we're getting enough points for the 2BR anyway, then this allows us additional options and possibly to try out Poly, which we've not stayed at before. We actually could even bring additional family members in this configuration or a friend with DD.

Ah I was looking at the room plans and didn't notice that extra show that makes sense, I haven't stayed at Poly but was thinking was something off but now I understand more why people talk about the connected studios.

So its 2 rooms and 4 bathrooms in the Studios vs the 3 rooms and 3 bathrooms in certain 2BRs. So picking up an extra shower for dropping the full kitchen, extra room, and full kitchen.
No, not two bathrooms in the Polynesian studio. It's a split bathroom. One side has a toilet, sink and tub with a shower. The other side has a sink and a shower, no toilet, no tub. BLT and KV two bedroom villas have three full bathrooms (three toilets, three sinks, three tubs and the master bath also has a standalone shower as well as the large tub). And a full kitchen. Plus the washer and dryer.

No, not two bathrooms in the Polynesian studio. It's a split bathroom. One side has a toilet, sink and tub with a shower. The other side has a sink and a shower, no toilet, no tub. BLT and KV two bedroom villas have three full bathrooms (three toilets, three sinks, three tubs and the master bath also has a standalone shower as well as the large tub). And a full kitchen. Plus the washer and dryer.

Sounds like a very specific use case where having 2 bathrooms with 4 seperate showers is more important than extra space, a full kitchen, laundry, and 3 full bathrooms (BLT/KV).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter