• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

points & dues increases year to year?

jodi413

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are just beginning to do our research and one thing I haven't been able to find is historical dues and points increases. I'm wondering on average how much dues increase year to year. And how much the number of points needed to book a room increase year to year. I'm sure someone has done this research, right!?

check the stickies. :)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2823943

total points for the resort (for all the villas for every day of the whole year) is fixed. those pts can be reallocated (and have been a couple of times) but pt costs in general cannot increase through the life of the contract.

edited to add:

you can see some of the reallocations in the links below:

2012 point chart for OKW

original pt charts for OKW (thanks to webmasterdoc).

back in 2011, these were the numbers:

if you wanted a 1BR at OKW for 7 nights in may 1994, it would have cost 200 pts. if you wanted a 1BR at OKW for 7 nights in may 2011, it would cost 199 pts.

OTOH, if you wanted a studio for 5 nights sun-thurs in early december, your 35 pt stay cost in 1994 has now increased by 43% to 50 pts. weeknight stays have taken a hit...but if you just stayed 2 nights on a weekend in early december at OKW, your 34 pt stay in 1994 dropped a bit to 26 pts.

so when some numbers go up, others have to go down. or if everything goes up (as at BLT a couple of years back), then they have reclassified some rooms in the underlying room categories (i.e. there are fewer expensive "theme park view" villas at BLT now than a few years ago - and the extra pts from the formerly expensive villas got spread across the point chart.)

if you typically stay for 7 nights, i doubt you'll see any big changes (although early dec is popular enough that it won't surprise me if they move it to a different season.)

timesharing definitely involves a risk of change, so take that into account.

We have been members since Sept 2009. The point reallocation really helped us by evening out the weekly stays. Members used to stay Sun -Thurs and it was harder to get in during the week. Weekends were wide open because points were higher and they would clear out.

On the other hand MFs go up every year. We own at BLT. When we bought I think they were $3.30, this year they are $4.50. Still the cheapest on property but we are hoping they don't go up so much every year.

Point allocation was stressed on the DVC sales video, in such a way that it appeared the cost of going to a villa (same type and location) doesn't change as years go on. MF's do, and this is the source of cost increase (along with ticket costs, food, etc.) Marketing can be cleaver.

My husband and I are just beginning to do our research and one thing I haven't been able to find is historical dues and points increases. I'm wondering on average how much dues increase year to year. And how much the number of points needed to book a room increase year to year. I'm sure someone has done this research, right!?

If you plot the maintenance fees out and fair a curve a good AVERAGE number for the DW resorts (not HH, VB, etc.) seems to be about a 3.5% annual increase over the last 6-8 years. Of course CPI for the same period is about 2.5% average. Without wanting to get political - I'd plan on 1% over the inflation rate.

As discussed by others - points can only be shifted/re-allocated within a resort - total points per year is a (nearly) fixed number - but the number of points it takes for a 1 bedroom for a week during October can change up OR down.

As discussed by others - points can only be shifted/re-allocated within a resort - total points per year is a (nearly) fixed number - but the number of points it takes for a 1 bedroom for a week during October can change up OR down.

This is a mistake some have made. They figure out that to stay at BWV in a 1br for a week in Sept costs 154 points. They buy 154 points. Next year it goes up to 157 points and they are 3 points short. But maybe the point requirements go down for a studio stay to make up for the 3 points in the 1 br.

My advice would be to figure out your needs and add 10% padding, just in case. You can always bank extra points.

I haven't been back on the boards for a few days... THANK YOU ALL for such helpful replies!

Haha chalee, I don't know how I missed the stickies! LOL :confused3

This is a mistake some have made. They figure out that to stay at BWV in a 1br for a week in Sept costs 154 points. They buy 154 points. Next year it goes up to 157 points and they are 3 points short.

That's why DVC now lets you buy up to 24 points a year (@$15 point). You can complete a stay you can "almost" afford point-wise by buying the additional points. So I don't see this as an issue.

That's why DVC now lets you buy up to 24 points a year (@$15 point). You can complete a stay you can "almost" afford point-wise by buying the additional points. So I don't see this as an issue.

Other than the fact that Disney changed the required points, now you may be short, and they rent you "extra points" to make up your shortage.

:earsboy: Bill

You can only buy these one-time-use 7 months out. If a reallocation leaves you short a few points for your usual stay and that stay is in early December or during F&W or some other busy time, those one-time-use points aren't going to help you when there is no availability to extend your reservation at the 7-month window.

The maintenance fees go up about 4% per annum based on historicals. The lowest CAGR is 2.7% for SSR while BLT is around 5.2%. Seems disney's maintenance fees go up a little higher than GDP. :)

I have to say a HUGE thank you to the OP and those of you who have responded. I was just getting ready to do a search for this exact info before starting a thread asking :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter