Point transfers - current information

lisaviolet

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience with two transfers that I made in the last couple of days, regarding dealing with Member Services and their rules surrounding facilitating transfers.

They are really sticking with having the member who is receiving the points on the call. It is their current procedure.

I understand that some of us still have been able to do it the old way - having the other person's membership number, address etc. and doing an individual call. A manager let me know this is no longer allowed but is still sometimes happening because longstanding CMs are used to this protocol and don't realize the change.

I tried the hang up and get another CM method, before I got the clarity from management. No luck.They are holding firm on not going into anyone's account for any reason, without their permission. I know some of us have had them doing just that, over the years.:rolleyes1

However -

I did get some flexible CMs. And the second CM was absolutely wonderful.

On the first I got it through as a one time gesture.

On the second I simply used two phones, instead of a traditional three way call and that actually worked fine - I was able not to waste the other member's time on a thirty minute hold with me and I could let them go quickly while I finished the transaction.

So heads up, they are being firm with this change.

Last edited:
A few things for those new to transfers:

*Each member can do one transfer (in and out - only one) per UY

*Note that is per UY, not calendar year

"Banked or borrowed points can not be transferred

*points stay in their current UY month and UY when transferred

*However, they can be banked after the transaction is completed

*was told that banking them once transferred is a phone-in transaction, as a supervisor performs it (perhaps it could be done on the chat feature?)

*Both members have to be up-to-date on their dues to do a transfer

*We are now able to see transferred points online (Finally!)

(If I have missed something, feel free to let me know)

Last edited:
Can you transfer points from the following use year, like could you transfer Feb 2022 points now, even though this is the 2021 use year?

We are able to see and use transferred points online.

However online we can only use them during the 0-7 month booking window not between 11-7

Can you transfer points from the following use year, like could you transfer Feb 2022 points now, even though this is the 2021 use year?

Yes. They will let you transfer current and the next UY. It then counts as both your 2021 and 2022 UY transfer.

Yes. They will let you transfer current and the next UY. It then counts as both your 2021 and 2022 UY transfer.

Not Quite, you can transfer both Feb 2021 and Feb 2022 UY transfer out today in 2 different transactions. Feb 2021 gets one transaction, and Feb 2022 points gets another transaction. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

Great3

Not Quite, you can transfer both Feb 2021 and Feb 2022 UY transfer out today in 2 different transactions. Feb 2021 gets one transaction, and Feb 2022 points gets another transaction. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

Great3

Once you transfer the 2021 and 2022 points…which can be done in one call…you will have used up your once per UY transfer for both 2021 and 2022.

So, each one counts against its own UY, even if doing it all the same day. The next set of points that can be transferred would be 2023.

And, the person could no longer receive any 2021 or 2022 UY points because they would have used up the option by transferring out.

Once you transfer the 2021 and 2022 points…which can be done in one call…you will have used up your once per UY transfer for both 2021 and 2022.

So, each one counts against its own UY, even if doing it all the same day. The next set of points that can be transferred would be 2023.

And, the person could no longer receive any 2021 or 2022 UY points because they would have used up the option by transferring out.

Okay yeah, you and I are saying the same thing. I just misunderstood / misinterpreted what you wrote the first time.

Thanks,
Great3

I've only transferred points twice so far, and both times out to another member. I'd call MS and wait for the CM to pick up, explain that I want to transfer points, then call the other member and merge the calls.

Before I make the call, I text the other member that I'm about to call MS and update them on the hold time so they can be ready to take my call after the CM picks up. Pretty painless.

I wonder if the new transfer policy is intended to discourage transfers.

LAX

I just did a point transfer with another member and my points cannot be seen online. When I asked MS about it, she said that was only during COVID and on May 1, 2021, they stopped having transferred points being able to be seen online?!!! Seems really stupid. Does anyone have any info on this or recent experience in last month or two?

******Update: after calling last night, the points are showing on my dashboard now.

Last edited:
The person I transferred to a few weeks ago was able to see her points while we were still on the phone w/ MS. I saw my points disappear right away also.

Can you book a vacation online with transferred points?

Yes, when booking 7 months or less it works well. To use home resort advantage for the transferred points, especially if different than your own resorts, you have to call.

Transferred points can not be used until all the banked and borrowed points of your own contracts are used first, And, it has to be checked ahead of your own contracts in the order for it to use those current points over your own current points.

"Transferred points can not be used until all the banked and borrowed points of your own contracts are used first, And, it has to be checked ahead of your own contracts in the order for it to use those current points over your own current points."

Sandisw, does that still apply when calling to book?

"Transferred points can not be used until all the banked and borrowed points of your own contracts are used first, And, it has to be checked ahead of your own contracts in the order for it to use those current points over your own current points."

Sandisw, does that still apply when calling to book?

Yes. You have to use all your restricted points first. Then you can decide which current points to use…your own or the transferred ones.

The only exception to this is when the transferred points are for a different home resort and you are booking in the home resort priority period. Then it uses the transferred points.

Now, if you have banked points you want to save and use transferred points, then you need to book a dummy reservation more than 31 days out to hold those banked points, book with the transferred ones, then cancel the fake one with the banked points.

MS can’t override the order of using your own restricted points first. What they can do is use some transferred points and some of your own points at the same time…which we can not do online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter