• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Point renters

ThunderMountain

Earning My Ears
I'm seeing more and more information on social media in regards to renting dvc points to non members. As a member I find it frustrating that resorts are getting booked up by people renting points. Can anything be done to stop the commercial renters from renting points until after the 7 month booking window. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against being able to rent out your points, I just think memebers should get first priority to the 7 month booking window.

I'm seeing more and more information on social media in regards to renting dvc points to non members. As a member I find it frustrating that resorts are getting booked up by people renting points. Can anything be done to stop the commercial renters from renting points until after the 7 month booking window. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against being able to rent out your points, I just think memebers should get first priority to the 7 month booking window.
Basically, members who rent are members. They can use their points at their home resort at 11 months and other resorts at 7 months just like everybody else. There are rules against a member making this a business, but otherwise, they can rent out their points if they like.

Members always get the 11-month priority window when booking their home resort. The renters are merely renting those reservations with home resort advantage. I personally don't see any problem with that. You made a decision to purchase at whatever home resort and that's where you get your priority. Why complain about the lack of availability else where at 7 months since that's to be expected, IMHO?

LAX

Booking at your home resort was all that was guaranteed when you bought and even that is based on availability.

Renting was also expressly noted as being allowed in the contracts.

What you are talking about more or less is owners booking rooms only for themselves at 7 months and then some later time to be able to book for others. And when an owner wants more than one room? Is using it for their family so they themselves are not in all the rooms booked or perhaps not going at all but family is staying in the room? It's just not a possibility to restrict in the manner you are speaking about nor was it ever implied it would be restricted in the contracts.

Last edited:

IMHO I believe DVC needs to do something to make it more difficult for people to rent their points to commercial rental company's. In years to come Pandora, Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land will be opening and that will bring a flood of new guests to WDW. If they do not do something it will become more and more difficult to experience your investment to its fullest.

I just rented out a bunch of points for 4 separate rental reservations. What is the difference in me renting out the points as opposed to my family using the points for 4 separate reservations? Nothing. I am not going to let the points go to waste, so they will be used by me or by someone renting my points. I am entitled to use my points either for my family and friends, or to be used by renters.

The increased interest in renting points will increase prices, thus increasing the value of your purchase of DVC contract. It's a double edged sword, just forces owners to make plans in the 11 month window.

IMHO I believe DVC needs to do something to make it more difficult for people to rent their points to commercial rental company's. In years to come Pandora, Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land will be opening and that will bring a flood of new guests to WDW. If they do not do something it will become more and more difficult to experience your investment to its fullest.
I don't understand this logic. Every DVC resort had a finite number of points which were sold. It won't matter if someone uses their points to book a villa for themselves or for a friend or for a renter. It's expected that they're going to use their points. Every owner has the same advantage at their home resort at 11 months. Everyone has the same opportunity to book a non-home resort at 7 months. You are not at any greater disadvantage just because a member decides to rent their points to someone rather than stay in that villa themselves. I'm having difficulty in understanding how this makes it more difficult for you to experience your investment to its fullest? Would you care to elaborate in order to make your point clearer?

I think in past years a lot of owners didn't know they could rent out their points or where to do it, like renting on disboards..... Probably a lot of points went unused, we bought two resale contracts fully loaded, and I'm guessing that if the previous owners hadn't sold their contracts they wouldn't have used their points.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. As I said in my first post, I have nothing against members renting their points. I just think if people are renting points from a commercial site they shouldn't be able to have the advantage of booking early like a regular memeber. Just like you can book your home resort at 11 months is an advantage to you. The commercial sites should have to wait to book until some point after the 7 month window. I'm not sure why anyone would be against that. It's a win win for everyone except the people renting the points.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. As I said in my first post, I have nothing against members renting their points. I just think if people are renting points from a commercial site they shouldn't be able to have the advantage of booking early like a regular memeber. Just like you can book your home resort at 11 months is an advantage to you. The commercial sites should have to wait to book until some point after the 7 month window. I'm not sure why anyone would be against that. It's a win win for everyone except the people renting the points.
Commercially renting resrvations is not permitted by DVC. The websites that you're calling commercial websites are only acting as a middle man between the DVC owner and the renter. The reservations are made by the owner on behalf of the renter. The middle man collects the payment, keeps a portion and pays the owner. The company does not own the points and does not make any actual reservations. There's no way for DVC to determine whether an owner is making the reservation for a family member or for someone using a rental service. I don't know how they could enforce the kind of restriction you want to see placed on rented reservations.

Yes, I understand all of that. Therein lies the problem......
This is fun, wait until you guys hear my thoughts on the haunted mansion.
Have a great night.

Just wait till you want to go somewhere else other than WDW and want to rent out your points to differ the cost of that vacation......

I don't understand this logic. Every DVC resort had a finite number of points which were sold. It won't matter if someone uses their points to book a villa for themselves or for a friend or for a renter. It's expected that they're going to use their points...
But it's assumed that point usage will be spread throughout the year. I think the increase in renting has magnified the demand at popular times & will continue to do so unless there's another economic downturn & Disney aggressively discounts room rates to compete w/ rentals, or DVC tinkers w/ demand by adjusting the points required in various seasons.

But it's assumed that point usage will be spread throughout the year. I think the increase in renting has magnified the demand at popular times & will continue to do so unless there's another economic downturn & Disney aggressively discounts room rates to compete w/ rentals, or DVC tinkers w/ demand by adjusting the points required in various seasons.

Still, OP is talking about booking at 7 months and wanting an exclusive window for that.

It doesn't really matter how many new attractions that comes in the future. The total amount of points stays the same. I do however understand you concern, if most members continues to book i.e. Oct-dec, and also new upcoming members do the same then it will be more difficult to book those dates. OTOH it will be easier to book during other times.

Owning a timeshare has always been about planning and booking in due time. Don't wait until 3 months out, then you won't get anything, at least not DVC.

I don't understand this logic. Every DVC resort had a finite number of points which were sold. It won't matter if someone uses their points to book a villa for themselves or for a friend or for a renter. It's expected that they're going to use their points. Every owner has the same advantage at their home resort at 11 months. Everyone has the same opportunity to book a non-home resort at 7 months. You are not at any greater disadvantage just because a member decides to rent their points to someone rather than stay in that villa themselves. I'm having difficulty in understanding how this makes it more difficult for you to experience your investment to its fullest? Would you care to elaborate in order to make your point clearer?

My point exactly.

Just wait till you want to go somewhere else other than WDW and want to rent out your points to differ the cost of that vacation......

Exactly. I don't expect to go to wdw in 2018, so I will put up my points for rent at some point or maybe book a "Hard to get" reservation. My points are definitely not going to waste.

I get what you are saying, but it's not possible. If I wish to rent my points, book for family etc why shouldn't I be able to do so at 11 months out?

If commercial renters you mean the rental sites, as others has pointed out they are only middlemen, it's members as you and I who makes the bookings.

One way that DVC could maybe limit the rental part a bit, is to enforce a new fee for rentals i.e. A guest certificate or charge a resort fee for non owners staying, just like the inbound RCI exchanges where guests are paying 195$ for a week.

But it's assumed that point usage will be spread throughout the year. I think the increase in renting has magnified the demand at popular times

The point structure at various resorts has different "seasons" where points are higher in some times (usually corresponding to busier park times) and lower at other times. This is done to encourage full usage of the resort at all times during the year.

While demand for renting points may be magnified at popular times DVC still can't make more units available than actually exist. Since they plan on all units being occupied during the entire year there is no crowd impact, only a potential price impact on those that do rent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter