Podcast Info on Golf-Cawt GPS

ChelleinNC

Say "Hi" to Art the Greeter for me!
Hey all,
Just finished listening while I mowed the lawn (my weekly ritual). I am a little confused regarding the GPS announcement for WDW Golf.

I know that Palm and Magnolia have had the GPS systems for over a year now. I have this info first hand as I used it last year at Magnolia. Eagle Pines had it in June when we were just there. The system WDW put in is one of the better ones.

A couple of notes on these-
-- Julie- they are not just for beginners. Bob is dead on regarding players not being familiar with the course. Some the holes are tough to decipher which club to play and where the best area to aim is. The GPS aids the golfer in determining distances and visualizing the hole.

-- All- The GPS does more than just tell you the distance to the hole. It also gives information on distances to water hazards and sand traps, along with distance to clear them. The system has information on pin position on the green (mainly for better players that are aiming for more specific target areas). This information (along with more) enhances the playing experience by helping you play better.

-- My favorite feature, which I had never seen at other courses, was the ability to see where other golfers are. You can look at the screen and see where and how far the others golfers ahead of you on the hole are. There are several blind spots on the course where you could accidentally hit into the group in front of you. Nice safety feature.

-- The carts also "know" when they are too close to the green. The cart will stop and force you to back up if you get too close to areas you should not be driving on.

-- Finally, for resort/cart golf, these GPS systems help maintain the pace of play. This above all helps keep the experience a happy, magical one.

So, while I do not understand why it is "news", this is a big improvement for WDW Golf.

Chelle's DH, Jon

Looking forward to the rebuilt LBV in December

Um, daddy, you spelled 'kaht' wrong.
I was confused at first by the term 'daddy'. Then I saw your past trips matched perfectly with the OP, and I can only figure he really is your dad. That's pretty funny. :lmao:

Anyway, I agree with 'dad'. One of the most important aspects of golfing is knowing your yardage. If you were to ever watch a PGA tour event, watch when the caddy and the golfer are mulling over a shot. I guarantee they are mulling over which club to use as the yardage probably puts them between two clubs. I also guarantee the caddy has a notebook that he is flipping through to try to calculate the yardages to the front of the green, the back of the green, and to the flagstick itself.

Basically, golfers gauge which club to use based on many different factors, the most important of which is the yardage. Having the yardage given to you right from the cart not only helps your game, it also speeds up play as you don't have to find the nearest yardage marker and walk it off to find your estimated yardage to the center of the green.

Man, I just got way too long winded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter