plyboard under daybed mattress?

HOGFAN

DIS Veteran
of course the saleslady was trying to sell me something called a 'bunko' board for extra support. seems to me plyboard would suit the same purpose, much cheaper too.

any input?

We just bought a used loft bed and the people we bought it from had slabs of plywood underneath the mattress to give better support. Works just fine. :thumbsup2

HOGFAN said:
of course the saleslady was trying to sell me something called a 'bunko' board for extra support. seems to me plyboard would suit the same purpose, much cheaper too.

any input?

We did buy the BUNKO board and it is all padded as well....it is just NOT a piece of plywood. My DS' are 24&20 so this was many years but we absolutely were very glad we had the BUNKO board. Look at it first. It should all be padded as well as a board. As I remember it was MUCH thicker than a piece of plywood. (Good for any weighty issues as well)!!! I do not remember it being very $$$! :goodvibes

ETA: No need to go to the hardware store, buy the wood, measure it and cut it....so easy to just have it delivered with the bed!! :thumbsup2

We put some plywood under dd's trundle bed. It came with wood slats and they broke that in a week.

We have a bunko board on DD's bed in place of a box spring. She's small for her age and it's easier for her to get up into bed this way. It's more than just a piece of plywood. It has some kind of rim around it and is covered in fabric. Personally it been worth the $35.

CEDmom said:
We have a bunko board on DD's bed in place of a box spring. She's small for her age and it's easier for her to get up into bed this way. It's more than just a piece of plywood. It has some kind of rim around it and is covered in fabric. Personally it been worth the $35.

ITA :thumbsup2

We had/have them too. Now they are older and the bunks are used as twins. These boards went a long long way!

Our salesman called it a "bunky" board. Huh. He must've got that wrong. Anyway, we got the bed and desk for an extremely low closeout price for our son 7 years ago and it's still going strong. I've even slept on it a few times and it's really comfy. Makes kind of racket when you turn over though.

I don't know about a day bed, but we had plywood under the bunkbeds for ever.

they're called bunky boards around here too. I never heard them used in daybeds, but they are always used on bunk beds.

I guess plywood might be an OK substitute, but not the really skinny kind, it would have to be the thick kind so it wouldn't bend or break with use.

I know I just couldn't skimp on something that my baby is going to be sleeping on so high up (top bunk). I think it was only about 60-80 dollars for the bunky board. If it was just for a daybed, I guess it wouldn't be as important.

DS has a bunk bed and the board came with it. It is padded and was instead of a box spring. He has had it for 12 years and it has not worn out. :thumbsup2

HOGFAN said:

any input?

Hogfan: I know I have posted on here already...but I do not think you will get the support from a piece of plywood like you will from the bunky board. Plywood can be so thin and basically not designed for a bed support.

Remember this is your child's back and I would get as much support as possible for his/her bed. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter