Please tell me about Disney's Old Key West resort

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
As I've already told all you awesome Disers a hundred times, I'm staying at All Star Sports for my first trip ever to WDW in June. But until then, I'm pretending that I'm going to stay at a deluxe resort. :rolleyes: At the same time, it's never too early to start planning my NEXT trip there, whenever that may be. Some day I'll stay deluxe. :flower:I looked at photos of Key West and it looks gorgeous. The rooms look really nice and comfortable. I'd love to hear more about this resort, what your likes and dislikes of it are. Thanks!

We stayed in a 2 br villa with 7 people and really enjoyed it. The villa was huge. It had a full kitchen and we made a nice breakfast every morning. The buses were good and I don't think we ever waited more than 10 minutes for one. The buses made multiple stops which was similar to the buses at a moderate resort. And the food options were limited. But all in all we regard OKW as one of our favorite places to stay.

Our first family stay was at OKW on points gifted to us by a family member. We absolutely loved it. We had a 1 bedroom. There was so much space, not to mention a full kitchen and laundry room. Our DD was 4 at the time and loved the main pool and the water slide. The boat to DS was so convenient and Olivia's is our favorite hidden gem. The only cons we had are the size of the resort made for long bus rides and there really aren't good quick service options. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Our first family stay was at OKW on points gifted to us by a family member. We absolutely loved it. We had a 1 bedroom. There was so much space, not to mention a full kitchen and laundry room. Our DD was 4 at the time and loved the main pool and the water slide. The boat to DS was so convenient and Olivia's is our favorite hidden gem. The only cons we had are the size of the resort made for long bus rides and there really aren't good quick service options. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

You and the PP mentioned something about the bus rides. What makes them so long? Multiple stops??

When we stayed at OKW, we experienced long waits for buses. We went to the stop at the end of the loop so we wouldn't ride through the entire resort, but we wound up waiting anywhere from 15-30 minutes for a bus. That plus the fact that our room was not clean when we checked in lead us to say that we probably wouldn't stay there again. It's a shame because the rooms are good sizes and the resort is beautiful.

If you really want that Florida feel, OKW is for you! I love the grounds, foliage, and the pool area. For me, that boat ride to Disney Springs is so beautiful! This resort is for those on a slower pace, in my opinion. If you are doing commando style park touring, then you might be happier being at another resort closer to the parks, or on the monorail loop. But if you want relaxation (LOVE the wonderful deck off of our 2BR!) OKW is the way to go!

I think of OKW as the lower end of the deluxe resorts, it is the oldest of the DVC resorts and the rooms are bigger. I stayed in a studio, which had two beds which is rare for a studio. They have huge decks/porches which are nice in the morning just to relax. I was in a unit on the main road right across from the main pool/check in area so it was very convenient, not sure I'd stay anywhere else on property since, as others have mentioned, you have to ride the bus all the way around the resort. What I did was sit on my balcony in the morning with my coffee, my stop was one building away so when I saw the bus for the park I wanted stopping at my stop, I'd gather my stuff and leisurely stroll over to the lobby stop, which is the last stop. That way I didn't have to ride the bus all the way around the resort. Coming back from the parks it was the first stop so easy. Not many QS options there, which didn't bother me too much as I tend to not eat at the resort but I do eat breakfast. There was a little area at the main pool where you could get limited breakfast so I'd walk over there in the morning and grab something and take it back to my room. I didn't use the pool because it was raining the whole time I was there. It's my least favorite of the deluxe resorts but if my choices were a value or OKW, OKW would win hands down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter