Please help me be "happy" about SSR

Wendybird55

DIS Veteran
Hi,
Recently booked a trip for Dec 1 -8..DH and DS have never been to WDW during Christmas season and it's been over 13 years since I've been during that time. Found great airfare for that week so booked it...Right now we have a 1 bedroom preferred at SSR..That's what was available. Our favorite is BWV and we are wait listed for 1 bedroom garden view and 1 bedroom boardwalk view...
So, here's the hitch..we know the quality of DVC rooms is good...I'm sure size, layout, decor, etc of SSR will be very nice and we will be comfortable, however as far as we're concerned it's all about location, location, location..we love BWV because of easy access to DHS and EPCOT...you can walk to 2 other resorts plus Swan and Dolphin..lots of good restaurant nearby, easy to get to Fantasia mini golf, we can take fishING trip from YC pier..and so on...Since we've been to WDW so many times we enjoy convenience and a less hectic pace and BWV works for us.
I know (and hope) our waitlist may come thru..it has before..but if not and since it's getting closer to booking adrs and such can someone please point out the benefits of staying at SSR...we've never stayed here and maybe there are benefits I'm unaware of. I know no matter where we stay we'll have a good time, but it would be nice to be excited or happy about our current resort choice.
Thanks

Location - you are a short walk from Disney Springs! I LOVE SSR. It was so peaceful, so beautiful! Our resort day was wonderful with the quick access to DS. I cannot wait to go back.

I was at SSR during my January stay and I used the walkaway to DS every day. There are so many great restaurants there now that it easily surpasses Epcot on the food quality and variety. Have a look at the reviews and see what entices you. I loved Morimoto Asia and would really reccommend it.
The SSR walkaway is useful also to transfer from another resort. I went to AKL one night for my mandatory dinner at Boma and to go back to the hotel I catched a bus to DS and walked ten minutes to my room. So convenient.
I found the shops area underwelming, though, but YMMV.

Ssr is lovely and has pretty grounds. Disney springs is close by.

Recently booked a trip for Dec 1 -8

Have you been during that time? I'm sure most of the time it's nice but our trip in that time period was in 2010 and involved an extreme cold snap. Which meant that the following....

we love BWV because of easy access to DHS and EPCOT...you can walk to 2 other resorts plus Swan and Dolphin..lots of good restaurant nearby, easy to get to Fantasia mini golf, we can take fishING trip from YC pier.

....weren't things you would want to do or would want to walk to. :)

If you really want those things, increase the budget for a rental car or taxi/uber/lyft and just head on over to your comfort zone.

Short walk to Disney Springs - from there you can take a bus directly to every resort. Great time to try some of the wonderful restaurants at the resorts! Many of them offer DVC or AP discounts and aren't too difficult to get a reservation. Plan some time to visit those resorts to see the decorations.

There are Holiday events at Disney Springs.

Keep telling yourself how fortunate you were to even get a reservation for that week. :)

Hope your waitlist works!

We own at both resorts and initially preferred BWV over SSR due to location as well. But now we prefer Saratoga. It is such a lovely, relaxing resort. Also, imho SSR is just in better shape than BWV. We just had a split stay in Oct at both places beginning at BWV. We were underwhelmed with the renovations; our villa was cheaply finished and did not feel "refreshed." I think they have issues with training their mousekeeping there. We were so glad to change to our SSR villa. It was beautiful, clean and felt much more upscale. Have fun at SSR. Ask for the appropriate area for your needs. (We love the Paddock area.)

Every time I don't stay at SSR I wish I had. It seems like SSR buses are constantly available and it's such a peaceful and beautiful resort. You are in for a pleasant surprise!

Hi,
Recently booked a trip for Dec 1 -8..DH and DS have never been to WDW during Christmas season and it's been over 13 years since I've been during that time. Found great airfare for that week so booked it...Right now we have a 1 bedroom preferred at SSR..That's what was available. Our favorite is BWV and we are wait listed for 1 bedroom garden view and 1 bedroom boardwalk view...
So, here's the hitch..we know the quality of DVC rooms is good...I'm sure size, layout, decor, etc of SSR will be very nice and we will be comfortable, however as far as we're concerned it's all about location, location, location..we love BWV because of easy access to DHS and EPCOT...you can walk to 2 other resorts plus Swan and Dolphin..lots of good restaurant nearby, easy to get to Fantasia mini golf, we can take fishING trip from YC pier..and so on...Since we've been to WDW so many times we enjoy convenience and a less hectic pace and BWV works for us.
I know (and hope) our waitlist may come thru..it has before..but if not and since it's getting closer to booking adrs and such can someone please point out the benefits of staying at SSR...we've never stayed here and maybe there are benefits I'm unaware of. I know no matter where we stay we'll have a good time, but it would be nice to be excited or happy about our current resort choice.
Thanks
It'll be good to try something else and SSR is a fine resort. You'll be at WDW either way, life's good.

We own at BLT. Our very first stay in a DVC resort was Saratoga Springs. We absolutely loved it! I look forward to staying there again. I honestly believe you will love it too.

We own at BLT and SSR - but we vastly prefer staying at SSR. Disney Springs is now really something else. So much more to do and see there than at Boardwalk. We also like to a lot of stuff off property, and it's so much easier to get to the outlet malls, etc.

I have always hated the parking at Boardwalk. A long, long walk or really bad valet parking. One time staying at BWI I almost missed my flight as it took them 45 minutes to retrieve my car. And that was at 9 in the morning.

Thanks for the input...We usually go to park in morning and then head back to resort mid afternoon for rest then head out to EPCOT for dinner and evening in WS so for the trip maybe I'll do a couple of dinners and evening at DS..
I've been to WDW late Nov and Feb so I'm familiar hatm with weather and though we enjoy mini-golf and fishing excursions this trip is all about the holidays..MVMCP, CP, enjoying the decorations etc. Plus a CM told me theres a DVD Moonlight madness event are EPCOT Dec 4 and we'll be there...We fly and use disNeyland transportation..we did rent cat one year cause we went to Universal and I know what you mean about parking at BWV...lots of walking...As was said, we'll be at Disney so how can it be bad?!?! Again, just trying to get it the SSR mood so I can plan adrs based on staying there...thanks!

Last year for Christmas there was a spectacle of dancing lights with drones. It was a small but cool thing. You can watch it from SSR too and even from your room if you get the right view.

My husband and I just got back from our first ever stay at SSR. Granted we were without the kids and it was a short stay, but I loved it! Our view of the water and Disney Springs was one of the most enjoyable views I've had at WDW. (We were in the preferred section). Ironically our first ever adult only stay was at BWV three years ago, and it was my least favorite of the DVC resorts. I think it may have had something to do with room assignment and placement, but then again any time at WDW is a gift!

SSR is a beautiful and peaceful resort. (This coming from someone who owns at VGF , which is actually my favorite). And with the new additions to Disney Springs just a stones throw away from SSR , it is a food lovers paradise.

When we were in a hurry toget to a reservation somewhere other than Disney Springs, we simply used Uber, and that worked out great! Easy. Otherwise we took the bus and it was also easy and uneventful. I made use of the spa, which I have never done before and that was a real treat. You mentioned fishing. We observed boat fishing in the mornings on the water there at Disney Springs.

I'm sure there will be fun and decorative stuff going on there at Christmastime at the resort and Disney Springs too. I would take this opportunity to try something new and make some ADRs that you wouldn't normally make when staying all the way over at the Boardwalk. Enjoy!

Walking distance to Disney Springs, much, much better CS, not 1, but 2 good pools.

I really want OKW for the space (party of 7) but there are plenty of advantages to our current reservation at SSR. I'm excited. We're planning to do a LOT of meals in Disney Springs this time :)

Lots of good suggestions and informtion...thanks! We have a preferred room so I am assuming it's closer to main house and walkway and such..Maybe I can convince son to try cirque during soleil..I've seen it a few times already and every time DH and I suggest it to him he doesn't want to go..

Lots of good suggestions and informtion...thanks! We have a preferred room so I am assuming it's closer to main house and walkway and such..Maybe I can convince son to try cirque during soleil..I've seen it a few times already and every time DH and I suggest it to him he doesn't want to go..

In a preferred room you will either be in the Springs section, which is close to the lobby and quick service and main pool OR you will be in Congress Park , which is the closest to Disney Springs, and has its own quite pool. Our building in Congress Park was the closest to the walkway to Disney Springs and it was actually closer in the mornings to head to the quick service breakfast at Wolfgang Puck Express than it was to head to Artists Palette quick service at the resort. (Tip: Wolfgang Puck express opens at 9, and the breakfast pizza is delicious).
You are golden either way , as the preferred buildings are the most desirable.

The Cirque du Soleil show is a great idea since after December, it will be no more. I wish I could have fit it in!

First, have you split your week for the waitlist? Like book SSR as 3 nights and 4 nights in two resides and then waitlist. It is easier to fill a waitlist that is less days.

We have had to stay at SSR a bunch on recent trips. We find things to love. First we stayed in Congress Park section and loved to quick walk over to DS. It is also very quiet and we had a great view off our balcony at night of the lit up DS. Another time we stayed in Paddock right by the pool. What we liked there is the pool has a food/drink counter and the walk over to the main building wasn't bad. It was also very quiet. And a tip we did was drive our car over and park in Congress Park to walk over to DS for late meal/drinks at Rainforest Café.

First, have you split your week for the waitlist? Like book SSR as 3 nights and 4 nights in two resides and then waitlist. It is easier to fill a waitlist that is less days.

We have had to stay at SSR a bunch on recent trips. We find things to love. First we stayed in Congress Park section and loved to quick walk over to DS. It is also very quiet and we had a great view off our balcony at night of the lit up DS. Another time we stayed in Paddock right by the pool. What we liked there is the pool has a food/drink counter and the walk over to the main building wasn't bad. It was also very quiet. And a tip we did was drive our car over and park in Congress Park to walk over to DS for late meal/drinks at Rainforest Café.

It's not worth doing a split stay as at the most BWV had 2 consecutive nights in middle of our stay..My 7 month day was 5/1 and we're staying 7 nights...on that day WL Copper Creek had 6 of my 7 nights unfortunately the one night they didn't have was the 1st. I already had SSR booked as that's my firends home resort (they transferred theory points to me as they don't use them) and I found great airfare before 7 month mark and didn't want to lose it so I booked SSR so I knew I had someplace to stay before I booked airfare. So when I hit 7 month I wanted to keep 1st night at SSR and book CROPPER Creek for other 6 nights but was told I couldn't because tech iCarly it wasn't 7 month mark if I wanted to book Dec 2 at CCA on Dec 1. The CM told me to waitlist CC for Dec 1 and call back next day to book CC for the Dec 2 on..based on want she saw on computer she felt there was a good chance those 6 nights would still be available. Well on the 2nd only 5 nights were available beginNing Dec 3 so it was like I was chasing a carrot on a stick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter