Playing basket ball on the Wonder

LMCmom25kids

Mouseketeer
My 14 yr old son really wants to play basket ball on our up coming cruise. He also wants to bring his own basket ball because he is worried about there not being enough available or the balls not being inflated properly. I am trying to discourage him from bringing a huge basket ball all the way from Michigan.... Uuuggghhh..... Could anyone tell us about their experience with playing bb while on the Wonder please? Are there plenty of b balls to go around? Were they all inflated properly? Thanks! :cutie:

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to bring sports equipment on the ship with you. He'll have to make due with what they provide. Depending on the time of day, and if there aren't organized Kid's club activities on the court, he shouldn't have any trouble getting a ball to use.

I think basketballs are just like water. If it can get stored in the luggage no one is going to bother you. I didn't hear you couldn't take basketballs aboard because I took one aboard my last two trips on the Wonder and the Magic.The basketballs on the ship are pretty well worn out.I also took two basketballs aboard the FOTS in leather bags and no one said anything about it. My grandson spends a lot of his time at the basketball courts on all ships.

I am also planning on letting my boys bring their own basketball on our next cruise, they played lots on our last cruise and this way I don't feel they are hogging the ball, my boys are also really good about inviting other kids to join in with them so they don't hog their own ball, they like to get a game going. I don't think anyone will stop you from bringing it on the ship. It also states in your cruise documents that no coolers or beverages are allowed to be brought on board and disney over looks that.

There are usually around 5 or 6 basketballs on the court and they are all inflated well in my opinion. I'm an avid b baller and they meet my standards. But if he wants I think he can bring it in his carry on.

I stand corrected, only certain sports stuff is not permitted. It appears that if you wanted to pack them, you can bring basketballs on board.

Answer
The following recreational equipment is neither permitted on board nor on Castaway Cay:

Wagons
Segways
Musical instruments
Scuba gear air tanks and dive knives
Fishing rods/poles
Inline skates or wheeled shoes
Skateboards
Surfboards/wave boards
Inflatable floats/pools
Bikes
Kites

There are 5 or 6 basketballs provided as stated above 24 hours a day and they take great care of them. All of the sports type equipment provided by DCL is in great shape and well maintained so you should have no problem.

I have seen basketballs that are pretty smooth. There is a difference in a basketball used for a long while and almost 24 hours a day compared to a basketball that is comparatively new and have the impressions in it. I took basketballs on the 2nd and 3rd cruise because the basketballs on the first cruise were just about shot. I usually take at least one basketball on every cruise, not just DCL, now because no one seems to keep real good basketballs on the courts.

Thanks for the replies so far! Problem solved....my husband said he will deflate my son's BB and bring along a small pump. Thanks again! :cutie:

There were plenty of basketballs. We brought baseballs and our gloves to play catch on the sports deck. We were the only ones there during Early Seating dinner (we had late seating).
I might add, there is NOTHING like playing basketball in rough seas, you start your shot and the basket is uphill, and by the time it gets there, the basket is downhill from you. Just be careful, my spirited game with my then 20 year old son cost me $500 for a new pair of prescription eyeglasses destroyed in the game. 3 years later, I still try and make him feel guilty about that....and 3 years later he still thinks it's the funniest thing ever.
KIDS!:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter