Planning with tweens - ideas???

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
This Aug we will be visiting WDW for 9 nights with our 8 & 10 year old daughters for the first time since 2017. What feels different this time is they have simply matured fast. We have been going to WDW, Disneyland and Cruises since the oldest was just 5 months old.

We would like to make sure that we keep the
magic alive and have the trip feel familiar, but new at the same time.

Does anyone have tips, tours, extras that are really worth it to bring another aspect of WDW to the enjoyment of the kiddos aside from meeting characters and riding rides? That’s the familiar part I don’t want to wear out...

My first trip was at 12 and I loved seeing all the live acts in Epcot at that age and being allowed a little bit of freedom. At your kids ages my sister and I were walking to a mall near our grandma's apartment so I'd be fine letting them shop alone in a store while you waited outside or similar - that little bit of freedom can really make a trip magical for tweens in my opinion anyway.

The AK tours are fun and they have varying time lengths and price points. We did Caring for Giants last year with 10, 12, 17 y.o. and they all enjoyed it.

My DS is 11 and has been going to WDW yearly since he was 1. At this point, he has zero interest in meeting the characters. He really enjoys the following: pool time, the water parks (particularly BB followed by a round of mini-golf at WinterSummerland), evenings on the Boardwalk, HDDR (you could pair this with a visit to the WDW stables and even a wagon ride at Ft. W), nice dinners (he loves Cali Grill and the view from the observation decks), all of the interactive things in the parks (the Pirate Adventure, Sorcerers, Wilderness Explorers, Kidcot). Unfortunately your 8-year old is too young for the Void in DS (which is amazing!), but he enjoys Splitsville and Characters in Flight followed by a nice dinner in DS. We also did Wild Africa Trek right after he turned 8 and he loved it!

Don't be surprised if at least one of the children has lost interest in dressing up in Disney costumes and character meals. It's not something to be sad about as it just shows that their minds are ready to be stimulated in a new manner. Take the money you would have spent on the special clothing and overpriced character meals and devote it towards experiences more in keeping with their new interests like horseback riding, fishing,...well you know your children best:).

Get them involved in planning the trip so they'll better understand the logistics of having fun and could well apply what they learned to other aspects of their lives. Don't forget to let them help you figure out the ever popular cost differentials of the dining plan vs OOP; they'll be less afraid of math and realize it actually has a use for life.

Last edited:
Ask them!

As a 13 year old I'm very interested in everything Disney, from M&Gs, shows, rides, parades, spectaculars, food, etc. But everyone's different! I'd suggest including them in planning your trip, at least the 10 year old (not sure about the maturity of the 8 year old).

Ask them. When my DD was 13 she wanted to meet all of the princesses. So I prioritized princess meet and greets for the girls. My DS at 13 does not care about characters at all. He just wants to eat.

My 11 year old loved the pick a pearl experience at Epcot's Japan pavilion. We had our pearls made into jewelry there and now they have a nice memory and souvenir. Epcot has become a new favorite park because there's so much more to learn and see the older the kids get. She also still loves Cinderella's Royal table just because it feels special (not for the princesses).This year, because our girls are older, we are considering the Animal Kingdom nighttime VIP tour. We have done Early Morning Magic and that was a blast but it's not being offered when we go so exploring at night is the direction we plan to take on this next trip.

Last August my granddaughter (12) requested the Halloween party (white rabbit cosstume) with trick or treating. Staying late at MK for the kiss goodnight. This year's requests, hot air balloon at Disney Springs, mini golf and a water park. We will definitely do kiss goodnight again!!

Maybe try Disney a bit differently... sleep in and stay out late, do an after hours or a fireworks dessert party.

We have been going back and forth on DAH, but the cost of nearly $600 for the 4 of us when we already have 9 day hopper passes makes it hard to justify...

Its hard when we dont know there likes, my younger boys are 9 and 12 so I know how you feel they grow up so fast. We have been going every year so this last year we changed it up we didnt go to Disney as long as normal and we went to Universal a few days. But This last year I let them help in the planning, My then 8 year old helped pick out the designs for our shirts, and my 12 year old helped pick out where to eat and anywhere we could go. They were so proud of the trip "they planned" My 12 year old went online looked up reviews and pics. They also had input into what day we go where. They loved staying out late at Disney Springs seeing live shows going for late night swims. you know at this age they just want to be big.

I let my kids do the Agent P missions in Epcot on their own at 12, 12, and 7. My husband and I enjoyed drinks at the country entrance while they did the missions, and we moved from country to country as a family.

I ask my kids constantly about what they want to do each trip. They like the bigger rides now and Food and Wine festival.

At those ages, I wouldn't let them walk around alone, personally. But they could certainly do some rides alone while you wait nearby. Can they do some planning? Look at park days, pool time, fast passes, dining reservations, etc for a couple of days that they could plan for the family? Are they kids who would like that ( mine wouldn't- he likes to have input on his must-do's but doesn't like to make most decisions). Plan for a couple of later nights, maybe a surprise gift card and a trip to DS?

Well at ages 5 and 7 my daughter was interested in everything princess. When we went again at age 12 she still loved it but her favorite park had become Epcot. She will spend 2 full days at Epcot shopping and loves it. Now we still had to have breakfast at Trattoria so she could get her Rapunzel fix. At 18 she still loves those M&G's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter