Planning help for my Mom in her mid-60's

DMLAINI

DIS Veteran
We're planning a Universal/IOA trip for 6/18. Any tips would be helpful as I haven't been there for 20 yrs. My main question is, what rides/attractions should be good for my Mom to ride (she's in her mid-60's & wants to ride as much as possible & likes Harry Potter)? I can tell you what she rides at Disney-she has ridden &D Mine train & didn't really like the drops. She didn't like how rough BTMRR was. She enjoyed Dinosaur & Star Tours. She also loved Test Track & Soarin'. Thank You!!

I am 66 and visited Universal Orlando over Presidents' Day weekend (we were also at Disney for two days prior to Universal). I have always enjoyed a good roller coaster. When I was younger, I would go on just about anything. These days, I have to be more careful. I have a heart condition and suffer from motion sickness on many of the simulated rides. I couldn't do too much at Universal. I rode Spider-Man, ET, Men in Black, Hogwarts Express and Jimmy Fallon (which made me a little nauseated). I couldn't do either of the Harry Potter rides. I can do more rides at Disney than at Universal, for sure. We had a great time, but I spent a lot of time waiting for my family. Fortunately, we were staying at RPR and had Express Passes. My adult son thought the WWOHP was awesome.

Hi in IOA-Hulk,Storm Acceleration, Dr. Doom would not be good. Forbidden Journey could go either way. My DD and I can't ride Forbidden Journey for motion sickness and claustrophobia but my DD's BF and DH can. I would probably suggest to try and watch any you tubes on that one to get an idea.
In studios-Rip Ride Rocket and there's a chance she wouldn't like Mummy. It's a small indoor coaster but is pretty fast and can whip you a bit. I would suggest a video on that one too. The Simpsons is a simulated ride and it it one of the few that can make me motion sick. I think she will be fine on Gringotts. MIB is really cool but if your car you are in gets hit with the laser it can spin a lot. I got very dizzy on that one.

I know only your mom can make the decision but I wanted to give you some rides to think about.

I am sure she will have a great time.

My father in law (66) rode forbidden journey and loved it. She will for sure like ET and the simulated rides. There is a super short drop at the beginning of Escape from Gringotts (i would think shorter then Mine train) but rest of the ride is beautiful.

Hogwarts Express both ways is a must.

Jurassic Park has a big drop, but is iconic.

I have done rides with many people older than your mom

None had health issues to restrict them for rides

Since your mom did not like the drop
On the Disney coaster, maybe don’t do the coaster rides at uo then

Or check out YouTube and have her decide what coaster rides are a yay or nay for her

Read up about the rides at
Universalorlando.com

Since she liked test track, dinosaur and star tours, she should be fine at uo
I find them either fast moving or jarring but still do them

Whatever you two decide, have fun on your vacation

Make sweet memories with mom!

We're planning a Universal/IOA trip for 6/18. Any tips would be helpful as I haven't been there for 20 yrs. My main question is, what rides/attractions should be good for my Mom to ride (she's in her mid-60's & wants to ride as much as possible & likes Harry Potter)? I can tell you what she rides at Disney-she has ridden &D Mine train & didn't really like the drops. She didn't like how rough BTMRR was. She enjoyed Dinosaur & Star Tours. She also loved Test Track & Soarin'. Thank You!!

Surprised reading your list that Dinosaur didn’t make the list, it is quite the bumpy ride.

Since mom not a fan of the drops, would probably rule out both HP attractions. If anything, i’d Suggest trying the Studios version first.

As long as Mom is active & healthy, being in her 60’s doesn’t preclude her being more active than a sedentary 20 year old in the parks:teeth:

Google some ride-thrus & have a great trip!

If she liked Star Tours, the Spiderman ride is a marvel. Don't tell Disney but this is my favorite simulator ride ever. I also did Simpsons and enjoyed it but I thought it tossed you around a bit more than Spiderman. Forbidden Journey simulates flying with Harry on a broomstick. It's very cool, gives you a cool floating experience in many parts and a fast speedy experience in others. If she is prone to motion sickness she may want to pass. I haven't experienced escape from Gringotts or the new King Kong so I can't speak to those. If she likes the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disney then she'll like Men in Black too. ET is cute and a must do. So much fun stuff to experience.

At 65 I find that a Dramamine in the morning gets me through most all of the rides. I have got queasy on the Mummy, the Simpsons and even the end of MIB but better living through chemistry. Have drop a less drowsy Dramamine \in the morning and she should do OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter