Planning for a Very Rainy Day - Best Park?

Stefecatzz

"If nothing changed, there'd be no butterflies."
How many have stuck it out in a park on a rainy day? I'm not talking about the quick storm that passes through or light showers but when it rains consistently all day w/periods of steady & heavy rain?

In your opinion, what's the best rainy day park? My vote is for HS or MK since they have more indoor rides w/less distance between them that may be less likely to have to close due to a storm.

We like EP in rain, because, with the exception of TT, everything is inside. We put on ponchos when traveling between attractions, but that's about the only difference in our touring. HS is my second choice for rain, with MK 3rd and AK dead last.

Epcot for the same reason as PP...almost everything is indoors. Plus the WS has lots of places to duck into. We did our final day of last years trip at Epcot during a tropical storm. It was fun, park was pretty empty.

We have also done EP on a very rainy, rain all day kind of day. We threw on our ponchos, most water resistant shoes, and went for it! We skipped the world showcase, but did everything else except TT in a few hours. It was early May 2016 and we walked right on every ride, the crowds were a 1! We also hopped on the monorail that day and pin traded while exploring all of the deluxe resorts which was fun and something we wouldnt have done if not for the rain. We had lunch at Kona while exploring the resorts and then went back for dinner in EP. We called it a day after dinner :)

DHS -
Lots of indoor venues, no outdoor rides that will shut down due to weather and it's so small, it's not a very long dash to get from one end of the park (Muppets) to the other (Tower of Terror).

I was there in August of 2015 .. downpour, but we just went to Muppets during it . .and was able to dash from there to Pizza Planet (now Pizza Rizzo's) and rode it out with no issues.

Yes, when it rains all day, we still go forward with our plans. I agree with the others, I'd probably pick Epcot, but could make any of the parks work. Least desirable would be AK.

Last years Spring Break trip, it rained cats and dogs one day when we were at Epcot. The rest of my family bailed, but I stayed by myself for a few hours. It was great. Because I had checked the forecast, I had on Keens and a FroggTogg poncho. The park was dead in one of the busiest weeks of the year. I wandered around and did everything in short time.

It rained all day on our MK day this past December. We lived in Oregon and Alaska for a number of years so we just put our hoods up and went for it. The rain did clear out some people so that was nice. We have AP's though and didn't feel like we had to do or see everything. We had lots of fun.

Our best rainy day has been at Epcot. We wandered around WS and spent more time in each country exploring than we had in the past, seeing more than we had ever made time for.

We have spent many days in Epcot in the rain, in ponchos, in puddles! It probably is the best one for indoor attractions, but it does seem spread out in the pouring rain when you are coming from Soarin' to WS!

We had a complete downpour a few years ago on an MK day. There were quite a few closures during the day and the parade was cancelled. We stuck it out though. The biggest casualty was a brand new pair of Frye driving shoes. We had an ADR for dinner at BOG and when we got finished the park was almost empty and we were able to get on a ton of rides-including Splash four times in a row since we were already soaked to the bone. It was fun but I would prefer no rain-Lol.

The heavens opened up just as we got through the turnstiles for MNSSHP a few years ago. Truthfully, skies opened up every day and in every park and for hours at a time, but what do you do? There are no do-over days at the end of your vacation so you get moving and get wet. My only disappointment was that the Boo to You Parade was cancelled due to electrical storms in the area. We got our first (as well as second, third and fourth) rides on 7DMT in an absolute deluge. It was HILARIOUS! People were singing " Hi Ho..." at the top of their lungs while the rain streamed down their faces and everywhere else.

Did that ride again a few nights later, on a beautiful evening and it just like it was lacking something. Oh yes, the water element!

EPcot is a good choice, with its indoor attractions but really, any park can be fun. If any of your party really minds being wet, they might not enjoy the experience quite as much. Also, if you get damp, you can really get a chill in air-conditioned venues. And wet flip flops are slippery. I opted for an umbrella, as ponchos are way too hot for me, and I think I stayed just as dry as anyone. Not always saying much, though, but I don't mind rain at all. Have fun!

I would do MK or HS.

We were at Animal Kingdom in the rain last year and it wasn't too bad. It did let up eventually, but I thought it was more enjoyable than Epcot in the rain.

Epcot would be my last choice because while the attractions are indoors, it's a lot of walking, especially doing world showcase and world showcase in the rain doesn't seem that enjoyable, especially because the outdoor shows will be cancelled. There are also a lot of areas in Epcot that get ankle deep in water if it is raining really hard because of poor drainage.

The heavens opened up just as we got through the turnstiles for MNSSHP a few years ago. Truthfully, skies opened up every day and in every park and for hours at a time, but what do you do? There are no do-over days at the end of your vacation so you get moving and get wet. My only disappointment was that the Boo to You Parade was cancelled due to electrical storms in the area. We got our first (as well as second, third and fourth) rides on 7DMT in an absolute deluge. It was HILARIOUS! People were singing " Hi Ho..." at the top of their lungs while the rain streamed down their faces and everywhere else.

Did that ride again a few nights later, on a beautiful evening and it just like it was lacking something. Oh yes, the water element!

That's so funny! One of the most memorable rides on a coaster I've ever had was at Busch Gardens Williamsburg with my best friend on the (now gone) Big Bad Wolf. It was POURING, I think we were the last run they let go through before shutting it down until the rain eased. My friend didn't want to go on it, but I told her she was being a wuss. She screamed bloody murder and "I hate you!" through the entire ride, and I just laughed so hard I could scarcely breathe! When we got off, soaked to the bone, dripping wet, she again informed me that she hated me, and I kept giggling. We ran in water over our knees to a gift shop to get ponchos (kinda late!) and dry t-shirts. Then we got lunch in "Italy" when the rain had subsided. Sitting there eating, we got so tickled thinking about the coaster ride, we were nearly falling out of our seats laughing. People around us were even laughing at us!

That's one of my fondest memories with my long-time bestie. We still talk about it, and it was at least 10 years ago.

One of my fondest memories of our WDW trip from last Easter was getting to MK with my mom just as a HUGE thunderstorm rolled up. We spent about an hour moving from shop to shop on Main St. We ogled the Dooney & Burkes, watched the glass-blower make something pretty, and listened to the Dapper Dans, who had ducked into one of the shops to entertain everyone sheltering the storm. Then we sloshed our way to Columbia Harbor House and got some lunch. Afterward, we did Hall of Presidents and then hopped the monorail to Epcot. Did Ellen, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, and Figment, and then the skies cleared just in time to grab a goodie in France and head to the FP+ area for IllumiNations.

I worried about rain so much in the days leading up to that trip...so scared that my long-awaited trip would be ruined. I'll never worry again. Rain at Disney is still better than not being at Disney at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter