Plan B Shaman at NRJ

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
Glad I rode previously and am local, but the plan B implementation of the Shaman at NRJ is, well, not as good as the original. But, at least they have a plan B.

I agree at least they have a plan B, but I feel like the Shaman audioanimatronic is such the ceterpiece of the entire attraction that it really lessens the ride to not have ... and if I waited on standby for 2 hours and then got a screen I would be pretty upset.

Wish that they would let people know that "Hi, the ride is running in B mode and you might not want to wait - you can come back later and see if it is running in A mode"

Wish that they would let people know that "Hi, the ride is running in B mode and you might not want to wait - you can come back later and see if it is running in A mode"

And there it is, why burn a FP for an attraction running in "limp mode". Again, not thinking as myself as an AP who goes every few weeks, but those that spend $$$ for the experience, I feel sympathy.

And there it is, why burn a FP for an attraction running in "limp mode". Again, not thinking as myself as an AP who goes every few weeks, but those that spend $$$ for the experience, I feel sympathy.

exactly - and if you are using a FP while in "limp mode" would be great if they let you come back later to use the FP.

I understand that not every animatronic on every ride is always going to work - but it is such a key part of the ride and really the main selling feature for it, without it there isn't much there so it is a unique situation I think

It's almost like having a FP for a meet and greet and finding out they replaced the actual character with a screen video image of the character

What did I miss? Why is there a plan B right now?

Not sure about today, but a couple of nights ago the main animatronic was down for, what the CM told us, an issue. In lieu of this, they had placed a screen with a pre-recorded video showing it "animate". I called it out instantly, but only because I rode it before (~6 weeks ago).

it happens periodically as it needs maintance, etc. - so they have a screen that comes up over where the Shaman animatronic is.

Which makes me think, should they have budgeted a plan C (or C mode). Have a mirrored animatronic "in the bullpen" for the plan A (A mode). I know it is levels of redundancy, but when I managed larger scale projects with high-visibility, I always did strive for 3 back up systems with stakeholder approvals/acceptance.

I guess it comes down, again, to risk v. reward.

This is why I love these boards!

I never would have known what to expect with regards to the Shaman, and if I'd got Plan B, I would have just assumed that was what it had been all along.

Now when I ride it, I'll be all, "Ooooh, is it going to be the actual Shaman, or a screen?"

I still feel very lucky we actually got to see the mermaids swim by our boat on Pirates. Saw them twice, and ever since then it's been just lights and bubbles.

This is why I love these boards!

I never would have known what to expect with regards to the Shaman, and if I'd got Plan B, I would have just assumed that was what it had been all along.

Now when I ride it, I'll be all, "Ooooh, is it going to be the actual Shaman, or a screen?"

I still feel very lucky we actually got to see the mermaids swim by our boat on Pirates. Saw them twice, and ever since then it's been just lights and bubbles.

Hence the reason, I posted this message and not keep it intrinsic. We all love Disney and spend our hard earned $ to want an optimum experience.

It's almost like having a FP for a meet and greet and finding out they replaced the actual character with a screen video image of the character
Or like the touristy places that have you stand in front of a green screen and then when you get to the end of the attraction they've superimposed your entire family to make it look like you're surfing on the back of a shark or some such nonsense. I guess it could be worse - they could go low-tech and just have you stand next to that nice life-size, stand-up cardboard cut-out of Mickey. No one will know the difference.

This situation reminds me of the Yeti on EE - important part of the ride theme that leaves a bit missing if not operating (although at least on EE you have the thrill of the ride itself - not sure NRJ has as much stand-alone appeal).

What is it with the more recent animatronics? Is this a problem with the older ones that I've just never noticed?

Or like the touristy places that have you stand in front of a green screen and then when you get to the end of the attraction they've superimposed your entire family to make it look like you're surfing on the back of a shark or some such nonsense. I guess it could be worse - they could go low-tech and just have you stand next to that nice life-size, stand-up cardboard cut-out of Mickey. No one will know the difference.

Maybe that is the ultimate question; how much are you willing to concede for an attraction operating at less than 100% of design intention?

Not sure about today, but a couple of nights ago the main animatronic was down for, what the CM told us, an issue. In lieu of this, they had placed a screen with a pre-recorded video showing it "animate". I called it out instantly, but only because I rode it before (~6 weeks ago).
No way!! That's pretty much unacceptable to me. I would be upset if that's what they had when I went on the ride, first time or tenth.

I thought the fact that they were using a genuine animatronic is what made that ride great. I love the new technology using a video to do the faces like in 7 Dwarfs Mine Train ride. It's very clever and looks great. I'm not crazy about it on Frozen Ever After though because the faces don't match their necks and it looks very obvious. But it's still clever. But I was so happy to see such a well done animatronic on Navi River.

Was the Buzz Lightyear on the Buzz ride queue the first ride they used the video on the face? I remember seeing that for the first time and thinking it was well done.

Which makes me think, should they have budgeted a plan C (or C mode). Have a mirrored animatronic "in the bullpen" for the plan A (A mode). I know it is levels of redundancy, but when I managed larger scale projects with high-visibility, I always did strive for 3 back up systems with stakeholder approvals/acceptance.

I guess it comes down, again, to risk v. reward.

I actually has raised that and my understanding from people in the know (or who know people in the know) is that the Shaman is next generation audioanimatronic and just insanely excited endive and Pandora was already way over budget so no way to even consider a back up animatronic

This situation reminds me of the Yeti on EE - important part of the ride theme that leaves a bit missing if not operating (although at least on EE you have the thrill of the ride itself - not sure NRJ has as much stand-alone appeal).

What is it with the more recent animatronics? Is this a problem with the older ones that I've just never noticed?

It's similar to the Yeti except EE is still a really great ride without it

This would be like riding the Carousel of Progress with none of the animatronics working. Still a lot to look at but not much of a payoff

This is sad. While NRJ is a visually beautiful ride, the Shaman animatronic really is the focal point of the ride. To have that missing will take a lot away from the experience. I can only hope that they work out the problems with the animatronic, and over time it becomes reliable enough that this "B" mode is largely unnecessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter