Pit-Bull's...friend or foe?

I believe dogs are very intuitive and they read people and situations based on the type of energy they sense. If they pick up on fear or anger, they are going to take that in, and based on a combination of instinct and their own experiences, they are going to react in some manner. Like with PTSD in humans, something triggers a response based on their own past experience, which isn't necessarily what is happening in the present situation. Since dogs can't tell us what they have been through, we have to figure it out by watching their reactions and work with them to extinguish negative responses. I think most people who rescue animals do this instinctively. I do believe there is always a reason for a particular reaction, we just may not know what that reason may be. I certainly appreciate all the informative responses to this thread. Everyone has been very respectful, even when reading opposing views. Thank you.

I think in part the media is to blame. Back in the day it was German Shephards that were all dangerous. Then Rottweilers. They pick a dog and suddenly that breed is bad and dangerous.

I think in part the media is to blame. Back in the day it was German Shephards that were all dangerous. Then Rottweilers. They pick a dog and suddenly that breed is bad and dangerous.
You know come to think of it, my impression...back in the day...was Doberman's. Never really heard of Pit Bulls...round about 50 years ago.

Yep Dobermans were considered the bad dogs when I got mine. I loved them after watching The Doberman Gang (anyone remember those movies?). And that was when I started really listening to some of the ridiculous things people would repeat about certain breeds.

I also seem to remember Rottweilers being called “Devil Dogs” or was that a different breed?

Yep Dobermans were considered the bad dogs when I got mine. I loved them after watching The Doberman Gang (anyone remember those movies?). And that was when I started really listening to some of the ridiculous things people would repeat about certain breeds.

I also seem to remember Rottweilers being called “Devil Dogs” or was that a different breed?
Yes, you're right I think...Devil Dogs. We had both Dobby's and a Devil Dog...couldn't have been nicer dogs.

Like I mentioned way earlier in this thread, my daughter has a Pitt rescue, Marley, wonderful dog. But I did see him go after my son's dog, when they got them together and I was surprised by how ferocious it was. My son broke it up...and they managed to get along after some getting to know each other. But it scared the heck out of me. I would't have been able to stop it. Then again, any two dogs going at it is pretty intense. I'm not saying the Pitt was more scary than any other dogs getting into a fight. They all have really big teeth...yikes!

I love your pictures!! And he looks adorable and happy. But this phrase:

is still a little scary to me when it comes to animals this powerful. - What happens when he thinks you want him to attack someone at the door?

I'm certainly not for killing anyone's pet because of it's breed!!! That would make me beyond sad. But I don't think the reputation is something to just discount, either. - I think it's something to keep in mind, and work around with caution.

Oh no no! Not you! I was speaking of someone else’s VERY harsh and across the board response. I can absolutely agree to disagree with someone about anything if it’s said in a way I can tell that they thought about it and didn’t jUST shortly respond basically “kill them all”.

I understand what you’re saying about my quote and I’m not the best with words. My daughter has friends over all the time (including her best friend who was attacked in the face by a large dog-not a pit-so bad that she’s still undergoing cosmetic surgery) and he has never once shown aggression. I understand that dogs can snap (literally and otherwise), but she and her friends are always calm and never do any loud or aggressive movements. As I wrote this Leo has his big old head in my lap. We have friends and random workers over and he has never done anything other than lay on their feet if they’re standing up because he doesn’t want them to leave.

I understand if people have had a bad experience or if they have never been around them.
I just want to share the positives of mine and every pit I’ve ever met :)

I would bet every single owner that has had a pit bull attack someone or something said the exact same thing about their own dogs. We've all heard it said.

Possibly, but I know many people with pits who have never had issues. The problem is that every time there is an issue, it’s all over the news. They’re the enemy of the moment.

I teach and I had car rider duty two days ago. I was loading a 1st grader into her car and her dog went NUTS sand attacked me on the arm and hand and I tried to keep it from falling out of the car door. It was a Pomeranian/chihuahua looking mix. No one in the car said or did anything to stop it. Am I going to think every chihuahua or Pomeranian is like this now? No because all dogs are different.

Possibly, but I know many people with pits who have never had issues. The problem is that every time there is an issue, it’s all over the news. They’re the enemy of the moment.

I teach and I had car rider duty two days ago. I was loading a 1st grader into her car and her dog went NUTS sand attacked me on the arm and hand and I tried to keep it from falling out of the car door. It was a Pomeranian/chihuahua looking mix. No one in the car said or did anything to stop it. Am I going to think every chihuahua or Pomeranian is like this now? No because all dogs are different.
Likely that size dog won’t kill or rip someone apart. Why do you call Pit Bulls, pits?

You have the CUTEST pets. BTW, how is little Hei Hei?
Aw thanks!
Hei Hei is 16 lbs of chaos. We’ve nicknamed him “Bowling Ball Steve”.

Attachments

• C6A69AEC-5783-4AAB-8277-02CBB4EE9AC2.jpeg
    C6A69AEC-5783-4AAB-8277-02CBB4EE9AC2.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 33818C37-2323-4910-8751-5728A46AD524.jpeg
    33818C37-2323-4910-8751-5728A46AD524.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 20

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!