Pirates!

Olaf

DIS Cast Member
Just came back from seeing Pirates of the Caribbean. WOW! What a movie! Gets my vote for the Oscar this year, and Johnny Depp was terrific! Bet he ends up with one as well. Wonderful to see Disney producing such quality again.

It was long, but you didn't even notice that because it was so good. The story, the costumes, the sets, the special effects and the acting were all superb. Funny to see Steve (Jack Davenport) from Coupling and Gareth (Mackenzie Crook) from The Office--they were both terrific. Jack made the perfect pompous British Naval Officer, and they didn't have to work very hard to make Mac look like a skeleton. DS swears Filch from Harry Potter was in it too (don't know about that one).

It was funny how they kept tying the ride into the film. I was the only one in the theatre who busted out (somewhat embarrassing) at the first scene from the ride--I won't ruin it for you.

Will definately be purchasing the DVD for this one. I don't understand why they can't have simultaneous releases in the UK. It's not as if there's a language problem or anything.

ps saw a promo for The Haunted Mansion--looks great! Can the movie "It's a Small World" be far behind?! :eek: Hope not!

I'm really looking forward to this. I think Johnny Depp is usually wonderful in all his films, and from the trailers he looks in top form in this one. I read somewhere that he based his pirate character on Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones!

Perhaps they could make a horror film based on It's A Small World, where all the dolls come to life as flesh-eating zombies. I've always though that they looked a little like Chucky!

Regards

Rob

Glad to hear that the film is so good ~ Have been reading really positive feedback on it.

Can't wait to see it ~ Saw a trailer the other night and it looks fab!!! Looks as though it will be realeased here on August 8th.

I read the thread on this movie over on the other board, and found out there was a surprise after the credits run. Unfortunately, we got up and left. Don't make the same mistake. Oh well, we'll just have to go see it again.

Rob, I could definitely see Keith Richards in Johnny Depp's portrayal of Capt Jack Sparrow. He was just so much fun to watch. It was like one of those old fashioned, fun, pirate movies from the 40s & 50s. I'll bet you money we're going to have a sequel. :p

Originally posted by Olaf
I read the thread on this movie over on the other board, and found out there was a surprise after the credits run. Unfortunately, we got up and left. Don't make the same mistake. Oh well, will just have to go see it again.

Thanks Steph, top tip! I normally head for the door as soon as the credits role, but for Pirates I'll stay until the very end.

Regards

Rob

<b>[Shirley, with hands on hips]</b> ....... Now I've told you two before about leaving the cinema before the credits have rolled :rolleyes: ;) :teeth:

Would you say POC is very much a children's film or a 'kid's of all ages' film??

We discussed this in chat last night and I put forward the film "It's A Small World - the Movie!" ...... and someone else suggested it would be a horror movie - shame on you! Your punishment shall be riding the Small World boat ride and your boat breaking down midway for 30 minutes. (That should separate the men from the boys :teeth: )

My DS is 8 and he was OK with it. I told DS that it might be better if he covers his eyes for the scary parts and he replied (with rolling eyes), "Mom, I am a third grader now". :rolleyes:

The horror aspects are more campy than scary. I think anything under say . . . seven years might be a bit much. It would really just depend on the child. Not nearly as scary as Harry Potter.

There is a lot of sword fighting and some blood, but not really gory. I guess it just depends on your point of view. I'm not one for scary movies and I didn't really find this scary at all. More funny, kinda of a scary cool movie. Hope that helps.

Shirley

We've watched it with our two ( DS 10 and DD 11 ). It's very definitely a film for "kids of all ages "...it's not the usual Disney kids movie. We enjoyed it just as much as the kids.

I'd imagine any kid over the age of 7/8 would enjoy it..under about 5/6 there's a couple of intense bits that might be a bit strong.

I'd also agree with Olaf.....I can honestly see POTC being up there in contention for the Oscars. Try and ignore the Disney tag ......this is a top class film!! Mind you, all those who've been on POTC ride at MK are going to be a pain in the neck at the cinema!!!!....there's a fair few moments straight from the ride...... great fun unless you're the poor unfortunate who's sat behind the WDW fans saying " Look.... that bit's from ..... "

BTW....I believe the film is due to get a 13/PG rating when it comes out in the UK

mike230652

Thanks Mike :) ....... right, you've sold it to me! ... and I'll try very hard not to say anything out loud re the ride!!

BONZO

Hate to disappoint you but T3 is by far the weakest of the three Terminator films.

There's plenty of action and mayhem but very little ( I'm being polite here ! ) in the way of a story line. Arnie carries the movie and he has some great one liners ....... in fact he revamps every one of his trademark phrases from T1, T2 , Predator and Commando......but Arnie gets away with it every time, the man is the ORIGINAL action hero!

There's a new John Connor but no Sarah Connor................?

Mind you, I will say the new "baddie " terminator is going to be a favourite with the men out there !!!!!!!!

Blimey, I'm starting to feel like a very bad impression of Jonathan Ross .............end of review!

mike230652

Cheers Mike

Oh well - I wont hold my breath then.

I guessed that it'd be a hard act to follow.

We seem to be about the only people in the US who didn't care for it. I thought it was way too long, had a plot line you could drive a truck through, 4 times too many loooonnnnngggg sword duels, and a main character, Johnny Depp, who sort of came across as a pirate drag queen. And that was the good points. It was good photography. Didn't stay to see the end of the titles, had my hat on and headed for the door as soon as the began to run. But that's just my 2cents worth. As far as the Haunted Mansion movie? Pass.

I will admit Joe, Johnny Depp would have looked better with about half as much eye makeup on. ;)

Olaf

" ...........Johnny Depp would have looked better with about half as much eye makeup on...................."

Speak for yourself, dearie !! ( in his best Kenneth Williams voice ! )

mike230652

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter