Pin Trading at Stateroom door?

we did officer trading once - my son was probably 3 at the time and the pin he got (on older Remy / Ratatouille pin) is his absolute favorite since he got it from "the captain" :)

We did a couple trading events but never traded any pins b/c my impression was that others there were "professional" collectors and had tons of el cheapo pins ready to trade for our best pins. . .

So glad to know that your son had a great experience. And sorry to hear your disappointment at events.

Our family are new into pin trading and we just want to have a good time. We are not trying to complete sets nor do we have trading goals.

In preparation for this trip, we have purchased pins from Disney parks overseas to bring to trade on ship. We wanted to trade out good pins for good pins, so that everyone have a good time. I believe in the long run, we will remember these moments, not the pin itself.

I saw a door decked out in magnets and there was a spot where pins were stuck to a magnet/corkboard type thing. It was set up for trading with a little note and my first thought was "this poor guy is going to lose all his pins" but each time I went by the stateroom door there were plenty of pins left. So you really never know but it is worth a risk. Very fun idea though!

So glad to know that your son had a great experience. And sorry to hear your disappointment at events.

Our family are new into pin trading and we just want to have a good time. We are not trying to complete sets nor do we have trading goals.

In preparation for this trip, we have purchased pins from Disney parks overseas to bring to trade on ship. We wanted to trade out good pins for good pins, so that everyone have a good time. I believe in the long run, we will remember these moments, not the pin itself.

i suspect the pins you bring will be a great hit! - and you're right, the pin should remind you of the experience as it did my son... it's a good attitude to go in with...

We are taking our kids on their 1st Disney cruise! We will be sailing on the Aug 23rd 2019 Disney Dream Cruise and will be putting a pin board on our door ;) Anyone else? Also we are wondering if any fellow cruisers are interested in trading with my family of 5 ;)

we did officer trading once - my son was probably 3 at the time and the pin he got (on older Remy / Ratatouille pin) is his absolute favorite since he got it from "the captain" :)

We did a couple trading events but never traded any pins b/c my impression was that others there were "professional" collectors and had tons of el cheapo pins ready to trade for our best pins. . .
Yes you definitely have to be careful. There are people willing to take advantage of children that don’t know the difference between a good pin and a crappy one.

We had a great time at the officers pin trading in July there were alot people kids and adults trading with each other much more than past sailings. Although July was fun we got much better pins at officers trading two years ago. We buy our pins at Disney store online on sale and get several of the same ones. I stock up for future cruises.

I don't think anyone would trade stuff at your door, you would likely lose some pins and magnets vs. having any traded.

For pin trading: I just looked at a personal navigator for the Dream 4 nt cruise and on day 4 there is pin trading by Preludes from 7:15-7:30PM. I haven't been on the Dream yet, but on the Magic/Wonder they also have a 'pin trading book' in one of the shops--so that is something to consider.

For us on the Magic/Wonder, we have decorated our door with magnets and they all stayed on our door. Some people have said magnets will 'walk away'--some kids (or even adults) will take them or put them on other people's doors--so don't put anything out that you don't mind losing, just in case.

As far as trading magnets--maybe you could make a magnet exchange with passengers on your cruise. These boards have 'meet' threads for the various cruises--if there isn't one started for your cruise yet, you can start one. Unfortunately, the meet threads on these boards seem to be less populated these days, most of it has moved to a 'more popular' forum--I stay here on these boards vs. venturing off, but most of the exchanges have moved to the other forum.
What other forum?

We are taking our kids on their 1st Disney cruise! We will be sailing on the Aug 23rd 2019 Disney Dream Cruise and will be putting a pin board on our door ;) Anyone else? Also we are wondering if any fellow cruisers are interested in trading with my family of 5 ;)
If you are on the Social media group, put it out there for the August 23rd cruise. I too will be sailing with you.

After seeing this thread last month I decided to try pin trading on my door. We just got off a 10 night cruise on Sunday and the door pin trading was a hit! Lots of trading occurred, there were new pins every time we came back to the room. We put 15 pins out and we didn’t lose any. We did get two trades which left non-Disney pins in return, but at least they tried (and I’d like to believe they were not knowledgeable about how pin trading works). We would occasionally take some of the pins on our board that weren’t being traded for and trade them with a cast member just to change up the board. We enjoyed it a lot and will definitely do it again!

After seeing this thread last month I decided to try pin trading on my door. We just got off a 10 night cruise on Sunday and the door pin trading was a hit! Lots of trading occurred, there were new pins every time we came back to the room. We put 15 pins out and we didn’t lose any. We did get two trades which left non-Disney pins in return, but at least they tried (and I’d like to believe they were not knowledgeable about how pin trading works). We would occasionally take some of the pins on our board that weren’t being traded for and trade them with a cast member just to change up the board. We enjoyed it a lot and will definitely do it again!

thats brilliant :) Im planning to to do this to, did you write a note or just put the pins up? Im planning to use a foam board cut into a Mickey head shape and then glue magnets on the back

thats brilliant :) Im planning to to do this to, did you write a note or just put the pins up? Im planning to use a foam board cut into a Mickey head shape and then glue magnets on the back
In the middle of my board I printed a small paper that said “Honor System
Take a Pin, Leave a Pin” with a cute Mickey clip art image. I just had a small (8x10) corkboard that I decorated and put magnets on the back. I used pins that I would not be devastated if stolen, and went with the mindset that I wouldn’t get upset even if the whole board disappeared off my door. It ended up being a great experience for us.

In the middle of my board I printed a small paper that said “Honor System
Take a Pin, Leave a Pin” with a cute Mickey clip art image. I just had a small (8x10) corkboard that I decorated and put magnets on the back. I used pins that I would not be devastated if stolen, and went with the mindset that I wouldn’t get upset even if the whole board disappeared off my door. It ended up being a great experience for us.

thanks, this is very helpful. And yes I planned to put pins that Im not bothered about, genuine pins, but trading pins and keep the good traders for my lanyard. There is always the risk that the whole thing could take Ursula The Sea Witch's potion and grow legs and walk away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter