Pilates

MBFergie

Insane Mom
I'm pretty much a lurker...but have a question.......

Does anybody have any experience with pilates? I would love to incorporate this in my exercise routine but am kinda hesitant due to the cost.

Thanks!

I just bought a Pilates DVD but haven't tried it yet. I don't even know if I need special equipment for this.

I've got the Mari Winsor set and I love them. I've even gotten a couple others she's done that aren't regularly advertised. They are hard but they really work and the more you do them the better you get - the basics tape is only 20 minutes and even though you're working hard it doesn't get you all hyped up like an aerobic video so it is kind of soothing. I do the basic tape about 3 times a week and advanced tapes another 3 times. Form is really important and I found that the more I did them and got better the easier it became for me to perfect my form.

Let me know if you have any questions!!

Ditto CrzyforPiglet (except I only have the 3 tape set, am thinking about getting the other tapes that target specific body parts!) I never thought I'd EVER get to the point where I would pop the advanced (50ish minute) tape in my VCR, and now I do it at least 3 times a week! And I can do the moves almost as good as the people in the video too! It really works, but you have to give it time and stick with it a while.

The great thing for me is that my abs are so strong right now!!! I wiggled around alot when I tried the 20 minute tape, could hardly keep my feet in the air sometimes. Now I don't wiggle at all! And my bottom has really changed shape, for the better. It used to be pretty flat and wide, but it's shaping up and getting a little higher, so it fills out my pants better! :)

I wouldn't want to live WITHOUT these tapes!!!

I took Pilates from a friend (it was actually called a "mat class," if she were to call it "Pilates" it would be even more expensive!). I stopped because it was getting too costly. However, if you belong to a gym or the Y, see if they offer classes (also look for "mat" classes). I really think that in the beginning at least, it helps to learn the basics, particularly the breathing, from a "real" in-person instructor.

Now that I have learned the basics, I picked up a set of tapes that has an AM workout, and PM workout, both only 25 minutes long. I really enjoyed Pilates, you can do it at home, and it's challenging. I really started to feel the benefits when I was doing it.

I do pilates at the YMCA once a week--and MAN is it hard!
But I'm trying, I'm trying! I know if I gave in and bought the tape to do it more often it'd be a lot easier.

I bought Jennifer Kries "Pilates Precision Toning and Sculpting" and after 30 minutes on the elipical machine I thought I'd give it a try. It looked way easier then it actually was and the toning section was over 50 minutes long!! But if I could look like her I would do it everyday!!!!!!!!!!!

I really liked it. Hopefully I will start paying attention to my posture more and it will give the apperance of losing more weight.

Anybody thinking of doing this should really give it a try. I'm going to try to mat class at a local pilates gym Saturday...first one is free.

Have a great day...and pull in those abs when you walk!!

Marie

I bought a pilates dvd before Christmas and in the book that was included with it it sid that after 30 session your body will have totally changed its shape.

Well the dvd is still lying next to the dvd player unusued but I have joined a gym recently and they run pilates classes included in your monthly membership fee, so I think I am going to give it another go.

I really like the Mari Winsor DVDs. I hate exercise but this workout really targets your middle and you do feel stronger right away.

I especially like it because it's not a bunch of jumping around and stuff - after three kids my hopping around days are over :rolleyes: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter