• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PI Closing rumor

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
Mouseplanet.com has an article on the rumored closing of the clubs on PI. There is a thread about it on the Theme park BB I'll try to paste it here. I hope its not true I know many of us here love the AC. I also wonder about the impact on SS. "Closure of PI ~ How does this effect you and possibly SS ? ~ Discuss amongst yourselves..."
From the latest Park Update at mouseplanet.com:

A recent rumor that we've heard states that days are numbered for the entire lake side of Pleasure Island. Last week, we reported that "major enhancements" would be cause the end of the nightly fireworks at Pleasure Island and demolition of the West End Stage and Hub Stage. It turns out that there is more to the story.

The story, as we heard it, is that attendance has been down so badly at the Pleasure Island clubs that, even with extending Cast Member nights to five nights per week, they were still having trouble getting people into the clubs. Because of this, everything on the lake side of Pleasure Island will be demolished, and the area will be repopulated by contracted restaurants. Contracted restaurants have been the biggest money maker for Disney in the Downtown Disney area.

The rumor gives some time in early 2006 as the target date for the closure of the clubs and the beginning of the demolition. Should the rumor prove out, the only clubs to remain would be Mannequins, 8-Trax and the Comedy Warehouse. The rumor also states that another restaurant will be built at the far west end of Downtown Disney, between Cirque du Soleil and the Saratoga Springs Resort. If anybody has more information about this rumor, please let us know

Wonder what this will mean for SSR demand?

I've never been to the Pleasure Island clubs, but have listened to live music at the West End Stage (which was enjoyable).

I think it would enhance SSR. I would say the majority of DVC are family oriented and were not going to spend alot of time in the clubs anyway, but would welcome a large selection of nice restaurants across the lake. :flower:

I agree with Sammie we enjoy walking over to DTD to shop or get some ice cream and sit by the lake.

We did an add on at SSR and it was NOT because of PI. We love the access to DTD and the restaurants and shopping. DH and I are 'empty nesters' and nightclubbing isn't on our agenda.

pinnie

TwingleMum said:
The rumor also states that another restaurant will be built at the far west end of Downtown Disney, between Cirque du Soleil and the Saratoga Springs Resort. If anybody has more information about this rumor, please let us know

Uhhh, am I missing something? Cirque and Saratoga Springs are nowhere near each other.

Well having PI right across from DTD was one of the reasons we bought SSR but not the main reason.

Our thinking was when the kids got a bit older it would be nice to just hope across the moat and have some adult time. I am not a big fan of the West Side at all. Now of course this wasn't our major or deciding factor but it did come up.

As long as the Marketplace remains and they do something better to it then a bunch of restaurants it will be ok.

This trip hubby and I are making it a point to go to PI since we have never been before and might not be able to again.

The clubs and night life was one of the reasons we purchased at SSR our children are older 19 & 11. There are already enough dinning choices at WDW. It is nice to go dancing or to a club if you like.

PI does nothing for me, even on my honeymoon I didn't care for it. I love DD. I bought at SSR because of the restaurants and shops. We go in the off season, when the parks close early. We like to walk to DD to eat dinner.

Chuck S said:
Uhhh, am I missing something? Cirque and Saratoga Springs are nowhere near each other.

Isn't there a path between Saratoga Springs and the West side? Or, you could take the boat I suppose.

I wonder if more people would have gone to the clubs if the minimum age for entry to the area was 18 or even 21 (with no exceptions). I for one did not like to see children in that kind of atmosphere (clubs / drinking) and avoided PI because of it. JMHO. YMMV.

Best wishes -

I would love to see it reflect the boardwalk area. We love Jellyrolls, and hanging out at the espn club, and I would consider them *nightlife*, but different from PI.

Maybe it could even be more like world showcase, with restaurants, pleasant outdoor seating, and few bars, but nothing really that club-y.

We would definitely welcome this change.

Jenny

The change wouldn't bother us at all. We never do the clubs anyway. I would like to have more restaurants come like Raglan Road, that we can take the kids to. More shopping is always good as far as I'm concerned. :)

TwingleMum said:
Should the rumor prove out, the only clubs to remain would be Mannequins, 8-Trax and the Comedy Warehouse.

Ugh, why don't they bulldoze Mannequins while they're at it? :confused3
I would be happy to see all of PI gone, especially since people are now allowed to drink while dragging their poor exhausted kids around.

I think Disney itself killed those clubs. Ever since West End was built, there is so much other stuff to do in the DTD area that it seems silly to pay the extra money to get into the Pleasure Island clubs.

The Boardwalk area also diluted the purpose of Pleasure Island.

We were at Pleasure Island last month & went to the last two shows at the Comedy Warehouse. We have always had a good time there. It will be interesting to see what happens to that piece of WDW.

Who says that The DVC Powers That Be never listen to us. There have been complaints about not enough places to eat at SSR since before the place opened. Now they are not only expanding the Turf Club into a full-menu full-service restaurant, but they're tearing down part of PI to build more restaurants! :rotfl2:

I am one of the biggest Adventurers' Club fans on the planet, and would be very disappointed to see it go. :sad2:

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter