Photography Policy Change...help me decide!

Wish on a Star

DIS Veteran
I was so excited that Randy was available to photography my October 2009 wedding- I actually jumped up and down.
When I called to see if I had to sign up for an engagement photo shoot to replace the Disney photographer at my wedding I was notified that Disney is no longer substituting the two.

I still really want to use Randy- I just dont think i will be happy with anything less...

I dont know if any of you have heard the same thing... or if anyone can help me decide what to do. Should I have two photographers since I am paying for it anyway?

Wow, they're really pushing hard for brides to use Disney Photography... :confused3

If I were you, I would speak to my planner about my concerns with Disney Photography. Say you've seen their work and have been unimpressed. Mention you know they've lost pictures before (and even cite their unprofessional resolution) as another reason you don't want them. Be persistent. Talk to a higher up manager if need be and explain to them.

If all this fails and they simply will not budge then have two photographers but make sure the Disney one knows Randy is your main photographer and to stay out of his way! Explain the situation to Randy and ensure he knows he is perfectly within his rights to tell the Disney photographer to buzz off.

Frankly, there is no way I would let Disney near my wedding for photos. Not worth the risk.

I don't think that you can use 2 photographers. I have heard that this is in the contracts. That being said, I would go with Randy! He is amazing, and his work is consistent.

I am not sure on using 2 photographers, but the way I read your post is... you can use Randy but they aren't substituting the engagement session for the wedding day photography. Maybe you can get a park photoshoot instead? or even a resort photoshoot? i might have been reading that wrong though!

I don't think you will be allowed to have 2 photographers... I think it's part of the photography contract (both Randy and Disney) that they will be the only photographer. Are you an Escape bride? Maybe Disney could do part of your day and Randy the other part? Maybe they will let you 'upgrade' your photography part of your package for some videography? I hate that Disney is doing this... it's ridiculous to expect brides to use their photographers when their work is so unpredictable! Let me know what you find out as I know this is going to be an issue for me as well with my wedding! Be persistent and GOOD LUCK!

That's a good point about not being able to have both... In that case, hands down go with Randy!!

You can't have two photographers- we just had a bride with the same quandry.

I signed my contract in October 2008, and I know when I spoke to Disney about substituting they said "yes, we currently still offer a substitution of a honeymoon session..." So I'm not surprised that it has come to this. I would honestly be shocked if they reduce the price of something to substitute, but I think it's still worth being persistent and going up the food chain because their whole policy on photography is pretty ridiculous.

I would honestly be shocked if they reduce the price of something to substitute, but I think it's still worth being persistent and going up the food chain because their whole policy on photography is pretty ridiculous.

ITA! ::yes:: Enough brides make noise and they'll have to change it!

I am still waiting on my official wedding planner- so I definitely hope to go up the chain of command on this. I went ahead and booked Randy- so I guess the real issue is what to do with the Disney photographer.

They said they are no longer exchanging the wedding pictures for "engagement shots" because too many brides were not showing up. (Which I have heard that some girls don't show up, but in my opinion they get paid either way- so who cares)

I mentioned to the Sales Rep that I had heard about people having their photos lost and the simple fact that it's so much cheaper to go with Randy so I can order as many prints as I want. Their answer to that is that there are other costs to consider, because Disney is not a photography company. But I think we all know there is no reason that a photo should ever cost so much to print. Is there gold leaf in the paint or something? LOL

This might sound a little silly but bear with me...When I spoke to DFTW last (and it amazes me how one person can be so helpful and the other so not...) they said that "you can substitute but you can't go with out." With that being said and all the hoop-la about how poor Disney Photog is...(and I'm in the same boat-I WOULD NOT LET DP NEAR MY PHOTOS THAT DAY-too unreliable) She said that, for an escape you have 2 hours of coverage. She also suggested that I could use them before or after the ceremony...she gave me a bunch of options, but she specifically stuck with "the wedding day." I guess they are changing the words to transition the policy.

SO, my thought is this...mom & dad don't want to loose out on the $$$ for photography...I don't want to risk it..Is it possible to schedule a honeymoon shoot for the same day? OR would they let you do a trash the dress shoot instead-again on the same day? These are the ideas I'm playing with. I agree-go up the chain of command until they get the point...I'm all in for that! but in the meantime, find a loop hole and go with it...See what you can get. Like I said the woman I spoke to said that you can't go without and that it sounded like you could pick the 2 hours of coverage that you want... :confused3
Just my thoughts I guess. HTH...
However, I would (and plan) on staying out of the parks and using outside photo. No matter what, I'm not risking it...and you shouldn't either.:mic:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter