Phone CM, PIN - can't believe this happened

DisneyWishes14

DIS Veteran
So, a friend of mine contacted me to tell me her mother was trying to plan a WDW trip for their whole family and she wanted to know if I could help her. Of course! I talk to her mom, she gives me her dates, number and ages of people, resort, ticket and dining options wanted, etc. and she gives me the price Disney has quoted her for the package with flights. She wrote everything down but had no paper work from Disney detailing what was discussed (even though I find out later, she actually had rooms on hold - wait for this!) Ok! I go online and price it out for her using the spring discount and notice only garden view rooms are available at BC and the total cost is coming out a few hundred dollars more than what her quote is. I think - she must have put standard rooms on hold (I'm hoping!) and perhaps airfare fluctuated. I give her a call back to see if the rooms are actually on hold and she thinks they are and proceeds to give me SIX reservation numbers - three room-only and three package numbers, but she only needs THREE rooms. She said the CM told her she couldn't get her "discount" on their first night and had to book it this way. I thought, uh oh, this is NOT good. I looked her reservations up online (thank goodness she did not put down any money yet).

Here is what happened. It turns out she had a PIN code. The PIN code is blacked out for her arrival date, so the Disney CM booked her a room-only Lagoon View room WITH NO DISCOUNT for their first night and booked her a package for the remaining 3 nights. So, if she had gone through with this, they would have shown up their first day and would have had NO TICKETS or DINING. And, as you all know, they would have had to check-out and re- check in on their second day with a chance of having to switch rooms. We are talking a family of 9 in three rooms. Not only that, the total she had was for the package and the flights, it did not include that first night room-only reservation which would have added $1300 to what she thought she was paying, plus she would have had to put two deposits down. So, costs more, no tickets or dining their first day and annoyance of checking in twice with a possibility of switching rooms. WTH??!! I mean SERIOUSLY?!! This poor woman had no idea this is what the CM was configuring for her.

When I called to try to work this all out, the CM I spoke to and I quickly figured out it would cost them LESS than what she was quoted for her pin code 3- night package (not including that first night room-only reservation) to book ALL nights under the spring discount WITH TICKETS AND DINING.

I have heard so many horror stories about dealing with phone CM's lately, but this takes the cake. The configuration the first CM created for this woman was not only vastly more expensive than simply booking her a spring discount package, it would have most likely ruined their vacation. Sorry Disney, you HAVE to train your reservation CM's. This is really bad.

Thank goodness they turned to you!

FYI. You can get your park tickets one day ahead of a package. We did this in 2011. Had a 1 day ressie at PoR before our 8 night package. We were able to get our tickets a day early. The dining no.

However what you did was best.

I have read here on these boards for a few years that CM's will price what you ask for, they will not volunteer additional money saving options that you do not ask about specifically. I look through the latest mousesavers newsletter and these boards for discount info before making any reservations. I think many people end up over paying because they are not as obsessed as me and don't know where to get all the info.

I'm surprised they would discuss another person's reservations with you - it was my understanding that they wouldn't do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter