Phone Call from WDW re DDP email

flipflop

Mommy is changing her name
I took the advice of a poster on this board who encouraged those disappointed with the 2008 plan to send an email to WDW. I did just that and I am happy to report that I just received a phone call from WDW regarding my email. I was delighted that they took the time to follow-up. It was good customer service and I thought others here would want to know.

:goodvibes

A customer service rep, on behalf of the company, told me that the company had recieved my email and that customer feedback is important to management. She said that she was sorry I found the new plan disappointing - they apparently have received quite a bit of feedback on the new plan from other unhappy customers. She expressed appreciation for me taking time to give feedback because that customer feedback will be instrumental in evaluating the plan for 2009. They take customer feedback seriously.

That was the crux of it. Of course, I thought the plan was set for next 3 years b/c of the union contract so I don't know how any changes would be made for 2009 but since I'm not positive about that, and didn't feel like giving the rep a hard time, I left well enough alone. Probably a bunch of hot air (an dmost likely scripted) but the fact that they followed up at all was enough to make me feel like they care (whether or not they do).

Disney will improve the dining plan in 2009 if bookings are less then projected. Disney could add back the appetizer or lower the price enough to compensate for the tip. Disney could also follow the deluxe plan and include a refillable mug.

The server who started the no tip in the DDP thread, the thread where posters accused him of making stuff up, said Disney reserved the right to bring back the included tip if bookings went down too much. We don't know if that was in the final contract or if that would result in removal of the "automatic tip" for parties of 6+ and DDE discounted checks.

The refillable cup would help somewhat, but the tip not included is the big thing, at least that's how I feel. We received the meal package for free and it's really great. I don't think I would have that much of a problem if the plan were free, but it is a big increase in actual price.

I also got a call and spoke to a rep for a long time. She also stated many people have complained and that although changes were unlikely, the plan could still be modified. I would guess if enough people complain and they get much less people opting for the plan, they would change it for the better to get more guests to use it. She sounded like there is a big backlash against the changes. I brought up everything possible that was negative and after I said it ,she said she had heard the same things from other people.

Okay, here's the thing. A lot of DISers - and participants in other forums, and readers of other Disney-dedicated sites - may complain, but a lot MORE visitors are likely either first-timers and not aware of the 'old' plan, or people who don't care about the changes and still think it's a good deal and a convenience.

I called yesterday to add the DDP for my Dec trip. The CM asked me if I knew how the plan worked and I told her yes, I had used it several times in the last 2 1/2 years. I also mentioned that I originally was going to just use my DDE card, but decided I wanted to use the DDP one last time, since I wouldn't be using it again. She asked me why I said that and stressed that the plan was a really good deal. I told her I wasn't happy with the plan for 2008 and that without the appetizer and tip being incuded it wasn't such a good deal. I mentioned that the reason I liked the 2007 plan is because everything was included, espcially the tip. Her whole tone changed and she mentioned that quite a few people are saying that, almost everytime she tries to get them to buy the new DDP. She also asked if she could take my comments and name down to add to a complaint list. So, maybe Disney is keeping up with guests complaints. :confused3

Disney will improve the dining plan in 2009 if bookings are less then projected.
Or discontinue the program completely.

Actually, they may be aiming at some specific type of change, and this 2008 plan is just a stepping stone to that change. If they're that strategic, they could be thinking that they'll need to introduce the new plan they have in mind so that it appears to be a step above what they've been offering, so the 2008 plan could be the basis on which their eventual target is evaluated instead of the overly-generous 2007 plan.

Disney could add back the appetizer or lower the price enough to compensate for the tip.
Those are two things that I believe they will not do.

Disney could also follow the deluxe plan and include a refillable mug.
Yes, good only at the hotel. I could see that.

I would guess if enough people complain and they get much less people opting for the plan, they would change it for the better to get more guests to use it.
Actually, they'll be looking at the sales figures much more so than unsolicited feedback. There is no way to gauge how representative such unsolicited feedback is, given that it could be spurred on by things like Internet discussions. :rotfl:

And as I mentioned above, if they do get the message that the Dining Plan is causing dissatisfaction, they might determine that they're simply better off without offering it.

She sounded like there is a big backlash against the changes.
They always work to make the guest feel like they're special. There have been cases where folks reported getting that kind of impression from the rep and subsequently Disney did something, as well as folks reporting getting that kind of impression from the rep and subsequently Disney did nothing.

I took the advice of a poster on this board who encouraged those disappointed with the 2008 plan to send an email to WDW. I did just that and I am happy to report that I just received a phone call from WDW regarding my email. I was delighted that they took the time to follow-up. It was good customer service and I thought others here would want to know.

:goodvibes
What email address do you send a complaint to regarding the new dining plan? What doesn't seem fair is that the cost went down one dollar yet you need to add quite a bit of tip to each day. I have a feeling this may end up backfiring for the wait staff. I think they would have been better off keeping the tip as it is....I know we tipped extra quite often on the dining plan even though we didn't need to do so. My son has allergies and they really took great care of him. If you have a link or an email I would also like to send a message.

What email address do you send a complaint to regarding the new dining plan?
[SIZE=-1]wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com[/SIZE]

What doesn't seem fair is that the cost went down one dollar yet you need to add quite a bit of tip to each day.
Well, it was clearly a deliberate price increase. That doesn't make it "unfair". :confused3

I have a feeling this may end up backfiring for the wait staff.
They should fire their union management if it does.

I received a phone call from Disney too about my email. Spoke to avery nice man, for about 20 min, and he tried to explain why Disney did what they did. He said that whenever Disney gets a lot of feed back on a situation, which he then added happened about the DP and the vast majority was negative, they like to call the people who have commented back and speak with them.

He told me that the tip issue was set for the 2008 year, but could be changed for 2009. He said that many people had complained of sub-standard service which neccessitated the change. As far as the no appetizer change, he said that he has heard many suggestions of changing it to a choice between an appetizer or a dessert. He said that it was possible that the DP changes could be "ammended" during the year for that situation. He said that there was alot of wasted food from people who ordered food that just never ate it or ordered it because they could. I cant argue there, but made my suggestion nonetheless.

I agree with the poster that I felt good getting to talk to a real person to air my displeasure with the change. And that they called me! I was impressed.

So tell all of your friends and fellow DIS'ers to keep emailing. I dont know if it will cause it to change, but it has got someones attention and it's a start.

That is one change to the 2008 plan that does sound plausible in the short-term: Changing it to be appetizer or dessert. It would probably be presented as an enhancement to the Dining Plan.

It is great that Disney provides guests with these feel-good calls. Part of the wonderful Disney service, and in synch with the customer service adage, "Make the customer feel like they're always right." :thumbsup2

You know then, bicker, I have a theoretical complaint.
A couple visiting Walt Disney World in 2009 and using the potential DDP could get one appetizer to share, two entrees, and one dessert to share. That's not too much food, it makes a lot of sense, it's a reasonable value, and they get a good variety of tastes.
A solo traveler would need to choose one course or the other. I call this a theoretical complaint because, really, three restaurant courses IS too much food for one person :teeth: and I really would rather have the choice of which 'extra' course I want to include - and, if I did want both an appetizer and a dessert, I would/should have the option of which one is included in the DDP and which is paid for by me. But it wouldn't be fair, and doesn't everything at Disney have to be fair? ;)

Never say never. But I will be surprised to see that happen. Only because sharing an appy and dessert is what almost everyone would do. (Can't blame them.)
Even if cost was not a factor (say the cost of the plan was increased later) the slowing up the turn around time of the tables would be there.
Time will tell. However I think the real comparison will be done by reviewing how well (or not) the various DDPs sell.
There is always has been, and always will be, tweaking to the system.

I say, if you're not happy with the DDP changes, then keep sending the emails. Remember all the upset parents because of the new kids menu? They definitley added more options for the kids after the backlash...at least it seems like they did.

Emails won't have the same effect of simply not purchasing the Dining Plan next year. That will have effect. If enough people still purchasing the Dining Plan, then that will be a clear message to Disney that they've made the best decision.

I agree with bicker. Emails are an effective way of expressing our displeasure, but to really get our message to Disney - people need to not purchase the plan. A lot of people need to not purchase the plan.

I think it was this thread that mentioned that the cost of the DDP went up over 20% for the end user (us). Figure that our cost went down $1, but we lost 18% of value (losing the Tip) and the loss of Appetizer represents another % of value.

Because our costs went up, Disney is making more money on us. This extra money will help subsidize the cost of some people not using the plan the way it is now. 1,000 People who are upset and decide to not use the plan next year will not affect Disney's bottom line. Disney has a cushion built in.

Also, this could help the ADR situation. If lots of savvy Disney guests stop using the plan and start eating counter service, Disney is still getting their money. More tables may open up and this could help address the fact that non-savvy newbies can't eat where they want at Disney because all of us on the plan have secured our reservations at 180 days out. Those who don't 'do' Disney, don't really understand that you need to plan 6 months out where you're going to eat every single night of vacation. If trips are less magical for the newbie, then they probably won't spend thousands of dollars on a second trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter