Phantom of the Opera bday party...Any ideas?

Barb D

DIS Veteran
DD11 wants to have a Phantom of the Opera bday party (for her 12th bday.) This will be 2 weeks after I have major surgery, so I told her she can have a few friends over for Chinese food and to watch the movie, but nothing very elaborate. We're open for suggestions for crafts/games/activities that don't take a lot of preparation or cleanup.

We thought about masks, but to do them with plaster of paris would take too long to dry. (This will be a four hour party, not three days!) We might still make masks out of fun foam and decorate them with fancy feathers, etc.

actually, I've seen masks that you can buy -- very plain -- so you just have to decorate them with feathers, sequins, etc.

Rubyslipperlover, where did you find the masks? If I can find some that aren't lightweight plastic, I might go that route. I've thought of doing a double layer of fun foam, with a dowel attached to hold it up with (instead of elastic to hold it on.)

Let's see, this is right up my alley...

Definitely masks--they sell white plastic ones in craft stores, very easy to decorate with feathers and sequins to look elegant. Of course, they also seel the sequins/gems and feathers in various colors.

Consider a maze of some type, if you have the room for it, kind of like the catacombs of the theater.

If her friends are really "into" Phantom as well, you could have a trivia contest.

Kareoke is a possibility, esp. if you can get a couple songs from the play/movie. If they're really ambitious, you could have them (all together or in smaller groups, depending on the number) act out a skit from it. Pull out a bunch of fabric or old clothes or anything you have that would be vaguely "period".

Sounds like a lot of fun--good luck! If I think of more, I'll post again.

www.orientaltrading.com used to sell feather masks - they weren't very expensive.

Could you find someplace to buy cheap opera glasses that they could watch the movie with?

Buy some cheap, plastic champagne glasses and serve them ginger ale with their meal.

I thought it was for you not your daughter in that case I would say just get Gerard Butler and forget the rest.

And somehow, you just have to incorporate the chandelier into the party. I'm not exactly sure how, but wouldn't it be cool to somehow make a chandelier pinata? :cool1:

Pam said:
www.orientaltrading.com used to sell feather masks - they weren't very expensive.

Could you find someplace to buy cheap opera glasses that they could watch the movie with?

Buy some cheap, plastic champagne glasses and serve them ginger ale with their meal.

I was thinking Oriental Trading fr the masks, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter