Petticoats in the parks

ZombieTiana

Earning My Ears
Hello all! My husband and I are going to Disneyland and California Adventure the first week of December and I'm going to be Disneybounding, but alas have run into a conundrum. Do I bring petticoats to wear under my dresses? So I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience with petticoats and the water rides as well as rides like Space Mountain where they may make riding...interesting..... Any advice would be wonderful, thank you!

Haha! Oddly enough, I do have experience with this. I like wearing my petticoat in the parks because it creates a little more of a bubble around me and is great in the rain (it's like an upside down umbrella!). Plus I even got the attention of the OC Register last year on the 61st birthday because I was dressed up in my 101 Dalmatians 50s dress (with petticoat, of course).

Specifically I've used Hell Bunny petticoats if that helps at all. I have ridden most rides in it at this point aside from a couple smaller kiddy rides.

I went on GRR in my petticoat and that ride always soaks me. It was unpleasant for a little bit, but I found it did quickly dry. I also usually wear capri leggings under my petticoat because it keeps the layers from getting stuck to my legs quite so badly. It also helps for those possibly awkward moments where you might not be able to sit properly. And I do mean proper leggings. Not those "so thin they're actually nylons" leggings. You want a decent thickness to them. Just get them for a length that will be hidden below your petticoat.

Riding on the carousel was interesting. I would have rather ridden side saddle, but I didn't want to push things with the CMs as I'm sure that wouldn't have been an approved way to ride. This is where the aforementioned capri leggings coming in handy because the easiest way to handle not riding side saddle is to just flare the whole thing around you instead of sitting on it like normal.

Splash isn't nearly as bad as GRR in my opinion in terms of soak factor. But it can be a little more awkward to sit especially getting in and out. You will NOT want to do the carousel trick. Just hike it under you and sit on the petticoat and skirt of the dress. Again, the capri leggings will help here. Despite the leg spread you'll be forced to do, anything to about your knee shouldn't be a scandalous sight and the capri leggings help to assure this.

Space isn't an issue. It is a fast load (or the ride will shut down), but as long as you're prepared stepping in to immediately smooth down the back of your skirt and petticoat to sit down, then you'll be fine.

I honestly do not recommend wearing a petticoat on a water ride or SM. Even pirates is iffy, because your backside can become damp and maybe even stained from it. I have worn skirts before, but none with a petticoat. If I do wear one, I will be avoiding those rides.

...Riding on the carousel was interesting. I would have rather ridden side saddle, but I didn't want to push things with the CMs as I'm sure that wouldn't have been an approved way to ride. This is where the aforementioned capri leggings coming in handy because the easiest way to handle not riding side saddle is to just flare the whole thing around you instead of sitting on it like normal...

Speaking from experience (ha!), CMs will allow you to ride side saddle as long as you are facing inward, not out. They will actually come to make you turn around. :) A CM told me that this rule was made after one of the early Dapper Days when skirts were flying up all over the place and the view got rather interesting. Now modesty reigns in King Arthur's court!

Last edited:

Speaking from experience (ha!), CMs will allow you to ride side saddle as long as you are facing inward, not out. They will actually come to make you turn around. :) A CM told me that this rule was made after one of the early Dapper Days when skirts were flying up all over the place and the view got rather interesting. Now modesty reigns in King Arthur's court!

Omg, this makes me so happy to know! I never bothered to even try because I didn't want to delay the ride at all for others.

I'm definitely side saddling it next I wear a dress to the parks. Thank you!

i wore a petticoat for dapper day once and i don't remember it being any trouble at all. i might have had to work a little bit to stuff all the material into some of the tighter seats (like goofy's sky school), but that's about it. i also always wear bloomers (leggings) under my dresses/skirts when i go to the parks, so i don't give everyone a show. i love wearing petticoats, it's so much fun to swing them around, lol

Sweet, thank you all! I'll probably wear them as we're staying at the DLH and I can just walk back and change if it does become an issue. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter