Peru reviews?

Karabee

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been on the trip to Peru? Our goal is to get to Machu Picchu, and were looking at all options (tour vs. no tour, companies who provide tours vs. staying at the Lodge). I'm interested to see if anyone has been on the Peru trip and what the thoughts are. Thanks!

You will most likely have better results if you post this question on the ABD discussion forum.

This forum is dedicated to Dis Exclusive ABD trips and we have been on the Peru Adventure.

Has anyone been on the trip to Peru? Our goal is to get to Machu Picchu, and were looking at all options (tour vs. no tour, companies who provide tours vs. staying at the Lodge). I'm interested to see if anyone has been on the Peru trip and what the thoughts are. Thanks!

I'm going to move this over to the ABD forum. I am sure you will get some feedback there. As mentioned above, this sub-forum is for DIS exclusive adventures.

Welcome to the ABD Forum. We do have several folks who have been on the Peru trip. They should be by to answer your questions. We also have a few people who've posted on this forum who are scheduled to take the trip this year.

Also, if you check the Trip Report Sticky at the top of this Forum, you'll find 3 Trip reports for the Peru ABD. Let me know if you need any help locating them!

Sayhello

This is a fabulous trip...so much so that my husband and I are repeating it again in June!!:cool1: and we've convinced 26 of our friends to come along:yay:

We have been on Southwest Splendors, and Swiss Alps with ABD as well, and although they were great trips, they don't hold a candle to the Peru ABD. You will not regret it if you book this trip!

My family did the Peru tour in July and it was incredible. Both my husband and I said Machu Picchu was the most amazing thing we had ever experienced. Can you do this on your own? Absolutely. Did Disney make it stress free? Yes. Our kids had a great time and so did their parents. We were a little scared of the idea of a group tour, but enjoyed it so much we have booked another for this summer. It was much more relaxed than I had anticipated. I was afraid of very early mornings and long days but the tour was quite laid back. Most days we started touring about 9:00 and dinners wrapped up by 8:30. This was perfect for younger children in the group but the older teens were a little bored in the evenings. We had sufficient free time to do stuff independantly and the guides offered 2-3 optional excursions if you wanted more structure or less relaxation. Our son wants to go back and do the 4 day hike on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu and I would love to return and spend more time in the Sacred Valley and Cusco.

Thank you for moving this post to the correct place! I'm fine on the Disney World boards but this one had me lost for a bit!

I'm so pleased that everyone enjoyed it so far! It would be me and one other person and to see Machu Picchu is my dream, something we must do.

My biggest concern is the fact you do not stay at the Sanctuary Lodge. Do you get to the gates before the sun comes up? I want to see it as early that day as I can and really enjoy it for a whole day. How did that day work out?

The tour does not get there for the sunrise. I think you must hike in or stay at the Sanctuary for that experience. The tour takes an early train from the Sacred Valley. You must then take the bus up to the site. That all takes awhile. We did spend most of the day. In the morning the quide gives a basic tour. The group then went back to the gate (by the Sanctuary Hotel) for lunch. After lunch we had a choice of a further tour (we were all over the place) with the local guide, or hiking with another quide or spending time on your own. We left late afternoon. My family was done by that time. The site is covered with steep stairs and it was very warm. It would have been nice to have stayed on site and spent some time just sitting and soaking it all in, but the tour was very indepth and I don't think there was much we didn't see. I think some members of our group inquired and the price of staying on site started at about 1500.00 per night. It would be a once in a lifetime experience. I am sure you could stay in the village for less but you would still have to take the bus and I don't think you would be able to experience sunrise.

IceHawkMom - Thank you so much! Two more questions for you and then I think I'll be done! We're still unsure if this will be a this year trip or next year. How early did you have to book?
Also, our concern about group tours is that we are enjoy being active and we have slight concern that we will be held up (for example, I would probably be on any guides heels so I didn't miss anything). Just from your experience, did you have anyone on the trip that perhaps should not have been on that active of a trip and held up the group?
Thanks!

IceHawkMom - Thank you so much! Two more questions for you and then I think I'll be done! We're still unsure if this will be a this year trip or next year. How early did you have to book?
Also, our concern about group tours is that we are enjoy being active and we have slight concern that we will be held up (for example, I would probably be on any guides heels so I didn't miss anything). Just from your experience, did you have anyone on the trip that perhaps should not have been on that active of a trip and held up the group?
Thanks!
Karabee, I haven't been on the Peru trip, but what you're asking is one of the great things about ABD. You have 2 Guides. And if there is a case of one or more folks not being able to (or not wanting to) "keep up" with the group, they'll split up, with one Guide taking the slower group and the other taking the rest. I would assume this same sort of thing would apply in Peru. I've never felt "Darn, I wish we didn't have to wait for so-and-so."

Sayhello

We have found on all the ABD's that we have done that there are people who are "active" and those who are less so. The guides do a wonderful job of catering to both - usually one guide goes ahead with the fast group, and one will stay behind with the slower group - never making anyone feel uncomfortable or like they are an inconvenience. They do this very well and this is one instance where having 2 guides is a plus.

Thank you all so much! I've traveled all over Europe without any tours, so the thought if doing a tour scares me. However, I know that Disney is the best!

The fact there are two tour guides helping out with the tour and therefore allowing the group to be covered at all angles is wonderful. I didn't mean it in a mean way, I just want to make sure I'm getting out of this what I am hoping. This is alot of money to spend but the more I hear reviews, the more I think it would be worth it.
Thank you! :goodvibes

We (DH and I) did the Peru trip in 2010. We have traveled extensively both together and by ourselves to many international destinations and shared your reserves about doing a group trip, especially since we don't have any children. But, we absolutely loved the trip. (We did out second ABD this past Christmas). I was typically at the front end of the hike right behind the guide so I could hear every word that was said. DH was usually bringing up the opposite end because he took 10 pictures of everything!! With the two guides, I never felt like I was being slowed down and he nver felt rushed, so I wouldn't worry about the pacing. While the Machu Picchu day didn't go from dawn til dusk, we did not feel at all like we were rushed nor did we feel like we missed a "must do" by not staying at the lodge. The other sites we got to see on the trip were equally mind blowing.

For me personally, I thought the ABD trip was an amazing way to experience this destination. For comparison purposes, the other option I would consider would be to do the trip as a hiking tour. I do feel that that would be a spiritual experience but you would likely have to sacrifice many other sites that the country has to offer - depending on how long of a trip you can take.

We booked about 6 months in advance. I don't think you need to book too far ahead as long as you are a little flexible.

We never felt that one member of the group slowed any of us down. Like others had said, we always had at least 2 guides and at Macchu Picchu and in most of the Sacred Valley had a third guide named Rudy who was awesome. There was always an option if you wanted to be less active and a few times various people took advantage of that for different reasons. Some times there was the really active option, like the hike at Macchu Picchu. You had to be in great shape for this one. That being said most of this trip is active and the tour guides are in amazing shape. We had one stop where Armando carried children up this huge hill. I am in decent shape and I felt the climb but he never even slowed down with a 10 year old on his back. There is lots of climbing, walking, and hiking but the tour guides would usually climb a ways and then stop and "give us a lesson" climb a bit more and "give more lessons" Only a few times did I want to go a little faster. I think this is mostly done to help with the adjustment to exercise at the high altitude. We live close to the Rocky Mountains so my family didn't have issues but some in our group did. If you are coming from an area of low elevation you will probably notice it more.

I did this ABD in 2008 and loved every minute of it. It was an amazing way to see Peru. I have also traveled in Europe on my own, but this was a destination that, to me, seemed "better safe than sorry," so we wanted to go with a tour.

I would highly recommend the ABD. However, since you are looking at other options, and want max Machu Picchu time, you may want to look at Classic Journeys as well. I just got their new brochure in the mail, and see that their current Peru trip features two days at MP for the family tour and three days for their cultural walking tour. (staying in Aquas Calientas though, not at the Sanctuary.)

Whatever you choose, I second sjlsk8r that it's worthwhile to enjoy as much of Peru as you can, as opposed to just the MP area. It's an awesome country!

The Lindblad/National Geographic Peru itinerary spends one night at the Santuary Lodge. The price is $4490 per person, so it's around $1100-$1200 more than ABD. For kids under 18 there is a $500 discount. I traveled to the Galapagos with them last year and the trip was fantastic.

The Lindblad/National Geographic Peru itinerary spends one night at the Santuary Lodge. The price is $4490 per person, so it's around $1100-$1200 more than ABD. For kids under 18 there is a $500 discount. I traveled to the Galapagos with them last year and the trip was fantastic.
Wow! That looks like a really great itinerary. I'm going to have to keep that in mind for next year.

Sayhello

Thanks All!!! These recommendations are something worth looking into. I love the idea of traveling with ABD, but my only hang up is the fact you are at Machu Picchu less than a full day (I assume the bus doesn't leave before dawn to get there). I just always pictured spending 2 days there. However, I do want to see more of Peru and love the thought of being able to travel there and not worry about transportation or which hotels are the best. Europe I know so much about - South America, not so much!!

I have not yet visit Peru, but really wanna have a trip. After reading you experiences I feel it was too adventurous.

My cousin went there last year and loved the trip. The beautiful pictures he took make me want to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter