Perennial-Liatris

Mamu

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Liatris-Also called Gayfeather. These are tuberous root plants, once planted in the spring they need very little care other then dividing them every 4-5 years. Grow in sun, in rich well drained soil. Their grassy foliage gives way to tall spikes of a feathery, close to the stem flower. They come in white and violet. Liatris grows to heights of 24-40 inches.

They are one of my favorite flowers, and also loved by goldfinches. Many a day I look out to see this plant covered with finches eating the seeds.

Liatris

I have a large stand of these great plants in my main flower garden. The tall spikes with fluffy lavender flowers add a nice height and contrast to the other garden flowers. My only regret is that I planted them too close to my stone steps... and they tend to crowd the walk way at the height of their flowering. They naturalize very well and reward those that plant them with a full display in a very short period of time.

Mamu - thank you for the great perennial bio's - these are very fun.

Thanks Mamu,
Great idea. How many would you plant together and how close Mamu? I think I'll try them again. Probably not enough water or they were poor stock the last time. Do the voles eat the tubers?

DD good idea about giving them plenty of room too. They prob get as big as some of the grasses.

Glinda I like to put 3-4 roots 6-8 inches apart. After the first year you should have a nice clump of flowers.

I never have a problem with voles. my problems come from Ducks, geese, squirrels, deer and woodchucks.

Do the deer and woodchucks eat them? Ducks, do they eat your plants too! I thought I had it bad.

Glinda I border conservation land and have a lot of problems with animals.

The deer strip the bark of the trees.

The woodchucks eat everything and anything that grows.

The skunks dig up the bulbs and the yard.

The ducks eat my water garden plants.

The geese are just a plain old nuisance they leave the droppings all over the yard.

A falcon terrorizes my birds.

Raccoons distroy my bird feeders.

The squirrels eat all the peaches.

A heron eats my goldfish.

This list goes on and on. But it part of learning to live with nature. Which sometimes can be very challenging.

I just planted a bunch of these to border my new garden plot. Well....I planted in late February. A few are coming up and some aren't showing at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter