• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Per day cost for Disney Dining plan

WillowRain

You can find me at Animal Kingdom!
Hi everyone! We are planning a 10 day trip next January. The plan is to eat in park only 5 of the days, cooking meals the rest of the time. So I am wondering, if we were to get DDP for the 5 days and eat at the higher end places, would it be the best way to stretch our dollars? Figuring we eat breakfast at the hotel and then lunch snack and sit down meal in park. Does anyone know what the per day cost is per adult and child? I am trying to find a chart or something but it seems you have to price out a trip to get the cost per person. Thanks so much.

Are you staying on site? I think you can only get the meal plan if you stay in a disney resort. Also it needs to be for the length of your stay. So you cant do just 5 days. I will get back to you with the prices per day.

I was under the impression that you could get it for half the stay. Yes I am staying at BLT. My mom and Grandma will only be going for 5 days in park, so we want to eat in park those 5 days. The remainder they will be at the hotel and cook meals for us kids.

I was under the impression that you could get it for half the stay. Yes I am staying at BLT. My mom and Grandma will only be going for 5 days in park, so we want to eat in park those 5 days. The remainder they will be at the hotel and cook meals for us kids.

Dining Plans are "All or Nothing". Everyone on the room reservation must be on the identical plan and it must be for the entire length of the reservation.

Steve

The only way you could do 5 days on and 5 days off would be to book your stay as two separate reservations. You may be forced to switch rooms in the middle. Also, you can't book this as two separate room/tickets packages or you will be paying more for two 5 days tickets. You will need to book room only, buy 10 day tickets and then upgrade your room only reservation to a room/dining package.

There are plenty of number crunchers out there who have found that the dining plan most likely will not save you money over paying out of pocket.

BTW, if you are sharing a room and book as a package, everyone has to have the same tickets as well. You will have to book room only then buy tickets separately to get you a ten day and Mom and grandma 5 days.

I would contact Dreams Unlimited to help you since this is getting pretty complicated. It does not cost you anything to use a travel agent - Disney pays them.

The only way you could do 5 days on and 5 days off would be to book your stay as two separate reservations. You may be forced to switch rooms in the middle. Also, you can't book this as two separate room/tickets packages or you will be paying more for two 5 days tickets. You will need to book room only, buy 10 day tickets and then upgrade your room only reservation to a room/dining package.

There are plenty of number crunchers out there who have found that the dining plan most likely will not save you money over paying out of pocket.

BTW, if you are sharing a room and book as a package, everyone has to have the same tickets as well. You will have to book room only then buy tickets separately to get you a ten day and Mom and grandma 5 days.

I would contact Dreams Unlimited to help you since this is getting pretty complicated. It does not cost you anything to use a travel agent - Disney pays them.

I rented points from a DVC member, and I already bought the tickets. Okay so no go on the dining then. No biggie. I was just hoping to get a bigger bang for our buck at the high end places. But sounds like with all the desserts and stuff that it would be too much food and in fact not as worth it.

I rented points from a DVC member, and I already bought the tickets. Okay so no go on the dining then. No biggie. I was just hoping to get a bigger bang for our buck at the high end places. But sounds like with all the desserts and stuff that it would be too much food and in fact not as worth it.

In my experience we get the biggest bang for the buck by splurging on the meals we really want, getting some QS and some groceries (we like the super Target in town for regular prices and huge selection, plus they have a great souvenir section). We have tried the dining plan but it never works out to be a good value for us. Besides the fact that it's a lot of food and time while you're on-the-go, we feel obligated to choose the most expensive dishes rather than what we really want to eat. Most of the time, we don't want dessert but it's very rare that they will swap it out for something else on the menu. And it's hard to carry around leftover dessert from a TS

Also consider what aspects of vacation dining you value in addition the price tag. When we travel with my sister, we have most dinners and all character meals together, plus my husband and I usually have 2 nice meals alone, and we get snacks in the park. She gets the dining plan for her group of 4, I pay OOP for my group of 5 and we always end up paying way less. But she also likes eating a QS and TS everyday for a week and doesn't even want to make a sandwich when she's on vacation. The most effort she wants to make is throwing away a takeout box. Which isn't a judgement, when she's on vacation she wants to be on vacation from everything. I get sick of restaurant meals, even salads and sandwiches from QS. When we stop for QS in the middle of day we don't want to feel full and we usually end up sharing 2, maybe 3 QS meals. We're big eaters and it really ends up being plenty. I don't budget for sharing, but that's what we usually end up doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter