People who wear glasses - any bargain tips?

mum4jenn said:
You are very lucky then. MOST people have eyes that change more often than that. I once got a new prescription on my glasses and contacts and within 6 months they changed so much I was having headaches everyday. Since my vision insurance had already been used I had to pay full price and I ended up paying almost $500 for new ones.

Wow. I guess I wrongfully assumed that as we age our prescriptions change less and less.... (this is what my eye dr. told me and I proved it out but everyone is different - this illustrates that fact). Best of luck to you! Hope you find a quality deal.

mum4jenn said:
You are very lucky then. MOST people have eyes that change more often than that. I once got a new prescription on my glasses and contacts and within 6 months they changed so much I was having headaches everyday. Since my vision insurance had already been used I had to pay full price and I ended up paying almost $500 for new ones.

FYI, Lenscrafters will replace the lenses if the prescription changes for 12 months from the time of purchase for $50.

I have to agree with those folks who wouldn't even consider buying glasses online. My vision is 230/20 in both eyes and I have glaucoma. Although I've worn glasses since I was 6 years old, there is no way I could judge frames without trying them on. Even with the newer thin lenses, my prescription is strong enough that not all frames can accomodate the thickness of the lenses.

I've had problems with getting the lenses ground in the past and on the worst occassion had to have them redone 3 times because the optical center of the lense was off just a smidge. The prescription is strong enough that it makes a difference to me. My glasses go on before I get out of bed in the morning and don't come off until I am in bed at night. To me they are a medical necessity and I am willing to pay what it takes to get something I am comfortable with... in the case of my last pair of glasses, it was $270.00 at Lenscrafters with the AAA discount. I am thrilled with them and feel I got a very good deal. I've spent my life comparison shopping for glasses so I know what I need.

BTW, my insurance has a $40 allowance every 2 years for glasses so this is coming out of my pocket!

JMO, YMMV

:flower:

I just bought glasses at Sears 2 weeks ago and got no line bifocals for $97 . I had used on line to find a store to get an exam. www.searsoptical.com and I noticed today that they are advertising 2 pairs for $98 reg and lined bifocal. I don't know what you need but thought I'd pass it on. I'm not sure about eye exam. I paid 40 I think but had AARP discount. I know they have different other discounts too ask what they give. Hope this helps. Carol :earsgirl:

I have seen e-bay mentioned on this thread, but not in the same manner in which I have used it. On a couple of occasions, I have gone "shopping" in the regular full-price eyewear place and found great designer frames that come with a HUGE designer price tag! I simply have the salesperson write down the style #, etc. and go home to look it up on e-bay. I have been successful on 2 occasions in finding the frames I wanted. The $300+ Gucci's that I found at the eyewear store this year I found on e-bay for $3 ...... no kidding. You just have to be patient, as not all sellers are selling for the lowest possible price. It also helps to have a couple of styles in mind to look for. After receiving the frames, I take my Rx that my doctor wrote out for me and the new frame to Sam's club for the lenses. Comes out pretty cheap.

One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet. You can reuse frames when your prescription changes. Just take them back to where you bought them and they can usually remove the old lenses and put in new ones. That way, you only pay for lenses which saves a lot.

bianca said:
I have seen e-bay mentioned on this thread, but not in the same manner in which I have used it. On a couple of occasions, I have gone "shopping" in the regular full-price eyewear place and found great designer frames that come with a HUGE designer price tag! I simply have the salesperson write down the style #, etc. and go home to look it up on e-bay. I have been successful on 2 occasions in finding the frames I wanted. The $300+ Gucci's that I found at the eyewear store this year I found on e-bay for $3 ...... no kidding. You just have to be patient, as not all sellers are selling for the lowest possible price. It also helps to have a couple of styles in mind to look for. After receiving the frames, I take my Rx that my doctor wrote out for me and the new frame to Sam's club for the lenses. Comes out pretty cheap.

Bianca, I will keep that in mind! Thank you! Wow. I never thought to look for the designer frames on ebay. (It was an absolute fluke for me to find my prescription sunglasses there.)

Lots of great ideas. Thanks for this thread, OP!

disneysteve said:
One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet. You can reuse frames when your prescription changes. Just take them back to where you bought them and they can usually remove the old lenses and put in new ones. That way, you only pay for lenses which saves a lot.

Therein lies the problem. My glasses are on my face from the moment I open my eyes until the moment I close them. I can't be without them for 1 week (BJ's time frame) or even 2 days (Pearle's time frame) while they replace the lenses. I have an old pair, but I can't wear them in public (they're held together with a paperclip)

I've had my current pair for 3 1/2 years and paid almost $300 for them, so I guess I got my money worth. Sort of. I intend on keeping the new pair for at least as long, if not longer. The good thing about my new pair is that they have the clip on sunglasses attachment, so they essentially function as prescription sunglasses too.

My current pair is still in very good shape, so next time my prescription changes, I'll be able to just get new lenses.

I appreciate all the input and the web sites, but I don't think I'd ever buy online (and I'll buy just about anything online :rotfl: ) I need to try frames on, I guess I'm just too picky.

I bought a pair of glasses for $98 at Sears - they have occasional sales - or 2 pairs for $170. This includes UV protection and shatterproof lenses. I didn't like the looks of BJ's frames or the lower priced ones at Pearl Vision. Do not have a For Eyes close by but have heard good things.

Target is running their annual special, 2 pairs for $199. This includes no-line bifocals. There is not extra charge for strong prescriptions but you'll pay extra if you need the high index thin lenses.

I bought my glasses at Sam's Club. I am very fussy and wanted fancy glasses, and shopped around until I found what i wanted. They were still somewhat costly at $227 (Zeiss Brand) but they are the frameless kind, i have the special options (non glare coating, etc) and something comparable in the mall or other eyeglass places would have cost more than $400. Also, I put money into my health spending account at work to take advantage of an additional tax savings so my out of pocket is reduced further.
Contact lenses are uncomfortable for me and are not an option for everyday.
With glasses, my view is that I wear them every day and they are a fashion accessory, much like jewelry. They are the first thing that people see when they look at your face.
I could have bought the 2/$99 at BJs, but I didn't like any of them.
BTW --I LOVE my glasses and receive compliments on them all of the time.
I buy a new pair probably every 18 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter