*peeks in* Anyone still here I know??

Gina

Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
*waves*

I have missed all my DIS cruise board buddies sooooo much, but just haven't been able to bring myself to be here.

I rebooked while we were onboard this past February, in order to secure the shipboard credit for next time, but then had to cancel a few weeks after we got home. Turns out my ex had flaked yet again on child support, and it caused a huge and immediate problem. I had to get that deposit money back in my account, and fast. :( I also had to pull most of next year's vacation money out of that special account and plug it back into the regular one to help take care of things. I was so heartbroken... I couldn't imagine a February without being on the Magic, and this was going to be the first year that my little boy could be in the Oceaneer's Lab instead of the Club -- and he was so looking forward to that.

For the past several years, I have always had either a WDW trip or the cruise to look forward to... it serves as my light at the end of the tunnel when everything else is blowing up in my face. Some days, it's the only good reason I could think of to drag myself out of bed, and it always worked -- a few minutes of gazing at the Magic as my computer wallpaper, and my mood would do a 180.

It got to the point these past 4 months where I was even dreaming about it... I had resigned myself to at maybe just sailing on RCCL or Carnival, which sail about 25 minutes from my house, and for nearly half the price. But I kept dreaming that we took the Rhapsody of the Seas, and it was docked at the same port as the Magic. I stood on the end of a pier in my dream as the Magic blew that famous whistle and sailed away, while I just waved and cried. :(

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I figured I could do some reverse (for me) financing and use next year's tax refund for next year's trip. (I usually have the past year's refund set aside for that.) I'll have to give up our beloved #5132 Navigator's Veranda that I so adore, and go with a cat. 11 instead. There will likely be no bingo for me *sob* and no excursions, and no Mickey's Mates shopping sprees. But I have a new reservation, and God willing, I will at least be on that ship come February 21st. :bounce: And my little boy will get to turn 8 on the Magic, which I think is really neat.

And just on a whim, I called the Castaway Club today to explain my plight and just see if by some miracle they would reinstate the shipboard credit if I rebooked my rebook. (Did that make sense?? *lol*)) She was very nice but said she didn't think so, but said she would ask anyway. Lo and behold, she came back and said that yes, they would reinstate it. :) So at least I'll be able to have a few drinks and maybe play just one game of bingo. :) The problem will still be airfare... for once, I don't have miles or vouchers. So I'm not sure how I'm going to swing that yet. But I'll figure it out. I just feel like a 100lb weight has been lifted from my shoulders, just having the reservation. I am going to appreciate this cruise more than any other, and savor every moment.

And I am SO sorry this got so long... I just miss everyone here so *much*!! It's really really good to be back. :) :)

~gina~

Hi Gina! :) Welcome back! :)

What a wonderful way for your son to celebrate his 8th birthday. :earsboy: I'm so glad you are able to plan again and it's great to have you back here! :sunny:

*hugs*

Thanks, Michelle :) Now I just can't wait to see if they extend the new itineraries to when we're going! I just wish they would switch out St. Thomas and keep St. Maarten. :)

~gina~

Hi Gina,
I was part of the February 1st group that planned to meet up at the Radisson and then onboard. I had to change our ressies to the January 4th and missed the party.
Hang in there girlie - I've been a single mom to two amazing young women forever. They were 2 and 3 when their dad left and they are now 18 and 19. Financially it is always a struggle (now I am looking at college tuitions!), but somehow we have found a way to get away. We sailed on our 5th DCL cruise and #6 is scheduled for January 3rd of next year. We bypass the verandah, so that we are able to cruise more often.
Enjoy every moment with your son - they grow up when you're blinking your eyes.
Take good care of yourself. It's good to get an update.

With Affection,
Dawn Hope

Hey Gina....welcome back....glad you were able to book again. I know how you feel when there is not a cruise on the horizon....pretty much what I am feeling now. We just came off the 5/17 Magic and had a great time!!! I have a trip report over on the trip report board with some pictures to put you even more in the mood to cruise!!!

MJ

MJ!! *big hugs* So glad to hear from you, and so glad you just went cruising again!! I can't wait to see the pics!!

And Dawn, thank you so much for your encouraging words... I'm pretty much ready to ride in the cargo hold, as long as it means getting to go. ;) Now I just need to win two airline tickets, and I'll be set! *lol* And I know what you mean... it is inconceivable already to me that he is 7 -- I can't imagine him being a teenager. He was just a baby last week, it seems... but my baby is almost as tall as me now! :eek:

And I know there are plenty of people -- like half my family -- who think this is a waste of money... but it's not like I'm spending mortgage money to go, and we live a pretty spartan life. Happy, but no frills, you know? And I like to think these are experiences he will carry with him always.

And possibly I'm just walking that fine line between brilliant theory and stupid rationalization again. ;)

*pictures herself up on deck 10 with a Malibu Colada in her hand*

I'm going with brilliant theory, I think. :p

~gina~

Brilliant theory works for me! My family think that I am insane with Disney Obsession. I don't even tell them about my plans until just before we are getting ready to go. La di da. I ask them for nothing and they shouldn't criticize how I spend what few hard earned dollars that I have.
So, sweetie "You've got a friend in me....."

Dawn Hope

Gina welcome back. I wish I had 2 ticket to give you but I am sorry to say that I don't. If you can get the extra time off from work maybe you and your son could drive.
Could you have a yardsale to gain some extra cash? I know you said you lived a pretty spartan life already but are there things you could cut out like going to the movies or fastfood carry-out dinners.
Your DS could tell people when he is asked "What do you want for Christmas? Money to go towards my plan ticket to Fla. LOL

You could pack your our cocktail fixings and save for a few more games of bingo or a little treat from the DCL shops.
Gina it does matter what stateroom your in just as long as you're aboard. All the fun is outside the staterooms anyway, that is unless your cruising with Joe Namath. LOL

You'll make out just fine Gina you sound like a gal with a plan.

Originally posted by Gina
But I kept dreaming that we took the Rhapsody of the Seas, and it was docked at the same port as the Magic. I stood on the end of a pier in my dream as the Magic blew that famous whistle and sailed away, while I just waved and cried. :(

Heavy sigh... dabbing my eyes...

*hugs Ginger*

I don't really have anything to sell in a garage sale, and we don't go to movies unless it's a new Disney or Harry Potter movie. :) And I don't even like driving to work -- there's no way I could ever drive to Florida... I'm impatient when I'm going on vacation -- even planes take too long. *LOL*

Thank you very much for the suggestions, though. I have more Delta miles than I thought, so I'm trying to come up with a way to get enough to get at least one ticket that way. Worth a shot. I'll figure it out. :) Really, I'd even give up bingo and Mickey's Mates if I can come up with the $$ to upgrade... some of the most soul-imprinting moments I have had have been late at night on my veranda. I want that again. If not, then not, because actually getting to Florida is more important, but I have 8 months to plan all this out. :)

-gina-

Hang in there...things have a way of working out in ways you least expect when you least expect it. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks about you "wasting money", sounds like you are making great memories with your son. Have fun on your cruise 'cause I know you'll be there!!
P.S. I also like your tags...we're from Katy so we are neighbors!!

Originally posted by 2tinksmom
Hang in there...things have a way of working out in ways you least expect when you least expect it. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks about you "wasting money", sounds like you are making great memories with your son. Have fun on your cruise 'cause I know you'll be there!!
P.S. I also like your tags...we're from Katy so we are neighbors!!

Thank you so much... we'll definitely be there, if I have to swim down the Intracoastal Waterway to get there. ;)

How are things in Katy? Probably as miserably hot and buggy as they are here, huh? LOL I walked outside today to get the paper, and thought I would have a heat stroke. Ugh. Then I made a Malibu Colada and put on some steelpan music, and everything was a-ok. :)

-gina-

Good morning "Ginger."

All the fun is outside the staterooms anyway, that is unless your cruising with Joe Namath.

Or me...

Good morning to you as well, Gina.

some of the most soul-imprinting moments I have had have been late at night on my veranda.

I know what you mean. It's like receiving a tatoo from God...

Gina,

So glad you were able to rebook and have the cruise to look forward to. That's really great that DCL was able to give you the shipboard credit as well. Making time and memories for you and your son is a wonderful thing. Here's hoping some luck and extra money come your way so that you can do your upgrade (I love the Navigator Verandas as well) and even get in a game or two of bingo!

You've got bugs? See, and I was thinkin' they were all over here...

Michele

Originally posted by ohioMickey
Heavy sigh... dabbing my eyes...

1crysad.gif

Gina,
I am usually a lurker over here, but your post inspired me.
I am too thinking of ways to save money.
I take at least $20each payday and hide it in a drawer, Once its in there I cant spend it. Its not a lot of money, but it will help with a drink or bingo. We also save our change in a jar.
If you use coupons, maybe you can put the money you saved with coupons in the drawer,
Heres what I do for inspiration. We make a chart with my goal at the top. Say I want to take $1000.
Everytime I put money in the vacation acct, I mark it off,
Its really neat to see us getting closer to the goal. It helps the whole family get involved. We mark it off about 2 X's a month.
Hang in there and you will realize your goals.

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I do those things... the problem is never saving money, it's having to spend that money for other things every time my ex flakes out on child support. And unfortunately, kids are expensive... you all know how it is. But I can squeeze a nickel until it screams, and will keep doing so! I could squeeze even more, but I like to at least keep the small level of comfort that we're used to.

As far as the tex credit..... Grrr, don't even get me started. I fall just under the minimum line, so I won't be getting anything, unless they have passed the extended guidelines they were fighting about recently. But even if they did, they said that probably wouldn't be realized until next year. What ticks me off is I am not someone who shouldn't get it because I don't pay taxes in the first place -- I work 40 hours a week, I own my own home, I pay *plenty* of taxes. I just don't make that much according to their chart, but our cost of living -- and wages -- are very low here. Oh well... that's government... that $400 would have bought our plane tickets, yes.

But it's all good.... we're so lucky that we get to do the things we do, and I'll keep coming up with ways to make them happen! :) So many people have so much more to worry about, I hate even stressing about it. Everything will work out exactly the way it's supposed to. :)

-gina-

Hi Gina.

As far as the tex credit..... Grrr

You guys have a tax credit just for living in Texas???...

kids are expensive

I'm hoping and praying "Buckaroo" will get a scholarship to MIT or the only "cruise" vacation I'll be able to afford is a few hours of Tom at our local movie theatre...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter