• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pedometers at WDW

i brought my pedometer with me on a trip before our son was born. now that we have him we don't seem to walk quite as much but definitely alot. we averaged about 12 miles a day. we walk everywhere and do things like walk from epcot to DHS which adds to the mileage and makes me feel less bad for the sugary frozen margaritas i pound once i get there! lol!

I know this an older thread, but I was wondering the accuracy of them when on rides. I bought an Omron tri-axis one that says it can read in your pocket, bag, etc.

Read the last paragraph of my previous post here. It should answer your questions......................P

Here I am!

Here is my experience with a pedometer at WDW.

I wore one last year when I went with DS. It was supposed to be a "good" one from Brookstones that I got at a yardsale (new in package)..... but I could never seem to get it calibrated quite right. It always recorded DOUBLE my mileage.... but at least I knew that and could do the math and get a good estimate of my mileage. This year I bought a new one at Target... not particularly expensive (New Balance brand), but after I read the directions and got it calibrated correctly, it seemed very accurate. I tested it by walking (and running) on the treadmill and comparing the miles on the TM to the miles on the pedometer.... plus I recorded steps a few times (up and down the driveway) and my head count was accurate with the pedometer's count.

I wore the pedometer on my waistband above my back pocket, but it did say that it could be worn IN the pocket. I tested it on my back waistband and side waistband and didn't find a big difference in the accuracy.

Here is how my two trips broke down for mileage....

May 2010 with DS.....

Friday
Left home 4 am
Arrived at AK 10:40am
Left AK arrived at MK at 4:30 pm
Left MK and at hotel by 10:30 pm .......pedometer reading 11.5 miles

Saturday
Arrived at DHS at 7:20 am
Back to hotel for swim 4pm
Back to MK by 6pm
Left MK and back to hotel by 12:30 am.........pedometer reading 15.5 miles

Sunday
Arrived at Epcot 8:45 am
Back to hotel at 3:45 pm for rest
Arrived at DHS at 6:45 pm
Left DHS and arrived at MK 10:30 pm
Left MK and back at hotel 2:00 am............pedometer reading 17 miles

Monday
Arrived at MK 8:25 am
Left MK for airport 3:15 pm
Plane left Orlando 6:15 pm...............pedometer reading 9 miles

May 2011 with DD

Friday
Left hotel and arrived at AK 8:15 am
Left AK and arrived at Epcot 12noon
Left Epcot and back at hotel 1:00 am.........pedometer reading 17.4 miles

Saturday
Left hotel and arrived at DHS 7:12 am
Left DHS and arrived at MK 4:00 pm
Left MK and arrived at hotel 8:00 pm
Left hotel and arrived at Chef Mickey's 9:12 pm
Left Chef Mickey's and back at hotel 11 pm......pedometer reading 10.65 miles

Sunday
Left hotel and arrived at MK 8:30 am
Left MK and arrived at hotel 12:30 am...............pedometer reading 12.8 miles
(probably would have been more miles, but we waited in line for TWO hours to meet Rapunzel and sat on the side walk from 7pm until 10:15 pm for parade and Wishes)

Monday
Left hotel and arrived at AK 7:05 am
Left AK and arrived at MK 12:30 pm
Left MK and arrived at airport 6:15 pm...............pedometer reading 8.5 miles

I felt like I walked WAAAY more with DD this year, but in looking at the readings, they seem similar. Plus I've been having some foot pain issues recently that I didn't have last year, so it probably made me more aware of all of the walking.

If these readings seem high to you, you need to know that we have no particular "pattern" in touring the parks. We think nothing of riding BTMRR and then walking to Space Mountain to use FP and then back to BTMRR and such. The day we walked 17 miles in Epcot, I wasn't really surprised at the reading. We kept criss-crossing FW to ride different things and to check on the wait times board.... plus we did the entire circuit of WS twice I believe... and it was our longest day of touring.

I did check the pedometer a few times before and after rides (mainly I remember checking it before and after Space Mountain and Rockin' Rollercoaster) and it did NOT gain any appreciable steps. Plus I lost the pedometer on Space Mountain at one point in time and when I got it back (they were GREAT about finding it for me!!) it was virtually the same reading as I had remembered from the last time I had checked it. It had a good clip on it and it only fell off twice....once on Space Mountain and once in the bathroom as I was adjusting things.

Any questions?......................P

I know this an older thread, but I was wondering the accuracy of them when on rides. I bought an Omron tri-axis one that says it can read in your pocket, bag, etc.

I have that pedometer and checked it on tower of terror and it did not change the count.

I second the FitBit if you can afford it. DH and I both wore one on our last trip and averaged between 8-11 miles each day. We wear it daily at home also. A great motivator!!
I like that it has a snug secure fit and I am not afraid of it falling or bouncing off.

Greetings and pixie dust! I've been away too long but its good to see this discussion continuing. I saw a reference to the Omnitron tri axis (?) and the Fitbit. I'll scan the thread to see what else is mentioned. I have been using a little Walmart pedometer but would like to upgrade. One of the problems I have noticed with wearing it on my shoe is that the settings can get changed. Suddenly I'm in kilometers instead of miles or my "inches per stride" setting is changed. I'll keep a better watch on it when we go to WDW for a last minute trip ... next week!!! Wooo! Hooo!!:yay:

... Does anyone recommend a certain brand?

OP, you said you have a pedometer on your shoe? I've never seen one that attaches to the shoe, I'd be interested if you could post a link! Also, did you find the rides affected your step count at all?

Thanks for the post!

I got the idea of wearing the pedometer on my shoe from my BIL who was enrolled in a walking program through his insurance company. The model I used for the longest time was a little $4.99 Sportline from Walmart. Recently I found it untrustworthy simply because the settings were easily changed when I let it rest on the floor or brush against something as I walked.

... I have a Fitbit and its quite accurate ... It's a little pricey but it sync's with my computer everytime I'm within 15 ft. of the base and keeps all my information on their website. Was totally worth the cost.

The Fitbit I saw was about $90 or so. Sounds like it works well for you. What do you think now? Any updates?

So the cheap pedometer I got at Wal-Mart before I left was deemed ineffective once we landed in Orlando (it was counting double my steps) so I decided to give my iPod Nano's pedometer a shot. It fit in my pocket perfectly and proved very accurate - the rides didn't interfere at all. It keeps a history and lots of different stats. I'm thinking about looking into the Nike + to go with it for next time, so I could track mileage and everything! I was initially hesitant to use it because I'd read somewhere that the battery drained very fast, but it held up for me just fine.
For remainder of quote see original post. Leitadala uses the iPod Nano's pedometer. Any updates, Leitadala?

After some research I too bought an Omron (model 720) that includes computer data collection with a mini-USB port and a computer based record keeping program. The unit is much larger than my old Sportline and costs about $45. I got it just before our last trip and had to get it programed as best I could. I did find that it registered steps on Space Mountain and Test Track. Since my Omron took total steps and "aerobic steps" I decided to subtract those steps and rework my total steps on the basis of an 18" stride (Hey, I'm 5'2". that's accurate for me.)

On Thursday evening Feb 16th we drove from home to Tallahassee

Friday Feb 17th we drove from Tallahassee to our hotel (Pop) then went to EPCOT for a few hours that afternoon. The following are my best calculations based on what I've just told you above.

3.38 miles

Saturday Feb 18th we spent the day in MK until 1am with an afternoon break back at Pop

6.82 miles

Sunday Feb 19th we spent the morning and some of the afternoon at EPCOT then returned to MK for the evening stayed until almost 3am for EMH

6.73 miles

Monday Feb 20th we were still in the park until 3am (the Omron automatically resets at midnight) and walked around the resort before we left the next morning.

3.49 miles

Total 20.42 miles

I'd still like to hear more about your experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter