'Pearl Harbor' Box Office - The Second Wave Strikes

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
The preliminary box office figures for the weekend are out. ‘Pearl Harbor’ took in $30 million – about a 50% drop form its opening three day total. While this drop is serious, it’s actually a few percentage points better than ‘Jurassic Park: The Lost World’ and ‘Mission: Impossible 2’ have done after a Memorial Day opening (but much worse than 'Star Wars: Episode I', although I don't think you can make a fair comparision between 'Pearl' and 'Star Wars'). A trend like this usually means that ‘Pearl’ will have one more good weekend at the box office. After that, theaters will start pulling screens in anticipation of the next super-hot, but short lived summer blockbuster (‘Tomb Raider’ on June 15). Through sheer force of will, Disney could get the total domestic box office up to about $200 million, meaning it will be up to the international market and video sales to determine if the film breaks even or turns a profit.

The other big news was that ‘Shrek’ was down only 33% - that’s considered very good (if not downright excellent. Looking at the day to day totals, ‘Shrek’ overtook ‘Pearl’ on Sunday and ended the weekend at with a total box office of $28.5 million (my predication last week came much closer to becoming true than I thought it would). The early projections are that the green guy will out draw the love triangle by a good margin next weekend. Given the apparent staying power of the movie, ‘Shrek’ will top the $250 million take from ‘Toy Story 2’. Some are saying that the ogre could hit as high as ‘The Lion King’ (around $300 million), but I really don’t see that happening.

While Disney has avoided a ‘Godzilla’-like bomb, the box office can still only be seen as disappointing, especially considering the pre-release anticipation and the production costs for this film. And the fact that ‘Shrek’ will make more money just rubs salt into the wounds.

P.S. The ‘Atlantis’ soundtrack is out now. Very John Williams-like. I’m also starting to hear some good things about this movie. I’m looking forward to being pleasantly surprised.

I was watching Movie SUrfers today, and Mya performed her song off of the soundtrack....its really good I think

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter