Peanut Butter Sandwich...and CHILI???

I'm just surprised people eat a sandwich with their chili. :confused3 Then again, we put sugar in ours so some people probably find that weird, too.

Sugar! Me too! Got that from my dad- we put sugar on chili, tomato slices, and spaghetti sauce :o

I think pb and chili would each make the other taste weird. I like both, but not in combination. I will do grilled cheese with chili, especially if the chili is leftovers and I want it to go further as a meal.

Our school lunches were chili and cinnamon roll.

I just heard this mentioned on a cooking vlog. It is apparently a regional thing (vlogger is from Kentucky)...my mind is blown (not in a good way LOL). Am I the only one who has never heard of this combo?? I'm intrigued and horrified at idea. Dipping a peanut butter sandwich in your bowl of chili. Say wha?????

I'm a Kentuckian and didn't know it was something specific to our Commonwealth. A bunch of us kids did it in elementary school and thought we'd created it.

(And yes, I still dip my peanut butter sandwich in my chili. Yum yum.)

I hate wet soggy bread so I’m not dipping my sandwich in anything.

I just heard this mentioned on a cooking vlog. It is apparently a regional thing (vlogger is from Kentucky)...my mind is blown (not in a good way LOL). Am I the only one who has never heard of this combo?? I'm intrigued and horrified at idea. Dipping a peanut butter sandwich in your bowl of chili. Say wha?????

There was a glare on my laptop screen so I thought the topic was "Peanut Butter Sandwich...and CHILL???"
I couldn't figure out what Netflix had to do with pb sandwiches.

I love chili and I love peanut butter.......might have to try them together. :thumbsup2

I'm from Texas and it's not considered real chili here if it has beans in it.

I’m from Indiana and we always had pb sandwiches with chili at school and yes, I like, no love dipping my pb sandwich in my chili. That or I put pb on saltines and dip those. Yummy! Can’t have a bowl of tomato soup w/o a grilled cheese for dipping either.

What’s gross is my husband putting pb and mayo on his bologna sandwhich!:crazy2:

I live in IN now and this past December my office had a chili cookoff luncheon, there was a HUGE platter of peanut butter sandwiches near the chili. I was so confused and mostly
grossed out. I had to ask around because I did not understand but apparently chili and pbj sandwiches were served everywhere in schools for lunch and it still lingers. Ummm no

And when I make chili I put in pinto beans, kidney beans and black beans if I have them. But no coffee
Beans or no beans in chili is a very hot topic lol- almost fighting words

I'm from Texas and it's not considered real chili here if it has beans in it.
See? ROFL

I’d say it needs its own separate thread but it’d probably get locked :D

While I think that’s gross, ppl here but potato salad in their gumbo. I find that gross too, but whenever school lunches served gumbo, there was also a side of potato salad. Thankfully, it was left to the individual to mix them together if desired. I did not!

I can't imagine ruining a good gumbo by putting potato salad in it!!! :sad2: Yes, I know some do, but we certainly would not!
That seems to be a fairly recent (last few years)phenomenon or I didn't know about it.

Love chili with cornbread though - in fact never fix chili without it. I also add a little brown sugar, and sometimes sprinkle shredded cheese as I'm eating it. As for grilled cheese sandwiches, actually they go good with most any soup or chili, for that matter.

Lived in KY a few years but never heard of the chili/peanut butter combo.

Last edited:
I can't imagine ruining a good gumbo by putting potato salad in it!!! :sad2: Yes, I know some do, but we certainly would not!
That seems to be a fairly recent (last few years)phenomenon or I didn't know about it.

Love chili with cornbread though - in fact never fix chili without it. I also add a little brown sugar, and sometimes sprinkle shredded cheese as I'm eating it. As for grilled cheese sandwiches, actually they go good with most any soup or chili, for that matter.

Lived in KY a few years but never heard of the chili/peanut butter combo.
I’m almost 40 so I’ve had gumbo served with potato salad since I was in elementary, but we never mixed ours. The first time I heard that I was like eew. Also have seen ppl mix white beans with jambalaya. That’s something that they do up north, though. And by up north, I mean BR, lol. I’ve never seen anyone in NOLA do that.

I live in Michigan, but grew up in Indiana. Chili and peanut butter sandwich go together. Many school lunches serve this combo frequently.

I have lived in Indiana my whole life. I never had a peanut butter sandwich until I started eating school lunch. My mom never liked them. We always had peanut butter sandwiches with chili. In fact it was a wonderful peanut butter I have spent years trying to recreate. I know they mixed honey in the peanut butter, but something else is in it too. They were wonderful sandwiches that people would bring extra money to buy extras.

I live in Michigan, but grew up in Indiana. Chili and peanut butter sandwich go together. Many school lunches serve this combo frequently.

Very surprised they would serve peanut butter (anything) in school lunches with all the peanut allergies out there!
As for that combo, never heard of it (deep south) but every region seems to have their preferences, and that's good. I love them both - just not together!! :goodvibes

Another Hoosier. We grew up with PB sandwich with chili. But not PBJ. It was a school lunch staple.
Most just eat it on the side. Some dip. Not a full sandwich for us, usually just one slice of bread folded. The school PB was whipped with honey and delicious.
And it's common to have a little pasta in chili here, usually spaghetti or macaroni noodles. I've seen it both thick and thin/broth-like. Mine runs mid-range and I use whatever pasta I have (cooked separately) so it doesn't swell up and get gross.

Kentuckian here. Raised in rural Kentucky and at school, chili was always served with peanut butter sandwiches. At my last job, we always had a chili cookoff at Halloween and you could sign up to bring the peanut butter sandwiches. I do believe that this is more popular in rural areas of the state. I live in Lexington now and about 20% of the people have ever heard of this. We started a chili cookoff at my current job last year and when I asked if anyone wanted to sign up for peanut butter sandwiches, most people called me crazy.

I have lived in Indiana my whole life. I never had a peanut butter sandwich until I started eating school lunch. My mom never liked them. We always had peanut butter sandwiches with chili. In fact it was a wonderful peanut butter I have spent years trying to recreate. I know they mixed honey in the peanut butter, but something else is in it too. They were wonderful sandwiches that people would bring extra money to buy extras.

Could it have been fluff? Some amish places around here make it with honey and fluff. It’s not really good for you but it is delicious! lol!

It's ridiculously tasty. Peanut butter and anything tomato-basedd is a great combo!

Definitely not a Pennsylvania thing!
My son has a severe allergy to peanuts and his doctor always reminds us not to let him eat chili unless we make it. He says people sometimes put peanut butter in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter