paying for DVC with credit card

aprilzw

Proud mom, wife, and Disney fanatic!
I know I've read posts where people were talking about putting their purchase on a card to get FF miles, points, etc. Can you do this only through Disney or resale, as well? I'm assuming only on the 'new' purchase.
Thanks!

We've recently done this with our VWL add-on. It was "new". I have no experience with resales.

I just responded to your other post, it seems we have had the same questions. I did put my BCV purchase on my chedit card exactly for the purpose of FF miles. I check in with the Timeshare Store about doing this with a resale, and they said that it was not an option.

With Disney all you have to do is put down a deposit and it does not start collecting interest until June when you close. So I will just put the rest on my card then, after I would have taken my 7 night deluxe vacation that was included with my purchase.

Belle and Rella's Dad
with another one on the way I will have to change my moniker

April, you can't use a credit card for resale purchases. However, the price savings over direct purchase from Disney more than makes up for the loss of ff miles;) ;) ;) . We HAVE used our AMEX Delta Skymiles Card for add-ons which we purchased via DVC.

Good Luck,

Both our purchases were resales, so we couldn't use the credit card there, but we do charge our dues payments to our card to get the Airmiles. And when you convert to $Cdn we end up getting 1.6x the number of airmiles we would if we lived in the States. Bonus!! :D

- Mike

MikeJ

Are you able to use your CC for payments of the dues? Our guide told us that although we would be able to use it for the purchase that we would not be able to use it for dues. I hope you are right.

Belle and Rella's Dad

April, the dues which Mike charges on his credit card must be paid in a lump sum annually. If you wish to budget your dues with monthly payments , DVC won't let you charge them.

Know you can use Amex, Mastercard and Visa to purchase points, but you can only use Mastercard and Visa to pay annual dues.

ralphd:) :) :)

Ralph is correct. I'm still irritated that DVC won't accept my AMEX for annual dues. I thought that AMEX was the preferred card of WDW.............shows you what I know;) ;) ;) .

This is exactly why I have a Milesone mc and an Amex, so either way I can get ff miles! Too bad we can't charge our dues monthly!

Evidently it has something to do with the agreement that Disney has with AmEx. It sounds as if AmEx won't ALLOW them to charge dues to AmEx.

If you do charge the purchase of your timeshare, you lose the ability to deduct the interest that you would pay if you financed the purchase with a morgage deed. So are the airmiles worth that lose in taxes? See your accountant.

TexasAggie,

Gig em! (I hope thats how you say it)

We put it on a CC and then paid it off with a home equity loan that had an interest rate of 7.5 %. So we were able to have the best of both worlds, I guess the best would be if I had an extra 20 grand laying around.

Belle and Rella's Dad

The decision to accept a credit card is usually the retailers (DisneY). Disney will negotiate the card companies commission with each card company. Disney will decide what card they will accept based on the card compaies cost, customer demand and other operational considerations. The card companies charge will vary for different customers and for different types of accounts.
Amex probably charges more for a transaction than Disney is willing to pay for processing the annual dues.

ralphd
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hi y`all.
We`re about to close on a resale this week. Originally I was going to get a bank loan for $8000 ( the rest was in cash) but I got in the mail a blank citibank check for transfers @ 3.9% for duration of loan. I jumped and it worked (started thinking about more points ,but wife would kill me). I never looked once at these transfer offers before ,glad I did this time.

3.9% is OUTSTANDING. Just be sure that you pay more than the monthly minimum. I'd set a goal to pay it off in full over a set # of months:) :) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter